VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Marq
Seth G
jdlaugh
uante
8 posters

OEM Wheel Size

uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

OEM Wheel Size Empty OEM Wheel Size

Post by uante Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:26 am

At one time I was thinking of buying some rims for my van, but decided I like the original look best. However I don't like the original "wimpy" look of my rims...I'd like something a little "beefier". Now it's time I get new tires, the ones I have are about 10 years old.

What is the width of original rims, 6 or 7 inches? And what is the maximum tire width that can go on them. I have 205 on there now and it doesn't seem to be able to go much wider.

Here's a link to something that might work...These are original styling but 15 x 8. I think someone wrote on here once that you can put 235 width on those and that would probably be the widest you'd should go on these vans (in the front anyway, and without modifications) due to the suspension and steering stresses. I can't find where I read that though.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-62-5805044?seid=srese2&cm_mmc=pla-msn-_-shopping-_-srese2-_-wheel-vintiques

jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

OEM Wheel Size Empty Re: OEM Wheel Size

Post by jdlaugh Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:15 pm

Here's a page with original wheel sizes. Econoline ID tire data. I'm still running skinny stockers.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:41 pm

I think the original rims, at least the 14's that were on my van when I got it were 14x5 1/2" and had 195/75's on it. Some originals are 13"x??

You can get a 235 on a 7" rim as well. Those are the rims I have, but I got them in 15"x7", I'm running 225/60's right now b/c I didn't want to shell out for the BF T/A 235/60's which I would have preffered. The standard 7" ones have too much backspace, they need like 1/4"-3/8" less. I ended up using some wheel spacers on mine, like 5/16" iirc. They come with 4.25" backspace but would be better with something in the 3 7/8-4" range. If you need a custom offset you can get them directly from Wheel Vintiques with whatever offset you want, at an addition fee I'm sure. It looks like the 8" also come with 4 1/4" backspace, that may be good with an 8". Looks like they make them in chrome now to.

I found this calculator to be very helpful:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

btw, the ones you linked to have the wrong bolt circle. Another thing is parking lot backing in and out, low speed type turning will probably be more difficult than it is now. But it's not that bad. And the look is way better.
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Seth, why do you think 4.25" is too much back spacing? Do they hit somewhere?

I think I'd like 15" x 7" with 235/60 tires. With a 4.25" back spacing, do you think those would work? I don't really want them to stick out beyond the wheel well so maybe the more back spacing it better if they don't hit.

uante
    uante

Post by uante Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:55 pm

jdlaugh wrote:Here's a page with original wheel sizes. Econoline ID tire data. I'm still running skinny stockers.

I think my rims are original skinny stockers as well. Must be one of these.

OEM Wheel Size Screen14
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:21 pm

They are pulled in to far, I think they should have zero offset which would be 4" backspace on a 7" rim. One of the members with a pickup from Lynnwood WA is running 235/60's and I recall him saying the only problem he has is that the drivers front tire will rub the drag link in a full right turn. I don't know if this can be adjusted out with the stops or not. But having that extra 1/4" in would exacerbate that problem. I'll look at the van tomorrow and see what kind of clearance I've got left to the fender and everything else for 235's. With the spacers installed, it is pretty similar to zero offset.
    Marq
    Marq

Number of posts : 89
    Registration date : 2017-04-09

Post by Marq Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:35 am

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t54255-max-tire-wheel-sizes

Here is some information on the tire/wheel size that I went through.

With the zero offset wheels I could have gone with a wider tire, probably a 245.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:12 pm

I looked up my old thread and found the spacers I used were 5mm, slightly more than 3/16". So the wheels are *almost* @ zero offset. I checked full right turn and only have a 1/16" or so clearance to the drag link and can see where it has rubbed it. I have my turning stops all the way out as well. There is plenty of clearance in the rears. Here are some pics,

OEM Wheel Size ZI9Af1

OEM Wheel Size GiJZMS

OEM Wheel Size DU9MZp

OEM Wheel Size 6t5zqW

OEM Wheel Size KsuXkG

I think with zero offset you can run 235/60's all around but you will rub the drag link on a hard right and it's going to be tight. My front suspension sags quite a bit, but I still have clearance to the wheel wells as far as I can tell compare to the distance of the springs to the bump stop. That will be a little tighter with 235/60's b/c they are 1/2" taller and at least 3/8" wider. If you went with a -5 offset(like the 15x7 US Mags Slot Rims)you may just clear the drag link, but you may be getting pretty close on the outside up front w/ 235/60's. I'm going to try it if and when I ever do the body and paint work on this thing.

You can actually put a 235/60 on a 6" rim if you want max tire bulge look. Also I noticed today that Cooper Cobra GT's are over $50 cheaper/tire than BF T/A's and have a higher speed rating.
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:59 pm

Thanks for the info and pictures Seth...that really helps. Definitely close to the link! Where the spacers you used a ring?
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:47 am

So I was checking out the wheels on the front of my Torino and they are about what I want for my van. They are 235/60R15. I put these on my van before, but didn't turn the wheels hard right to see if they rubbed anything. I'm going to try that this weekend and if all is good order 15X7 steel OEM style rims that will take original hub caps.

OEM Wheel Size 2018-013
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:05 am

While you're at it Brent check the backspace of the slot rims you have so you have a reference to compare to the steelies you may want to buy. When it comes to spacers for steel rims, they really should be steel and large enough around for all the contact points to sit on the spacer. The way steel rims contact the hub is why you're better off getting one with the correct backspace in the fist place. The van looks awesome with those wheels on it btw Smile
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:51 am

To measure the backspace of the slot rims, I assume with a ruler and a bar across the rim edge?
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:52 am

Yep, from the outside rim edge to the part that contacts the hub/drum etc. You'll have to find or cut something for a straight edge that is the right width b/c of the tire.
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:05 am

I did this and it's only 3.25" backspacing. I'll try them on the van in a few minutes. OEM Wheel Size 2018-014
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:52 pm

So here are the experiment results.

Found out my 205/75/R14 wheels have a 3 5/8" backspacing. While the 235/60/R15 have a 3 1/4" backspacing.

The 205's clearance in a full right turn is only about 3/8"

OEM Wheel Size 20511

while the 235's clearance in a full right turn is about a full inch.
    although they come real close to the front lower corner of the wheel well.

OEM Wheel Size 23510

I'm figuring that with 235" tires I need a 3 1/2" backspaced rim. Should be a
    happy medium. Now where to get that?

Tire widths side by side

OEM Wheel Size Tires10
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Seth where did you get your steel spacers? I can't seem to find any 1/2" steel anywhere.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:09 pm

Ebay, and mine are aluminum and dent from the contact points, I'm looking for steel ones. They could be made easy enough but that would cover the cost of custom rims from WV if your buying new rims. And if you space out too far you're going to run out of stud....

Are the slot rims 7" or 6"??? Rim width is the other factor. That's why offset is a better unit for comparison than backspace, i.e. the center is the center regardless of rim width if the tire is the same. May change slightly but it's still a more direct correlation b/c the lip width isn't factored in. How was the outside clearance front and back with the 235's and 3 1/4" backspace? Further out is better for looks imo.
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:53 am

I contacted WV and asked about custom offset. I'd rather pay a little more and not mess with spacers if they can make them. Once I hear back from them...I'll decide what to do.
    Wolfster
    Wolfster

Number of posts : 140
    Registration date : 2016-08-27

Post by Wolfster Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:57 am

Seth G wrote:I looked up my old thread and found the spacers I used were 5mm, slightly more than 3/16". So the wheels are *almost* @ zero offset. I checked full right turn and only have a 1/16" or so clearance to the drag link and can see where it has rubbed it. I have my turning stops all the way out as well. There is plenty of clearance in the rears. Here are some pics,

OEM Wheel Size ZI9Af1

OEM Wheel Size GiJZMS

OEM Wheel Size DU9MZp

OEM Wheel Size 6t5zqW

OEM Wheel Size KsuXkG

I think with zero offset you can run 235/60's all around but you will rub the drag link on a hard right and it's going to be tight. My front suspension sags quite a bit, but I still have clearance to the wheel wells as far as I can tell compare to the distance of the springs to the bump stop. That will be a little tighter with 235/60's b/c they are 1/2" taller and at least 3/8" wider. If you went with a -5 offset(like the 15x7 US Mags Slot Rims)you may just clear the drag link, but you may be getting pretty close on the outside up front w/ 235/60's. I'm going to try it if and when I ever do the body and paint work on this thing.

You can actually put a 235/60 on a 6" rim if you want max tire bulge look. Also I noticed today that Cooper Cobra GT's are over $50 cheaper/tire than BF T/A's and have a higher speed rating.

I went with the Cobra GT's on mine. Can't justify the price difference in the BF T/A's. Last time I bought the T/A's, the letters took on a brown tone. Nothing would make them white again. Contacted BF: "We've never heard of this....". They lied. People have been claiming this for quite some time. With no resolution from BF.
    On my '14 Jeep GC Overland, I have the Goodyear Fortera's. Not a bad tire, not a great tire. Soon as they wear down and need replacing, I'll go with the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's. Pricey for the 20", but a nice tire.
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:39 pm

I ordered a wheel with custom backspacing from Wheel Vintiques. It's original style and 7"x15" with 3.5" backspace. They said with that backspace they would have to flip the while front to back before welding the center in. That will give it a bit of a deep dish look. I only ordered one in case it doesn't work and I need to adjust the backspacing a little one way or the other. Then I can use this one somewhere else or as a spare. Probably take about a month to get it.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:34 pm

I can't wait to see how this works out. 3 1/2" seems like a lot to move off center. 4" is about hub face center on a 7" steel rim b/c the lip width is added in. 4" backspace is about 0" offset, so you're going to be around -12 or 13mm offset.

If they fit inside the fenders with 235/60's it's going to look awesome.
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:11 pm

I got my 15" x 7" wheel with the 3.5" back space from Wheel Vintiques today. Planning on going down tomorrow after work and having a tire put on it so I can try it out this weekend to see how it fits!

OEM Wheel Size Wheel10
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Brent,
    I like the "deep dish look" that you ended up with. Keep us updated.
    Jim
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:36 pm

I can't wait to see how this turns out Brent!!!
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:01 pm

Got a New Tire on the New Rim. 235/60/15 on the 15 x 7 rim. The tire is about 9 1/4" wide compared to 7 7/8" of the old ones. With the 3.5" back spacing they fit pretty well. I might go with another 3.5" to match the one I got make the other two with 3.75" backspacing as they are still a little close to the front lower wheel well corner and there's still some room to the drag link in a hard right hand turn. Think there would be any issues with 3.75" front backspace and 3.50 rear backspace?

Here's some pictures.

Gap in Hard Right Turn
    OEM Wheel Size Closen10

New wheel on front-hub cap works and might paint the rim to match the van and get new 15" chrome rings
    OEM Wheel Size Frontn10

Old wheel on front
    OEM Wheel Size Fronto10

New wheel on front old on back
    OEM Wheel Size Front_10

New wheel on back old on front
    OEM Wheel Size Back_t10

Rear shot of new wheel on rear left and old on rear right
    OEM Wheel Size Back11

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content