VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
RodStRace
61econoline
6 posters

Opinions Please

Opinions Please Empty Opinions Please

Post by Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:32 am

I own a 72 SuperVan I drive it daily. It's mechanically sound but I've never done anything to it cosmetically. The body is in real good shape no dents to speak of other then the back bumper that has a small backing into a pole dent. The interior needs a complete make over though.
    Should I hang on to it? As it appears it's not really the kind of old van that people are wanting. Will this type of van ever be classified as a vintage van or die of old age like myself? LOL
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Opinions Please Empty Re: Opinions Please

Post by 61econoline Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:20 am

Mechanically sound,straight body,probably paid for I say keep it.Or you could donate it to me LOL
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:06 am

What's not to like? Mechanically sound, fairly uncommon and it's gotta be past the point of depreciation and into mellow old age.

Unless you can't afford it or are struck by the beauty of some other vehicle and want to swap it out, just keep it and enjoy. Go crazy on it if that's what you want, but there are very, very few vehicles right now that will be a good investment to restore, so don't do it for the money but for the love.
    Wrong year, but look at the pride!

Opinions Please 1970s-custom-van-couple
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:09 am

Your van is a vintage van and worth keeping is it worth alot of $$$ NO, but either are the early's

But the way Nice Van and welcome to the site
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:17 pm

Welcome! 2nd Gen Econolines like yours have a distinct feel to them too! Grille treatment and small hood... not many of them around either. Really, they can look bad@$$3d! Your van, being a panel van, was the preferred style of choice for customizers back in the day. It's easier to add a window than it is to remove them, so you have choices with a canvas like yours!

Enjoy it however you want to... eventually, your Econoline may be the last of it's kind in your area, instead of having the same kind of car like everyone else!
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:43 pm

I like your van keep it. Bill

Post by Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:50 pm

try picturing a hyundai sonata sitting where you van is.... then go give your van a hug.
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:35 am

It's funny, 30+ years ago I had a 66 Dodge, and while I loved it, the second gen vans, with the engine moved forward, were something I wanted to upgrade to at some point. Face it, the engine between the seats is not the best design for moving around inside. My van at the time, although fixed up pretty nice if I do say so, was getting kind of dated and looked at as "old".

The 2nd gen econos (and dodges and chevys) were really nice for fixing up. Great use of space inside (although I remember almost zero leg room in the econo front passenger seat). And I prefer the panel vans, so since yours looks to be in pretty good shape I say keep it. I think you'll regret getting rid of it (and for what? - like the example of a Hyundai). It'll never be worth much money (well, never say never) so whatever you put into it has to be for your own enjoyment. But that's an important consideration too - in fact THE most important thing.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:44 am

steve wrote:try picturing a hyundai sonata sitting where you van is.... then go give your van a hug.

X2!

Try scuffing the paint, fixing the bumps, maybe add these
    http://www.trucknvans.com/5pc-Flare-Kit-69-74-Ford-p/fkef-md.htm
    and having it painted. Throw some wheels on it, and you will see how it can look!
    example
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pts/1620971091.html

The interior can be added later, depending on your needs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:16 am