VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
uncle ron
savage
jrdunn96
vanny
Scott
9 posters

Question about installing this Gauge Cluster..

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Question about installing this Gauge Cluster.. Empty Question about installing this Gauge Cluster..

Post by Scott Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:34 pm

I bought this cluster about 6 years ago and am finally getting around to installing it.

The oil pressure is just a pressure tube up from the block, and the water temp I had to buy a gauge sensor.

But how do I wire up the Battery gauge?  There is a place on the back for two wires. Its not a direct connection to the battery is it?

I don't want to risk frying the thing.

Question about installing this Gauge Cluster.. Img-0510

Last edited by Scott on Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Question about installing this Gauge Cluster.. Empty Re: Question about installing this Gauge Cluster..

Post by vanny Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:29 pm

Scott,

I'm sure the Chevy Gurus will chime in but here's a link to First Gen Wiring Diagrams and the Second Gen Diagrams.

1stGen;

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t25630-first-gen-wiring-diagram?highlight=wiring

2ndGen;

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t25631-second-gen-wiring-diagram?highlight=wiring

If you click on the diagrams, you/ll be able to see the entire picture...
    Hope this helps!  I'm sure some of the chevy guys will jump in too...

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Scott
    Scott

Question about installing this Gauge Cluster.. Empty Re: Question about installing this Gauge Cluster..

Post by Scott Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:25 pm

Thanks Vanny,

The Chevy vans came with dummy lights, but Chevy used old Nova clusters in our vans. The thing is, I think they only used the dummy light clusters. So, this Nova cluster with actual gauges wouldn't be in the van wire diagram.

I appreciate you sending me the links though..
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:38 pm

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:33 am

Yea Vanny! Where are all our Chevy guys? Are they quarantined? That looks like an ammeter, not really a good option in my opinion(JM2C). If you could find a voltmeter, I think that'd be better.
    Jim
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:41 am

They are probably out shopping for TP!!! Rolling Eyes

savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2625
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:44 am

My friend Brain put one in his 69 Sportvan. He fried the first amp gauge he put in by hooking it up wrong. Seems like the Panel van(Step vans) used the same set up.
    I have a 71 Chevy van manual it shows the amp gauge going to the batt.(with fuse) and to taped into the red 12 gauge wire from Alt to Voltage Reg .(also has fuse in wire to gauge)
    I got a gage cluster I was going to use in the 68 I noticed one of the amp gauge got a tang so you can't hook up wrong, But I don't know witch side it goes to(sorry)
    Hopefully some body that Knows for Sure will post.
    hope this Helps some Scott
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:26 am

Thanks everyone for the input, I know AMP gauges are not preferred, there's a lot of juice flowing through them. But, I am wanting to use this cluster, and there is no chance that I am going to find a Volt module.

Savage, thanks for the wiring info, will be good reference when install it.
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2625
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:34 pm

Glad to help Scott. Maybe see if you can find info on the step van wiring??
    Question about installing this Gauge Cluster.. Img_0622

Think my Friend Brain didn't have his fused .the first time when he Blew the amp gauge.
    Brain did get his working & it Look & worked good.
    You can put small tack in the center hole, like I did on the 68,
    Before the Slight Adjustment
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:43 pm

Great looking gauge cluster, Savage! Do the skeletons eyes act as turn signal indicators? What a Face

Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:16 am

I considered putting a tach in the center, but right now I am really on a mission to get the van on the road again before Nationals. Nationals is two hours away from me this year, so I am wanting to get this on the road again. Right now I have a long list of things to get done, and purchase.

I have to buy new side windows, and a rear bumper. I also have to weld up some holes in the front Window frame before I can get a new windshield installed.

Last year I pulled a little bondo from the front center. So now I need a little body work to get it straight and painted.

You can say I have my work cut out for me..  

The tach. I have probably wouldn't be the one I move in there anyway, and with all the other expenses it has to wait. I was about 20% started on the gauge cluster install, thats why its going in  now.

As far as the amp gauge goes, I looked up an amp gauge at Autometer's website and downloaded the directions.  
    uncle ron
    uncle ron

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2012-05-31

Post by uncle ron Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:39 pm

Scott wrote:Thanks Vanny,

The Chevy vans came with dummy lights, but Chevy used old Nova clusters in our vans. The thing is, I think they only used the dummy light clusters.  So, this Nova cluster with actual gauges wouldn't be in the van wire diagram.

I appreciate you sending me the links though..
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My 69 G10 came from the factory with gauges . Added the Chevy II tach 50 yrs later.Question about installing this Gauge Cluster.. 074_a12
    Question about installing this Gauge Cluster.. 07413
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:48 am

Thanks for posting Uncle Ron,

Obviously from my above post I didn't think the gauges were ever offered in our vans. That looks great, and I like the look of the factory tachometer. So where does that put your 'BRAKE' light?

I just found the tachometer on Classic Industries website for $180.
    https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1965/chevrolet/chevyiinova/parts/ss515.html

Since I am getting conflicting answers on where / how to wire in my AMP gauge I will go back to Vanny's post and pour through the Wiring Diagram for the 69 w/V8. Maybe find a optional wiring for the gauge cluster.
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 741
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:01 pm

My 69 has the full gauges also......I'm installing an "Intellitronix" panel though, because I'm using a 4L80 trans that hasn't a way to connect a speedo cable.....
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:19 am

that Batt gauge is an amp gauge. connecting it like a volt gauge will ruin tit.
    There are two ways to connect amp gauges.

Need to see the back of it to see if it has a shunt.

I will look at the wiring diagram and see what is on it.

M1D
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:17 am

It looks like it uses a shunt, which is good b/c there isn't huge voltage going through the gauge. But you'll need to get that shunt to get it hooked up. I don't know enough to know if you can substitute any ol shunt in there. It looks like the factory part is DELCO REMY Part #1961149
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:47 pm

I've decided not to use this guage, and will instead work with my stock setup / after market guages.

Thanks for all the input, good info.
    SteelyVan
    SteelyVan

Number of posts : 112
    Registration date : 2009-08-14

Post by SteelyVan Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:22 pm

Scott wrote:I've decided not to use this guage, and will instead work with my stock setup / after market guages.

Thanks for all the input,   good info.

I wanted badly to use a similar cluster (Nova Chev2 SS). I realized with amp gauge, mechanical oil pressure gauge, and wrong (30) ohm gas gauge....it just became a pain in the ass idea.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Fri May 01, 2020 8:32 am

The gas gauge worked fine on mine, but I was having trouble finding the right oil pressure fittings for the back of the gauge. Then I really was leary about wiring all that juice though the old amp gauge. I already had water temp and oil setup with SunPro gauges. I just decided to go with what I had.

I will eventually test the AMP gauge in that old cluster to see if it works, just want to know the condition of it all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 pm