VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
Nightmoves
G-Man
mcfly
donivan65
Digz
Scott
10 posters

Road Trippin..

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Road Trippin.. Empty Road Trippin..

Post by Scott Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:20 pm

I wanted to make sure this is going to happen before I said anything.

Early this Saturday my two brothers and I are heading for Bristol Tennessee to pick up an engine for my van. Although mine really doesn’t need to be replaced yet, I just cant pass it up. The plan is to leave early Saturday, drive to Durant Oklahoma where my brothers live, then cut out for TN. We hope to get into Bristol late Saturday, and sleep late Sunday. About noon I’ll be looking the engine over and loading it into the back of my rental SUV. Coming home we hope to stop half way and spend the night, then make it back home late Monday. I don’t know the route yet, my oldest brother is a truck driver and will probably do most of the driving, but I will find out before I leave. Hopefully I can run into a couple of you on the way back, would be nice to meet in person, and possibly check out your vans. My brothers don’t know anything about vanning, or how much fun they can be, this might be the time to inspire them.

I don’t know if my pics will be as entertaining as Donivan’s, but I’ll take a few along the way.

Here’s some snapshots of the engine I’m driving 2000 miles round trip to get..

Road Trippin.. 100_1910

Road Trippin.. 100_2010

Road Trippin.. 100_1911

Last edited by Scott on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Road Trippin.. Empty Re: Road Trippin..

Post by Digz Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:32 pm

Thats gotta be one of the prettiest 6 's I've ever seen! cool carb set-up.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:42 pm

I used to pass by there,,,,,you get on I-40,,,,,,pass Graceland,,,,,,through Bucksnort,,,then the Grand Old Opry, wave to Dolly at Dollywood and cruise up I-81,,,,,,,
    mcfly
    mcfly

Number of posts : 626
    Registration date : 2008-11-10

Post by mcfly Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:45 pm

Well thats all I needed,guess I can go to bed now I love you

mike
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:03 pm

Very Nice!!! That 6 should put out some power
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:35 pm

Heres the details..

It’s a hot rod 250 six that is ready to go, already primed up, valves adjusted, timing set, full of oil, it has an extensively ported and polished head with 1.82 & 1.60 valves, .500 lift spring, steel retainers, and it's the 194 high compression head, along with a port matched Offy 4 bbl intake with a 600 Edelbrock, alum. velocity stack, NEW 292 International Harvester combine exhaust manifold, basically a cast iron header with a 2 1/2" dump, all this bolted to a .060 250 six w/less than 20k miles on it, I also added a new oil pump, new steel/alum timing gears on a Erson towing/rv cam, a fully rebuilt HEI with Moroso adjustable vacuum advance, Moroso mechanical weight set, Accel module, even a new drive gear ($45) with a cap, rotor, and wires that I had put on the old engine just before I pulled it out, less than 1k miles on that, the water pump & fuel pump, it has the Mercruiser aluminum valve cover & side covers. I rebuilt the starter too, alternator and motor mounts are there (not the rubber frame mounts tho'), I also have a complete power steering bracket and pulley set with the 4 groove pulleys. I am sending along a couple pics of the engine, it would make a van really go, I figure around 250-260 hp. and about 290ft/lbs of torque.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:26 am

Scott , Thats a heck of a good lookin motor your gettin,with a bit of beef on the inside.I've been lookin for a Merc valve cover,they look too cool on it.
    And if you done gimme a yell as you pass through,I'll pull an Earnest T. Bass and throw rocks at ya.(just kiddin,we actually had 2 kids doing that last week)Seriously,I am just a few mins. from I-40 on the east side of Nashville.Pm sent.
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:01 am

that motor is worth a trip anyware...
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:31 am

good lookin six

Post by Guest Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:27 am

Sixes are a beautiful thing!!!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7899
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:37 am

Nice. That is one Sharp L6!!!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Road Trippin.. Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post by crazee Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:02 am

NICE ENGINE!
    Very nicely done!
    Although I'd rather have it one barrel. I hate supplying ARABS with more $$$ than I have to.

So what is inside this engine that warrants the 4 barrel and such............details.........details.......Smile
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:49 am

crazee wrote:NICE ENGINE!
    Very nicely done!
    Although I'd rather have it one barrel. I hate supplying ARABS with more $$$ than I have to.

So what is inside this engine that warrants the 4 barrel and such............details.........details.......Smile

You could always go with the straight 4, and a one barrel.

Other then what’s listed above, an overwhelming urge to guzzle gas.

I’m slightly concerned about that, and what it’s going to take to keep it cool, but its just way to sweet to pass on.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:33 am

Like the exhaust manifold. Have a nice 250 stroker getting ready for my van. The offy intake is what I prefer as well...better low end grunt than the Clifford.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:26 pm

Back whenI had a head full of hair...(70's) ,I had an AMC 232 with an Offy intake and a 390 Holley on it.For what it was,it ran pretty good.But I always felt like that was about as much carburation as it needed on it.Know it sounds funny,just made due for what I had at the time.
    crazee

Post by crazee Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:20 pm

Scott wrote:
    crazee wrote:NICE ENGINE!
    Very nicely done!

You could always go with the straight 4, and a one barrel.

Other then what’s listed above, an overwhelming urge to guzzle gas.

I’m slightly concerned about that, and what it’s going to take to keep it cool, but its just way to sweet to pass on.

I meant what kind cam, bore, stroke, valves............etc.etc.........

I didn't catch your SPEC LIST before I posted............I see it now.

and................

STRAIGHT 4?????? In an old Chevy van?????? scratch scratch scratch Never made such a critter.

I do however love straight fours.........I have them in my Spitfire and MGB GT.

If you really want inline six power..... CHEVY STYLE............go with a good ole 292 Inline 6........those can be built nicely. I have one in my 1975 C30 pickup..........pulls like a freight train stock. And I had the older style 292 with headers and big 2 stage Holley 2 barrel in my old deuce ..........it ran like a scalded rabbit and was extremely dependable and very cool running.

BUT AGAIN..........the engine you bought is a beauty and has some very nice lifter covers, valve cover and exhaust manifold. I see why you like it. Very Happy

Have you considered the split 6 banger headers? I think this would be the right move on your engine. Let it breath and help it run cool.........especially if you treat the headers with DEI sealer first ( do a google)......then header wrap em and treat the wrap with the DEI header wrap sealer too. This will keep heat out of engine bay nicely.............keep your exhaust hotter in the pipe. This makes the exhaust flow faster to exit........which make your engine breathe better...........which makes it rev better.............which generally makes it be the best it can be and run cooler at the same time.

EASY as 1 2 3 study
    Smile

PS.........sounds great too!

Post by Guest Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:49 pm

NICE 6-banger, some day the Handi will have a real good lookin motor.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:56 pm

Here's a clip from an old post showing the inline 4 that was dropped from production in 65.

Scott wrote:
    donivan65 wrote:Some stuff,,,,,,,the 1st Gen VIN,,,,G1255P106112,,,,,,G12 is 1/2 ton,,,4th digit 5 is panel,,,6 is SportVan,,, 5th digit is year. no SportVans in 1964,,,,1965 had early and late models,,,,early 65' used 1964 body and brakes,,,,,has the 5 slot grille and 2 latches on the Doghouse cover. 66 has the Chevy Van on the door and 6 slot grille and back up lights,,,,64 and 65 had 153, 194 and 230 engines,,,,66 could have the 250.

So the 1st Gen VIN number only uses the first five spaces, I guess the remaining numbers are the vehicle’s individual serial number?

You also listed that the 66 could have a 250, was the 153 and/or the 194 dropped in 66?

I'm guessing that the G stands for van since it does on the 2nd Gen VIN numbers, and since the 12 means 1/2 ton, all 1st Gen VIN numbers start with G12..

Some of this is asking, some of this is confirming..

The 153 was pretty small, cant image trying to get on the freeway with that between the seats..

This picture is from an old Nova..
    Road Trippin.. Pictur10

Any of you ever find one of these in a van?

As far as this engine goes I really dont know all the specifics yet, but know the builder and have faith in his abilities. Once I get it home I'm sure it will sit for three or four months before I can install it. When I do I will probably keep the stock exhaust, it does have a 2.5" dump on it. I know headers would flow better, but I drive a lot slower these days so I'm sure this will be plenty for me. Don't get me wrong, I like your thinking on this, just not sure how far I'm going to go yet.

Last edited by Scott on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:58 pm

crazee, they did make a 4 banger for our vans. (rare) underpowered for the job so they stopped making them.
    crazee

Post by crazee Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:05 pm

WOW! just goes to show yer never too old to learn a new one. I had no idea they ever put them little 4 bangers in vans.

I'd sure love to get hold of one though. Great in a little Nova, Chevelle or maybe modded into an S10.......lots of potential to make a gas miser.

As far as driving slower and such...........ME TOO! LOL

One reason I just stay mainly stock & love my inline engines.

Also.........easy to fix and cheap to run.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:08 am

Whats up with the white on white posting Scott????/ showing off with an Apple Computer???? Here is some 1st Gen engine stuff,,,,including the 4 cylinder engine that VANISH STILL OWES ME!!!!

Road Trippin.. Apple10

Road Trippin.. Engine11

Road Trippin.. Yuma_411
    crazee

Post by crazee Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:03 am

The white on white posting is kinda hard on an old guys eyes ya know........Razz
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:40 am

Fixed..

So whats the story with that 153 your suppose to be getting?

If it were just a matter of picking it up you would have done that by now.. Right?

What do you plan on doing with it, building a rare original setup?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:46 pm

The guy pays like $1100 to have the engine rebuilt,,,,,,,the guy has no reserve on it,,,,,Vanish wins it for $600,,,,,,,,,guy won't let go of it,,,,,I would of put that engine in the Blue No Door just to see how it acts,,,,,,,,,(Vanish could be hiding that engine from me),,,,,
    crazee

Post by crazee Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:29 pm

donivan65 wrote:The guy pays like $1100 to have the engine rebuilt,,,,,,,the guy has no reserve on it,,,,,Vanish wins it for $600,,,,,,,,,guy won't let go of it,,,,,I would of put that engine in the Blue No Door just to see how it acts,,,,,,,,,(Vanish could be hiding that engine from me),,,,,

Actually.......since this 153 ci discussion came up .......I decided I must have one and am now actively hunting one down. I have a 69 2 door Nova body stashed away that needs an engine and tranny. I figure 153 ci hooked to a nice 4 speed rock crusher = great everyday work car for the wife......... What a Face

OK............excuse the drift ---> off subject.......back to our regularly scheduled programing.

AND thanks for the font fix. Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:33 am