VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Adding reverse lights

Chevboner
    Chevboner

Number of posts : 209
    Registration date : 2012-09-15

Adding reverse lights  Empty Adding reverse lights

Post by Chevboner Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:04 am

Been considering adding semi stock reverse lights to my 65.

Any in-put or suggestions would be great.

Semi stock as in c10 style like these
    Adding reverse lights  1960_110
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Adding reverse lights  Empty Re: Adding reverse lights

Post by sandyvan Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:10 pm

Huh, so only the Deluxe had factory back up lights?  There is a curve to the panel, and the rubber base to the light that came on the Deluxe is curved to match...

You could hang some smaller brighter lights off the panel below the bumper...

Adding reverse lights  Back_u10
    Chevboner
    Chevboner

Post by Chevboner Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:57 pm

SandyVan I believe 1966 was the first year on all trims that reverse lights were added, like yours. I'd like to have the stock appearance of the light rather than aftermarket ones in a different location.
    Adding reverse lights  Hqdefa10

Scotty Jones has the what I call "c10" reverse lights. They are more slim then what came factory on the van, I'm not to keen on them sticking out like gum drop nipples lol.
    Adding reverse lights  Img_3211
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2625
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:50 am

Yes 66 was the 1st year for back up,on all vans, You could SO them before that.Adding reverse lights  Img_0211
    I put little one under my bumper ,on my 64
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:36 am

who doesn't like gum drops?? ;-)

I think you can get some stock tail lights that have a clear bulb back up light integrated into them? I know I've seen ones with blue dots in the middle.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:55 am

I used a pair of modern trailer backup lights for my '64, easy to find eBay or any trailer shop.  They have an old school look and are about the same size as the original '66 ones.  The base isn't beveled so you need to use a hard foam gasket to seal the gap on the outside, I just used the gaskets that came with them  for a template and cut up an old mouse pad if I recall.  As for the switch, its easy to add to the tranny if you have a 3-speed, NOS switches can be found, they bolt right onto the side cover on the 6-bolt trans.  If your '65 has the earlier 4-bolt like mine, I had to make a simple L bracket to get the switch in the right position.  Check your 1st-Rev shift lever for a small 1/8" diameter hole on the arm, that's where the actuating wire rod attaches to throw the switch.  Easy to wire, send power to the switch and then back to lights and ground them to the body.  Some pics:
    Adding reverse lights  Gedc1510
    Adding reverse lights  Gedc1511
    Adding reverse lights  S-l16012
    The Switch:
    Adding reverse lights  Gedc1610
    The rod goes into the hole on the lever, if its not there, add it with a drill. I used small grommets to keep it smooth...I made the rod from a piece of drop ceiling hanger wire, perfect size and strong, a coat hanger won't work!
    Link to the lights I used:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Petersen-PM392Clear-Marker-Utility-Backup-Light-Car-Truck-Trailer-Ratrod/142528455256?hash=item212f5ba258:g:sbEAAOSw8FRZrcyS&vxp=mtr

I found you really need backup lights in a modern world, everyone looks for them when you are backing these days and without them they are surprised like you didn't warn them you were backing....I also replaced one of the bulbs with a combination beeper and bulb for even added safety since my van has no rear windows at all.....good luck with adding them, not too hard.

brewaza likes this post

Chevboner
    Chevboner

Post by Chevboner Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:17 pm

Vantasia those look almost identical to stock ones, nice job. You're absolutely right about having them now a days, people just don't pay attention or care any more. Anyone know where I can get a reverse light transmission switch for a power glide?
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:16 am

chevbone64 wrote:Vantasia those look almost identical to stock ones, nice job. You're absolutely right about having them now a days, people just don't pay attention or care any more. Anyone know where I can get a reverse light transmission switch for a power glide?
    Thanks, yeah, those trailer lights look and work great and do look just like the original '66 style....Search eBay?  I've seen NOS manual switches there all the the time, auto switches should be there? Wasn't the auto on the steering column or combined with the neutral safety switch?  maybe can adapt one from a GM auto from similar years.  You should be able to rig up a similar switch to the linkage somewhere underneath using a bracket.   Here's one from a '63 Impala on eBay, pricey but would be similar to a set up for a 1st gen van with auto??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Impala-Super-Sport-Powerglide-Backup-Neutral-Safety-Switch/322859220997?hash=item4b2be8c005:g:xZYAAOSwPzhZ6kVX&vxp=mtr

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 am