VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

IFS, IRS anyone tried it?

IFS, IRS anyone tried it? Empty IFS, IRS anyone tried it?

Post by Guest Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:25 pm

it seems like the general opinion about these vans is that they handle and ride terribly but it seems no one has tried to upgrade the suspension. anyone try? any reasons not to?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

IFS, IRS anyone tried it? Empty Re: IFS, IRS anyone tried it?

Post by G-Man Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:33 pm

there are some upgrades, but for the most reason I would say cost is the main factor. Welcome to the forum!!! What kind of van do you have???

Post by Guest Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:41 pm

lol ya the cost is why mines on cinder blocks for now. shes a '61 econoline window van with the 200 swap

Post by Guest Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:48 pm

I have seen people use a Mustang II front suspension but everyone of them went back to the stock straight axle. I prefer stock, it's part of what makes them fun to drive.

Post by Guest Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:55 pm

ya even though they really aren't that big i don't think the mustang 2 would work that great i'm considering using a crown vic ifs but it might be too wide and a thunderbird rear. i actually haven't driven mine yet Sad

Post by Guest Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:29 pm

well everyone tell your opinion on it because i'm torn. solid axles or all around independent. if i go with the independent i'd probably be scooting the engine back about a foot and a half maybe more. i wouldn't be slamming it or hardly lowering it at all, i'd like it to look like i put new wheels on and thats it.
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:30 pm

My pickup is getting Aerostar IFS and T'bird IRS. I'm going to bag all four corners and try to set it up like the early BMC hydrolastic suspension. If the hydrolastic doesn't work out I'll just add a pump and ride height sensors for a full air ride suspension.

Yeah, I've thought about it a little...

Later,
    Rip

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:35 pm

i've never heard of using the aerostar ifs. how you gonna do that it sounds interesting. i've pretty much figured out the t bird rear but haven't found a good front set up.
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:14 pm

Econoline frame rails set right inside the suspension, if it were any closer it wouldn't fit. Gives you power steering and disc brakes. Streetrodders are using them.

I had them side by side for a while, taking measurements etc. Might have to rotate the steering rack a bit, but not much and not difficult.

Rear engine 302/HD 3speed bolted direct to the IRS, that along with an IFS should be a great ride!

Later,
    Rip

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:52 pm

sweet i was gonna have to chop out part of the frame rails and make a narrower section for the crown vic, plus it'd be so wide i would have a REALLY limited selection of rims. i might have to have you send me some more info on that front end. i was thinking a 300 with clifford intake and exhaust or a 302 mounted right behind the front seats on a t-5 tranny

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm