VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Flashers, turn signals and such...

Zonk 1/75
    Zonk 1/75

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2016-06-24

Flashers, turn signals and such... Empty Flashers, turn signals and such...

Post by Zonk 1/75 Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:35 pm

First I must admit, I totally suck at working on vehicles having little experience and less patience. I am a large man with a bad back and lessening eyesight and can't dig around in or under my truck, or behind the dash without some difficulty.

Having said this..........

I believe that I have successfully wired my gen II signal switch though I still need to install a second flasher for the emergency warning.

Front tun signals illuminate in the "parking lights" position but go off when I turn the lights fully on. I am getting no signal action front or back.

To (maybe) complicate things I installed LED bulbs front and back, although the same problem does exist with the regular bulbs still in.

I thought that I might replace the existing flasher unit when I install the second one but the problem is that I CAN'T FIND THE FLASHER UNIT. I have followed the BLUE wire to the main harness but can't find it from there.....

Any input would be welcomed.........

Thanks  ~Z~
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Flashers, turn signals and such... Empty Re: Flashers, turn signals and such...

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:12 pm

,,,are you saying the turn signals quit blinking when you pull the headlight switch knob out to the 1st click parking light position,,,,,,,now on chevys the park lights dont come on with the headlights,,,,so are you talking about parking lights or only turn signals,,,,,can you see if both filaments in the bulb work as they should?
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Post by jdlaugh Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:37 pm

Have you checked to see if you're getting power from the light switch, thru the flasher, to the steering column? That is how power is routed for the turn signal switch. There's a fuse on the light switch that controls that, I believe. Possible bad connection or blown fuse.

Zonk 1/75 wrote:I thought that I might replace the existing flasher unit when I install the second one but the problem is that I CAN'T FIND THE FLASHER UNIT. I have followed the BLUE wire to the main harness but can't find it from there.....

On my '65 the flasher mounts in a clip on the back of the gauge panel above the speedo. You might be able to reach it from below, but it's easy enough to unscrew the gauge panel and pull it out.

I don't have a pic of the flasher in place, but you can see the empty clip in this photo. The  flasher module is laying loose at top:

Flashers, turn signals and such... Gauge_10
    Zonk 1/75
    Zonk 1/75

Post by Zonk 1/75 Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:47 am

donivan65 wrote:,,,are you saying the turn signals quit blinking when you pull the headlight switch knob out  to the 1st click parking light position,,,,,,,now on chevys the park lights dont come on with the headlights,,,,so are you talking about parking lights or only turn signals,,,,,can you see if both filaments in the bulb work as they should?

The turn signals are not blinking under any circumstance.

I will check to see if both filaments are working.....

Thanks
    Zonk 1/75
    Zonk 1/75

Post by Zonk 1/75 Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:51 am

jdlaugh wrote:Have you checked to see if you're getting power from the light switch, thru the flasher, to the steering column? That is how power is routed for the turn signal switch. There's a fuse on the light switch that controls that, I believe. Possible bad connection or blown fuse.

On my '65 the flasher mounts in a clip on the back of the gauge panel above the speedo. You might be able to reach it from below, but it's easy enough to unscrew the gauge panel and pull it out.

I don't have a pic of the flasher in place, but you can see the empty clip in this photo. The  flasher module is laying loose at top:
    [/url]

Thanks for that info jdlaugh
    Zonk 1/75
    Zonk 1/75

Post by Zonk 1/75 Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:49 am

Found the flasher unit behind the gauge panel !!!

Once I obtain one I am going to add the second flasher unit (for the emergency flashers) and then go from there..................
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:36 pm

Make sure you find a CONSTANT 12 volt supply, from there a 20 amp fuse in line to the 2nd flasher and the other side of the flasher to the large striped white wire. The emergency flasher itself needs constand voltage to work without the key. Early 67 e flashers had only 7 wires and you had to leave the key in the ignition,,,,,,,,,,,(dumb)
    Old Skool
    Zonk 1/75
    Zonk 1/75

Post by Zonk 1/75 Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:18 pm

I finally have got it wired straight............

Emergency flashers all work, running lights work, right turn signals work.........

but...........  the left turn signal does not......

Left taillight illuminates solid (not flashing) when activating left turn signal but the left front does not light up at all.

Tried several new bulbs, same result. It does blink with Hazards on......

Suggestions?   New signal housing ????

thnx  ~Z~
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:28 pm

Some of the wire colors are hard to see correctly and can be confusing. Here is a color code conversion I have been putting out there for a long time now. Perhaps it will help?? Quite often now I also use the old wire loom off an early and splice it at the top using staggered splices to keep the diameter down. The large gauge white stripped wire is for the 2nd flasher which you wire hot all the time with a fused supply. Hot to one side, NEW flasher wire (white/red stripe) to opposite side of the new flasher.
    Vic

1967 EMERGENCY FLASHERS

CONVERSION WIRING FOR GENII TURN SIGNAL ASSMEBLY USING TRAILER LIGHT DUAL PRONG PIGTAILS

BLUE CONNECTION
    Connect green/white stripe wire to male end of plug
    Connect white/blue stripe wire to female end of plug
    Put large diameter BLUE shrink tube over plug end to mark

RED CONNECTION
    Connect solid blue wire to male end of plug
    Connect red/black stripe to female end of plug
    Put large diameter RED shrink tube over plug end to mark

BLACK CONNECTION
    Connect yellow/brown stripe wire to male end of plug
    Connect solid green wire to female end of plug
    Leave BLACK color on end plug

Dark blue/yellow stripe is single male plug end for horn
    White/red stripe wire goes to one side of the 2nd flasher, fuse and connect power source to flashers 2nd electrical prong.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:19 am