VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
G-Man
donivan65
6 posters

Info on chevy vans

Info on chevy vans Empty Info on chevy vans

Post by Guest Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:56 pm

First time poster...
    i'm interested in buying a chevyvan, probably a 2nd gen (not opposed to buying a 1st gen). anyhow, i'm looking for general information. i've tried to do a little research on my own, but there is a lot to sift through, so i was hoping to get the low down from the experts. i'm interested in a few specific areas (but welcome any/all info). did any year come with factory disc brakes, auto trans, power steering? how/where are disc brake kits available? do the vans share any steering/suspension parts with any other gm cars/trucks (chevy II, nova, c10?). is there a frame or a uni-body design? what is suspension design? how difficult are upgrades to drivetrain, steering, braking, electrical, etc. what ideally interested in is a late 60's van swb panel, with power disc brakes, power steering, auto trans, that i can use as a daily driver, possibly at some point swap in a diesel engine (maybe from an isuzu npr) i live in a hilly, urban area (sf, ca) so going up and down hills safely is a must. also i'm not totally opposed to a dodge or ford, but only if they are vastly easier to meet my needs. sorry, for any and all overlap with other posts, and thanks for any info and help.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Info on chevy vans Empty Re: Info on chevy vans

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:13 pm

Some answers are: 2nd Gens, 1967-70, came with v8's and auto trans, 90 and 108 wheelbases, no power steering or power brakes, no disk brakes, (but I have seen a few hydrovac units on them),,,,The front suspension is a solid I beam,,,,not related to cars at all, There is no frame,,,,just unibody construction. You definately want to upgrade the electrical system. The good part is you can modify it any way you want or can afford,,,,,,
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:23 pm

I'm not trying to steer you away, but most of the things you want our vans didn't come with. I have seen many of the things you want custom made for our vans, but it can be costly. Maybe 3rd gen chevy,2nd gen ford or 2nd gen dodge is more what you are looking for.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:00 pm

I have been to San Francisco a few times in my Van. And that is the worst place to drive around in a Vintage Van. The hills and tight parking spaces, if you could ever find one, were just too hard to get around with a 3 speed trans, drum brakes and no power steering. I would have to say, power steering and brakes, with disks and an automatic transmission is mandatory......The only way to get around that city is with a little motorcycle,,,,,,

Info on chevy vans Frisco10

Info on chevy vans Frisco11
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:08 pm

or in a Mustang,,,,,,

Info on chevy vans Th_sf4

Info on chevy vans Empty thanks

Post by Guest Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:36 am

thanks for all the info... i still want a van though. although, i'd like to be able to drive it someday. maybe as a 2nd project. might have to go with an early 70's c10 swb in the mean time, meanwhile i'll keep dreaming, and/or looking into something slightly newer. not necessarily a mustang guy, but that charger held it own! thanks again. i'm sure i'll have more questions later.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:21 pm

It just depends on how much you like a van and how hard you want to work on driving it. You RIDE in newer vans, you DRIVE a Vintage Van. We are just giving you a couple of opinions. You have to decide what is best for you. I will drive my van back through that city again,,,,,,nothing is going to stop my fun,,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:33 pm

just saw a 69 with a 307v8, and turbo 350 in the area...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/823721019.html

will post this in for sale section in it isn't already there. i recently sold my 63 impala, which also had no power steering, or power brakes so i know it can get a little stressful, although usually worth it. so i haven't given up by any means, just collecting data, and $$.

Post by Guest Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:31 am

I am also a new poster here.

I had my 64 three on the tree when I lived in SF. I didn't think it was that bad. I couldn't afford the hilly neighborhoods though. Putting stock size tires was a big improvement. Steering fat tire was a bummer. I think you just drive these vans different. You also just figure out the best ways of getting around etc. As long as you love the van you will make it work. Good luck. Oh ya, For parking sake I would stick with a 90 inch wheelbase.
    Dave

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:10 am

Hey,

Iwannavan, first I will say welcome to the site I am fairly new here and have found everyone here to be helpful. I like the Gremlin picture reminds me of my Gremlin which I would like to post pics of some day. Anyway, I had a first gen chevy '65 (see my pics) I agree with donivan, you drive a vintage, so for the most part you overcome the inconvienences. I doubt that there is anyway to do powersteering on the first or second but third has many options available. I had a 3rd ford and know that power is available but it wasn't nearly as much fun to drive (no offense just an opinion). Go with what you REALLY want and you won't be sorry. Look around this site for more info on mod's they are everywhere.

Good luck and God bless.

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:25 am

I remember reading that the 2nd Gen G20's could be had with power brakes (hydrovac). In 69 and 70 Dodge had power steering as an option. It was more of a power assist ala early Mustang or 2nd Gen. Ford van. "Proper" power steering wasn't available until 71 on Dodges and Chevys.
    EdddieMello
    EdddieMello

Number of posts : 57
    Registration date : 2019-08-28

Post by EdddieMello Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:29 pm

I went to bordering state Oregon to buy A 70’s Gimmy van I saw online last summer but passed on it upon inspection. On the way home I saw this 1st gen for sale along the highway. I had never seen one and knew nothing about them. I enjoy it more and more everyday. My wife won’t get in it but her loss.
    birdman66
    birdman66

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2020-12-20

Post by birdman66 Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:51 pm

been lookin to buy a 66 but cant seem to locate one here in florida . anybody out there have one they want to sell please let me know .
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:06 pm

birdman66
    birdman66

Post by birdman66 Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:10 pm

that is a great van but waaaay to much money for me
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:51 am

birdman66
    birdman66

Post by birdman66 Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:52 am

Hi. i recently bought a 66 g10 window van and iam trying to locate a engine dog house... mine seems to be missing. does any body have one they sell please let me know . thank you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 am