VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Airbag suspension

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Airbag suspension Empty Airbag suspension

Post by southern man Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:13 pm

I think I'm ready to take the plunge on my '64 Econoline. Previous owner lowered it with a drop axle up front and removed one or two leafs in the back. Stance is nice, but it is a handful to drive so the airbag is pretty much an essential next step (already has new shocks). I will need to upgrade the rear end at some point as the gears whine like a banshee once you get over 55 MPH, but I've talked with a number of people who have told me I can just change the gears later (7" currently). (I don't plan on putting any real stress on it with a big motor.)

So, I think my next step is getting the suspension into a driveable state, therefore I've just started my search as to what system to use. The choices are numerous, with component systems at the bottom of the price range to complete systems that look like they will be much less labor intensive to install. Any suggestions??? I realize with my custom drop front axle that this may complicate things.

I posted this in "general discussion" rather than just the E section in hopes of getting a wider audience.

Airbag suspension Empty Re: Airbag suspension

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:44 am

Not trying to change the subject on your thread but i was wondering where to get a drop axle? I know you said yours was already installed when you bought it. I have a dodge 108 and would like to lower it a couple inches and a drop axle would be the ticket for the front?...Rat P.S. your black E looks sweet!!! I Love the old school rat rod look
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:24 am

I think you might be able to source a drop from one of the companys that services the old ford (32 etc) roadsters. However, not sure I would recommend it. Aside from the handling issues I'm dealing with the ground clearance is VERY low. About 3" from bottom of the axle to the pavement. I don't plan to go off road with it, but I'll have to be careful of any road debris. A dead animal likely wouldn't clear it, so I could end up dragging a stinky carcass if I'm not careful. Other hazards could be worse.

Thanks for the compliment, but I can't take credit for the paint & wheels. Indeed I will probably paint it a totally different color and change the wheels. But I gotta get this suspension fixed first.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:57 am

There's a bagged 62 listed on Seattle craigslist... sorry, the link is around somewhere. Never saw the details of how it was done. I would bet that a four-link could replace the leafs in the front and rear, and then the stock axle could be used. Sorry I can't be more specific, but the topic is interesting to me. Wish you luck.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:53 am