VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

14" wheels

Tanz
    Tanz

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2018-03-03

14" wheels  Empty 14" wheels

Post by Tanz Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:42 am

Hi, just joined the forum. Hoping to be bringing a van back to the UK soon and want to throw in some parts from the US. One thing I do need are 14" wheels and white wall tyres. Can anyone advise the size and off set as I am doing a low rider. Have seen all the various discussions on here so will go through those too. Hope to have some pics up soon and thanks in advance! Tanz
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

14" wheels  Empty Re: 14" wheels

Post by Seth G Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:13 pm

I'd go with 15's if you can, for rim & tire options and disc brakes. I have a set of 14"x5.5" ford steelies if you need them tho. 225/60/R15 w/ 3.75" of backspace is a good start for 15's, maybe 205/70/R14's for a stock 14 x 5.5" rim. With a low rider you'll need to keep them 'inside' so you don't want to go too wide.
    Tanz
    Tanz

Post by Tanz Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:45 pm

Thanks Seth, much appreciated. So 225/60/R15 w/ 3.75" back space would be the right size and fitment for keeping the wheels inside? Will be adding discs for sure other than lowering i will keep it all original. Is there anything specific to do when dropping these vans? Haven't decided if its going to be on air bags or a fixed stance as yet. Got a good guy here who does VW's (and others) and knows his stuff so will be paying a visit.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:39 am

There are alot of threads on dropping vans. It can be as complicated as you want. It's not easy to do it and have it still drive well. As far as tires and rims go I would suggest waiting until it's dropped to figure that out, so you can measure. It depends on what you do with the suspension and wheel wells, c notching the back frame, rolling the inner fender lips, body drop, ect. Are you going to put a mustang 2 clip on it? If you do a search you'll see what others have done. It can be a whole lot of work. But it has been done well by several people.
    Tanz
    Tanz

Post by Tanz Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:12 am

Thanks again Seth. I will go through the threads on here to see what others have done. Im also lucky to have a local guy who is a bit of a star in the VW community with the lowering stick. Have seen some truly awesome E vans lowered so will be taking inspiration from those.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:33 am