VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
DanTheVanMan
donivan65
6 posters

Windshield Rubber?

savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2625
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Windshield Rubber? - Page 2 Empty Re: Windshield Rubber?

Post by savage Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:18 am

I cut about a inch & 1/4 out of mine, I still think it would fit without cutting?? But it would be harder to get it in right. I just user supper glue ,to glue it back together. the 64 ND is still holding so far(2years) As for the bedding compound, Mac told me to put the Bedding compound on gasket, and it worked great no mess , Not like the guy who I paid to do 64,he put it on van and it was Everwhere
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:24 am

Well if it is 1 1/4" too long, that would be like trying to button up waist size 30 pants and would look about the same,,,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:15 am

The glass guy was here this AM. I had already come to the conclusion the gasket was fine , the replacement window had been cut way to small.
    Windshield Rubber? - Page 2 Windsh10
    Windshield Rubber? - Page 2 Gasket11
    I put the gasket in the opening , it fits very well
    Windshield Rubber? - Page 2 Gasket10
    On that note, decided to put my old windshield in the Hippy Van, but have to wait to get some minor rust taken care of first, and we are going to experiment with cutting a windshield out that can be Urethaned in with a simple molding on the outside, inside trim out to be decided later, made a pattern this moring and will allow an extra 3/8" for a seal surface.
    Windshield Rubber? - Page 2 Mike_m10
    My conclusion: Size does matter ! with windshields anyway. Another good thing about this, going after a bronze tint.
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by wacko Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:22 am

So the stock 64-66 Pick-up truck window rubber will work with-out cutting it?
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:27 am

From what Im seeing ,,Yes,, Looks to me like it has more to do with who and how they cut the glass.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:15 pm

If you can, trace a pattern of the body opening as well as the 2 windshields. I want to know just how much clearance a windshield needs to fit inside the frame which is filled in by the gasket. Something is really off in those 2 windshields, thats too much of a difference,,,,,And we can get some good dimensions off your patterns for future discussions on windshiels and gaskets,,,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:09 pm

I think the main difference is the gasket they had used on the tinted glass, It is similar if not the same as what one would use on a flat side window, Kind of an H pattern, very thick in the center where the glass meets the steel. The Project windshield was mounted in a gasket that looks the same as the new one. That may have been a replacement to, but it had the safety stamp, and the glass was much thicker. I will see what I can do for reference measurements.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Its just some more information,,,,,that we will need eventually,,,,,like what is the real size of a 1st Gen windshield??? and those pick up gaskets,,,,the one I used did not look like it had too much quality to it,,,,,,like they might not be EXACTLY the same size as an original one,,,,,,,and those pick up have 4 extra bends in them to fit the pick up curved windshield,,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 am