VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Steering box fix - transformation!

Jaydub
    Jaydub

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2017-08-26

Steering box fix - transformation! Empty Steering box fix - transformation!

Post by Jaydub Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:29 am

Woo hooo!!!  My truck actually steers!  Having never so much as seen one of these before I bought it, let alone having driven one, I had no standard by which to judge the steering on mine other than it was crap.  There was serious play at the steering wheel which meant every bump and shimmy required about eight inches of steering, the first four of which did little or nothing and the second four graunched the road wheels about a bit.  Manoeuvring at parking speed was a hugely physical struggle that normally left me dripping with sweat and parked at some strange angle compared to everybody else... well... something had to be done.
    I bought a used, but useable, box from a guy in Illinois - two days later it was here in England, a week later after clearing customs, it was with me.  
    It felt okay, but the adjuster was wound in and it looked like a strip and clean wouldn't do any harm.
    On stripping it I found one of the nylon bearing cages had broken up, but the worm and roller were in fine condition.
    I stripped my existing box and luckily one of the cages was still intact.
    I renewed all the balls, found a couple of generic metric seals that I managed to fit and flushed the casing clean.
    Putting it all back together is about as simple a rebuild as you can find - there really is bugger all to these things.
    I spent an hour or so shimming the end float, no factory tools, so I went with feel - took a while.
    Refitted the cross shaft and cover with a home made gasket.
    There was some surface wear on the bearing races, but this is a steering box on a truck that it is unlikely to cover many miles - it's not a motor with a shaft spinning at high r.p.m. so I didn't consider it a problem.

I've filled the box with steering fluid, but if it finds its way out I may go to a liquid grease.  For now tho', we have no leaks.

Whilst it was all out I flushed out and greased the column bearing which had been a bit rough, rebuilt the indicator (flasher) switch and made a spacer for under the steering wheel.

So what's it drive like?  Absolutely transformed it.  I no longer brace myself when I see oncoming trucks, or panic when I use the brakes or have to take a hand to change gear.  Yes, it still wanders, but that's a characteristic of the beam axle and cart springs, but I can correct it now with a gentle one handed pressure on the wheel.  
    So chuffed.

It's not perfect, but probably as good as you will get.  I doubt the wear on the races will affect it, I did try to find complete new bearings but failed dismally as none of the suppliers I contacted could get anywhere near them.  Over here or over there.  Simple satisfying job, but you will need a pitman arm puller, thankfully a Dart owning friend was good enough to lend me his.  Total cost including shipping and customs was about $300 - value wise, probably the best $300 I'll ever spend on it.

The bearings and oil seals I bought ($10?), and the condition of the worm and roller in my existing box compared to the replacements.  The originals had nearly worn to points in places and had sharp edges, not surprising as the box was full of California sand when I got it...
    Steering box fix - transformation! 00610
    Steering box fix - transformation! 00710
    Steering box fix - transformation! 00510
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Steering box fix - transformation! Empty Re: Steering box fix - transformation!

Post by jrdunn96 Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:45 pm

Nice bit of ingenuity. Do you think a little positive caster would help with the "wandering"?

Jim
    Jaydub
    Jaydub

Post by Jaydub Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:57 am

Cheers for the reply, Jim. Someone else on another page picked up on me saying it still wanders. Probably more accurate to say that it follows the road surface, my local roads are single track with a heavy camber. My previous beam axle cars had behaved in a similar manner - not excessive and goes away once on smooth tarmac. Still need to check caster, but it's close, and will have an experiment with tyre pressures as it's on 15" Keystones and European radials. Certainly a massive improvement over its previous behaviour.
    Off on a seventy mile jaunt to a meet later today, so should give me a chance to fully assess and have a little play...
    Jaydub
    Jaydub

Post by Jaydub Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:44 am

Had my first chance to put some proper miles on the truck last night after its recent steering box rebuild and doghouse repairs. We did around ninety miles, cruising mostly at about sixtyish on the dual carriageway. Even overtook someone. Feel so much more confident driving it now that its steering properly.
    The doghouse work was well worthwhile as well, even in 29C heat it was comfortable in there and we could still hear when we got to the meet. Still want to tweak things a bit more but was well chuffed, enjoyable drive...
    It's a 200c.i. three speed.
    Parked up with a stunning Studebaker...

Steering box fix - transformation! 00711

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am