BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Door Removal

Marq

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2017-04-09

Door Removal

Post by Marq on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:02 am

One of my projects this winter is the rebuilding of my doors, new window and door seals as well as anything else that needs repairing.

Garage is not heated so thinking to pull doors to the basement.

As a note one door has had the pins replaced by what appear to be bolts. This door drops a little when opened so that needs to be addressed.

Best to take the doors off at the hinges or remove with hinges or is this going to create more issues and better to just hold off till warmer weather?
jdlaugh

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2013-03-18

Re: Door Removal

Post by jdlaugh on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:25 am

The hinges are riveted to the doors. You unbolt the hinges from the body and they stay with the doors. I've heard of people drilling out the rivets in the door and replacing them with nut/bolt combos, but haven't tried it.

It's easy to take the doors off with a helper. I did that when working in the interior because it made it easier to move around the truck and not worry about the doors being in the way.
Marq

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2017-04-09

Post by Marq on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:55 am

Great, that's what I was hoping to hear, taking off all that old seal material off the door does not look like fun but should be easier to get at on a flat surface.

Any input on the hinge situation?
jdlaugh

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2013-03-18

Post by jdlaugh on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:43 pm

Wiggle the hinges up and down to see if the pins are loose. Replacement pins, regular and oversized, are available from Macs Auto Parts. If the pins seem solid, the sag may be in the door itself. The door skin metal is not particularly sturdy, and after 50 years of people climbing in and out using the door for support, they start to sag.

It seems a little cave man, but one effective remedy is to grab the door by the back edge and force it up and forward. It takes a fair amount of force; a big lever or a strong friend is helpful, but you can bend it back into position where it closes properly. I did it to the driver door on my '65 pickup.

Of course, only do this if the pins are tight. I did pins first and still had to resort to bending.... Sad
Wolfster

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2016-08-27

Post by Wolfster on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:26 pm

Heck I've removed and installed doors myself. Really nothing to it. If the "caulking seal" is still around the hinges where they go into the body, it helps to remove that first.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:20 am