The van is in o.k. shape for a 40-year old vehicle, but there are a few problems that need to be addressed and any advice is greatly appreciated. Also, I had a local garage that works on "old stuff" and they seem to have a decent business, but I'm wondering if the prices for repair are fair on each item listed below:
*I don't know how to do these things, so I figure the shop should do it:
1. Replace front wheel brake cylinders, resurface rotors, adjust brakes: $300.00
2. Replace rusty exhaust pipe and muffler: $225.00
3. Transmission Fluid Flush: $100.00
4. Full tune - up (includes new wires and plugs): $400.00
*I think I can figure these things out:
5. Replace valve cover gaskets: $150.00 (Should I attempt this myself?) There is residual oil on the motor and tranny and I'm wondering what is the best method to remove it....should I use GUNK?
6. Clean and rebuild 2-barrel carb.: $300.00 (Should I attempt this myself?) Is it worth just replacing the original carb with a new one instead?
7. Coolant Flush and Fill: $90.00 (Should I attempt this myself?)
8. Brake Fluid Flush and Fill: $100.00 (Should I attempt this myself?)
9. Replace fuel filter: $50.00 (Should I attempt this myself?)
10. Ignition: Should I get rid of the original set up and go with an electronic ignition? (I really don't like the idea of setting points!)
11. Window insulation / seals....where can I get them?
12. Seats: Any hot links out there?
13. Wheels: The original 14" wheels are on the van....should I get rid of these and go bigger for any reason? It seems this is a VERY small rim for such a big vehicle.
In addition to your opinion on repair costs, please let me know if you have recommendations for particular parts that work best or if you have something I might be interested in. The only MAJOR part I'm looking for is a right rear door that is dented in.
*Also, what is the best source to obtain a manual / repair guide for my van?