VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Melting wires behind speedo cluster

Mikenomy
    Mikenomy

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2017-02-18

Melting wires behind speedo cluster Empty Melting wires behind speedo cluster

Post by Mikenomy Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:47 pm

Today while I was driving, I smelled and then noticed smoke coming from behind the gauge cluster. I quickly pulled over n shut the van down cause I thought I was gonna catch on fire lol. I thought it may just be a bulb or fuse burnt out at first so I drove another mile to the auto zone. After removing the gauge cluster cover and pulling the gauge cluster away in the parking lot, hoping to just find a bad fuse or bulb, I saw something way worse. Both the black and red wires connected to the volt gauge were melted and fried.
    I don’t know why this would’ve happened all of a sudden. I’ve been driving the van almost daily for a couple weeks now n never noticed anything before.
    Does anybody know what could be causing this?
    Also do these wires go directly to the alternator? Where can I find new o es after fixing the issue?
    And lastly, how bad is it driving the van while this is happening? I need to get it to my friends shop ASAP but I’m thinking I shouldn’t run it like this.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    gary h
    gary h

Number of posts : 474
    Registration date : 2012-10-19

Melting wires behind speedo cluster Empty Re: Melting wires behind speedo cluster

Post by gary h Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:05 pm

Sounds like the Amp gauge was overloaded.
    sweetvan
    sweetvan

Number of posts : 242
    Registration date : 2013-12-16

Melting wires behind speedo cluster Empty Re: Melting wires behind speedo cluster

Post by sweetvan Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:00 am

Mike,
    You said "volt" gauge. Did you mean amp gauge or has it been replaced with a volt gauge?

Number of posts : 434
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:17 am

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:14 pm