VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
EconoCarl
Nightmoves
Van Halen
G-Man
8 posters

How much is my van worth??

How much is my van worth?? Empty How much is my van worth??

Post by Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:21 pm

I have no intention of selling my van. Ever.

I am however curious to its fair market value. I've got a 1965 Chevy Sportvan. 100,000 on original straight-6 engine. Very well taken care of. Custom wood paneling inside. Original hubcaps etc. 3 on the tree. Windows all around.

A few photos are located here:
    http://vintage-vans.smugmug.com/gallery/9636150_cqR79#649751864_LWdZx

Any ballpark estimates?

Thanks,
    Mike
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

How much is my van worth?? Empty Re: How much is my van worth??

Post by G-Man Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:58 pm

Sadly our vans aren't worth that much when it's comes to selling time. We all have way more in them than what we can sell them for. I can tell you this the prices are higher now than when I started in this. Used to see very nice vans all the time for $1000 and those vans are now at $2500. Still cheap in the Hot Rod world.
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Number of posts : 1785
    Registration date : 2010-04-30

Post by Van Halen Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:59 pm

Funny I just got my tax bill for my van and the valued my van at 22,600!! Of course I think they added a zero.

http://www.nadaappraisalguides.com/?gclid=CMGv9LObl6QCFcOd7QodU3r33g is a good way to see how much it is worth.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Then again,insurance companies have their own charts too.
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:26 pm

Nightmoves wrote:Then again,insurance companies have their own charts too.

I can vouch for that!
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:48 pm

I woulden't sell Mine for 5 Grand ..... But would have trouble Getting 1000.00 for it !!!!! LOL........

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:38 pm

Where your van is located make a differants also, being a very nice First gen on the west coast is not the same as a very nice first gen on the east coast

Post by Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:10 pm

i have mine for sale for 5800. have had calls but noy sold yet. i always say its worth what you can sell it for. now when you build something and have an emotionl attchment to it its real real hard to set a price on it, figure your purchas price, parts you have bought, labor you have paid out for things you cant do and your time is worth something too, you quickly come up with a price that you would be almost impossible to sell it for, thats just how it is. damn meds i cant spell right. if i sell mine for 5800. im still not breaking even but right now thats not my focus need the money to keep my house,dang doxtors and meds.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:37 am

I have seen some restored vans up here sell for 10K, no interior but nice paint and full retoration.

My van is currently being appraised, I will let you know when I find out what they come up with.

M1D
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:33 am

I've sold several musclecars, including two that I restored, a classic truck and also a couple vintage harleys on no reserve ebay auctions. Although I felt some of my vehicles, particularly the 2 restorations, were in line with the NADA description of what 'average retail' is, the actual selling price was closer to the 'low' book value on NADA classic car values. With this in mind, I consider the 'low retail' NADA classic values to be fairly accurate.

Here's a little blurb from the NADA website that I also feel is applicable to vehicles I've sold in the past:

Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value.

The 'low' value vehicle represents what most of us would consider a fairly nice van, not a project or a parts van.

I think the 'average' values are probably what a dealer might be try to sell for and should be something that could do well in a car show with no additional work done. A very nice van might be closer to the "average retail" value. Very few members on this site own such vans...

I usually ignore the 'high retail' value because I feel it is not realistic unless you are watching the Barrett-Jackson auction on TV or something?

The 'low retail' value of a 1965 sportvan custom is listed as $3625, with a 10% deduction for a 6 cylinder engine, so consider $3263 as your van's NADA value.

The NADA value is a base estimate, and your vehicle's price can go up or down from there, depending on condition, upgrades etc.

Keep in mind that often, those custom non-factory 'upgrades' that owners do are considered unfortunate 'downgrades' by potential buyers and would result in a lower resale value...

I think the NADA value system is a little odd when it comes to our vans, since 1st gens were available only with the 6 cylinder, there was no v8 option. Also NADA lists a '66 as being worth a little less than a '65 or a '64, which I think is also odd... but maybe its because a '65 is older and considered more rare, hence being a little more valuable?

Post by Guest Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:00 pm

barrett-jackson has ruined the market man!

Post by Guest Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:28 pm

It sounds like if you're selling to someone with access to all this specialized price data that you're essentially screwed and that the money will never reflect the sentimental value of the vehicle. HOWEVER, if you're selling to someone who doesn't know where to look this stuff up you might be able to get the full 'cool rig' price.

This is good to know.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:01 pm

I got my van appraised by a pro apraiser. He is 30 plus years in the appraisle business including working for the government insurance corp . Cost me $165.

His report says the vans value do to condition make model and age is $5000 Add to that the appriased value of the mods and with particular note of the disc brakes the report says add $5000 for mechanical upgrades.

Quote: in the unfinished condition the replacement value is not less then $10.000 and I need to have it reapraised when the interior is finished and/or when the body is redone.

I have more then that into it and I probobly couldn't get that much if I sold it but at least I know that if it gets wrecked or stollen I could argue for ten G's or more from the insurance.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:25 pm

,,,,,if that happens, Michel, you ain't getting my van away from me for 10 grand,,,,,
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Number of posts : 1785
    Registration date : 2010-04-30

Post by Van Halen Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:24 am

Ok I fought the tax man saying my van was worth way less than $22,600.After back and forth photos and online data it was just reappraised for $4950!! I get a $200 refund from the man..Score!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm