VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Replacing Window Felts..

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Replacing Window Felts.. Empty Replacing Window Felts..

Post by Scott Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:21 am

Getting things done on the van that have been sitting for a while. My window felt kit has been sitting for almost five years now, so its about time I get them installed.

I'm putting them into a 68 GMC G1500 and have run up against a wall. Before breaking or bending something I walked away. I thought it would be best to ask those of you who have already been through this.

My problem is where your arm would rest when the window is down. I can get one felt to snap in, but there isn't enough room to get the second on in place. I think / hope that removing the front window track will allow me to drop the glass forward into the door, which will give me the room I need.

Right now the window regulator is disconnected, and the screws holding the bottom of the front rail / wing window have been removed. But I don't see any screws at the top, and this thing isn't budging.

Is it just cemented into the old hard rubber at the top?

Any suggestions on how to remove it?
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 939
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

Replacing Window Felts.. Empty Re: Replacing Window Felts..

Post by JackeFriend Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:20 am

Scott wrote:Getting things done on the van that have been sitting for a while. My window felt kit has been sitting for almost five years now, so its about time I get them installed.

I'm putting them into a 68 GMC G1500 and have run up against a wall. Before breaking or bending something I walked away. I thought it would be best to ask those of you who have already been through this.  

My problem is where your arm would rest when the window is down. I can get one felt to snap in, but there isn't enough room to get the second on in place. I think / hope that removing the front window track will allow me to drop the glass forward into the door, which will give me the room I need.

Right now the window regulator is disconnected, and the screws holding the bottom of the front rail / wing window have been removed. But I don't see any screws at the top, and this thing isn't budging.

Is it just cemented into the old hard rubber at the top?

Any suggestions on how to remove it?
    Hi Scott,
    I had Don snap in those felts. I did not have the strength. I did take the old ones out had to pry them a bit. He was able to roll down the window and he pinched them between his fingers and the door... pop they snapped into the holes. I had tried for a few days with no luck. I tried to pry them in but I was afraid of bending them or breaking the glass which was just below the lip. All you need are mighty strong fingers it seems?!
    Also I found a source for the Mohair track material for the side track guides. You just glue the back and set into the track then trim any access material with a razor blade. That was easier than installing the felts. Good luck!
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:49 am

Oh great,  thanks Jacke..

Now this has turned into a question of my manhood.   How strong are my fingers..?
    Replacing Window Felts.. Me_fle11

Like you I am afraid I am going to bend the door, or break the glass. I'm a little concerned about pulling the Wing Window as I know that will turn into rebuild project too, and right now I am just trying to finish started projects, not start any new ones.

My kit did come with channel felts, so I'm covered there, but thanks for the advice.

savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2625
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:43 am

Scott took a few pics hope you can make some sense out of them??
    1st one is where the 3 screws at  the top & side of vent window frame(blue tape sorry for Crappy pics)
    2nd pic is where the 1 screw for the back track is. Also there is a screw in bottom of door for the track , for a little adjustment of the glass run.
    The originals felts(cat whiskers) the end behind glass run(stuff I'm holding out) is smashed or shaved to make room for glass run seal
    Also make Sure all your holes for felts line up with holes in door. I had some look like they did, but when I got to last one it was off, then had to pull it out(messed it up)
    Scott if you notice I only have the outside felt on my van
    Hope this Helps . Any questions just Ask
    Replacing Window Felts.. Img_0721
    Replacing Window Felts.. Img_0720
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 939
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

Post by JackeFriend Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:22 pm

Scott,
    But I bet with some advice from more experienced vanner's … your fingers will get it done. They look just right to me! Don has fingers that have seen the worst. I don't think he can even feel them they are so hard and worked!! Mine, soft and tender, were sore for days and bruised. I think I got one clip to go into the slot in 3 days. Liked your picture!! Grrrrrr
    grpphoto
    grpphoto

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2012-07-03

Post by grpphoto Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:34 am

Just did this on an E-100. I'm betting they're the same. Pull the inner door panel and disconnect the regulator arm from the window. That will allow the window to drop down below the level of the felts. I found that I had to install the inner felt first. I lubricated the prongs with grease and used a large flat-head screwdriver as a lever to get them in. I held a piece of wood in the window slot a couple inches in front of or behind the prong I was trying to seat, and held the screwdriver at about a 30 degree angle to the horizontal. That put all the pressure on the prong at one end and the wood strip at the other. That wood strip was about 3/16" thick, but I don't think the thickness is critical.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:49 am

Well, the wife and I finished the drivers side. What a pain in the ass.. Sure not looking forward to the other side, I am going to figure something different out on that side.

Thanks Savage for showing me the screws I missed. Kind of stupid that I didn't find them before, I kept looking in where the window goes for a hidden screw.

Grpphoto, thanks for the advice too. Removing the regulator on the GM's doesnt drop the glass far enough, there is still a lip poking up. But any advice helps, and I actually ended up using the same tools as you listed.

I think on the passenger side I am going to remove the old window track rubber, install these felts, then install the new track rubber. Maybe that will give me enough wiggle room to get it done without removing the wing window.

Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1278
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:03 am

If your fingers are not "strong" enough to pinch, you might try a long set of needle nose pliers:?: ...jm2c

Btw
    Do you have part numbers on what you are using for the window felts?

Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:06 pm

Thanks Space Truckin,

Here is the Repop part number I ordered.
    Replacing Window Felts.. Repop_12
    http://www.repops.com/product-search.cfm?kw=CT322

I was able to pinch them in fine, my problem was more getting the felt to wedge in by the glass so I could get a straight shot at popping them into the door. But even then, as you see below, there was a bit of a manufacture defect going on too.

The bottom of the clip, which is supposed to slide up the back when you clip them in, actually overhangs the bottom of the window felt metal. So when I tried to pinch them in I was actually bending my clips because they wouldn't slide up the back. It was getting worse when I was trying to pinch it in because the more I squeezed the more it would push across the bottom metal of the felt. I used some needle nose pliers and pulled the clip back a little so it could move like it needs to. I broke one, the metal doesn't like to flex much.

Replacing Window Felts.. Window16

Replacing Window Felts.. Window18

The clips were a little jiggly by the time I was done, so I put some drops of Super Glue on them too. And since the clips / felts are just like factory I was able to replace my broken one with one from the old felts I was replacing.

I also had to trim about an inch off the length, they were to longer and pushed into the back window track.

Now that they are in, where the clip isn't real tight, I will probably just dribble a little glue in there. Not really a problem, but me just wanting it to be perfect.

Oh, and on the second door, not wanting to go through the fiasco I did on the drivers door, I did things a little different. I put in the window track rubber last, which gave me a little more wiggle room to get those felts in place. Much smoother.

So, while I was working on the passenger side I found another problem..
    Replacing Window Felts.. Window20

The metal groove that attaches under the metal that holds the glass is missing. I thought maybe it fell down into the door, but its not down there.

Replacing Window Felts.. Window21

So..   If any of you have one to spare, which I think will be the entire metal rail that holds the glass,  please speak up. I will also put a request in Parts Wanted.
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2625
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Scott I got some spares. I'll dig out a few. PM me your info..
    Window Fusses (cat whiskers)are a pain aren't they.  The vent window gaskets are a Lot worse (don't ask me how I know)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm