VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Heater core ans spark plug / timing

marco_chevy
    marco_chevy

Number of posts : 151
    Registration date : 2015-05-23

Heater core ans spark plug / timing  Empty Heater core ans spark plug / timing

Post by marco_chevy Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi. I have a 1969 sportvan 108 camper whit v8 307 .

When i start the van and run 1-2 minute , front glass Came all frosted ( whit + 20 degré outside ) . I chek near the heater core, and i can see some coolant near the hose, so i think i need To replace it! Someone have the part number ? Its always availible ?

For spark plug , i actually have ac Delco r45 , but in my repair book, number is : truck ac 45 ( 5611543 ) and in other place have r44 . I can have localy ac Delco r43s or r45ts . Whitch one is the best ?

For timing , repair manual said:
    2 btdc idle 600 rpm
    0 at 1000 rpm
    10 at 1600 rpm
    28 at 4300 rpm

May be that number need vac off and plugged ?

Thanks for your Help Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Heater core ans spark plug / timing  Empty Re: Heater core ans spark plug / timing

Post by donivan65 Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:02 pm

AC R44 is the stock plug,,,,,,,when the van was new,,,,,,,,,,,R45 would be a hotter plug for worn engines or short trips,,,,,,,,I doubt your engine will notice any difference in whatever you put in there,,,,,,,,Timing is 2 degrees before top dead center with vacuum advance hose DISCONNECTED,,,,,,,and idle is around 600 RPM,,,,those other timing numbers are for  the amounts  of  advance the centrifugal weights add,   (up to 28 degrees) and the vacuum advance adds,  (up to 13 degrees) that the distributor ADDS to your 2 degrees to give you more power........
    marco_chevy
    marco_chevy

Heater core ans spark plug / timing  Empty Re: Heater core ans spark plug / timing

Post by marco_chevy Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:14 pm

I Search on Google and Cant find that heater core Sad. May be mine can be repair, have some leak around the in and out !

Heater core ans spark plug / timing  Img_6911
    Heater core ans spark plug / timing  Img_6910
    marco_chevy
    marco_chevy

Post by marco_chevy Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Not able To find it new anywhere Sad No Choice To have it repaired ! No heater core availible for gvan 69 Sad(
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:31 am

2nd gen heater core is not available. Take yours to a good radiator shop and have it repaired or re-cored.
    marco_chevy
    marco_chevy

Post by marco_chevy Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

I will receive core tomorow,  same tank and new center in copper.

For spark plug, it was r45 , i change for new r45s and the end is différent, the r45s has a longer électrode.

I hope its ok !
    Heater core ans spark plug / timing  Img_7010
    marco_chevy
    marco_chevy

Post by marco_chevy Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:51 pm

On the damper , for timing , i can see A l l l 0 l l l R.   So, if i need 2 btdc, i need To be 2 near the R ? A for advance and R for retard ? Maybe the R is a B
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:52 pm

2 degrees before is 1 line before the 0,,,,,,,,,on the A side,,,,
    marco_chevy
    marco_chevy

Post by marco_chevy Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:29 am

If its before , its not on the B side ?

If is use à digital lamp, that i can adjust the number , i put lamp at 2 , and i need To see 0 on the damper ?

At 1600 rpm, centrifugal advance is 16, so i need To adjust my lamp at 16+2 : 18 To see the damper at 0 ? Or its 16-2: 14 ?

Thanks. Im not expert in timing Smile))
    marco_chevy
    marco_chevy

Post by marco_chevy Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:02 am

I Took a picture this morning. Motor stop anyware, just for see the white Line on damper ! So i did a Green Line 1 Line after 0 on the A side. If my lamp is at 0 , motor at idle 600 rpm, i need To see the whit Line where i did the Green Line whit vacuum disconnected and plugged ?

Heater core ans spark plug / timing  Img_7011
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:55 am

each line is 2 degrees,,,,in that picture, IF you have the dial on the timing light on 0, then the white line is 8 degrees AFTER top dead center, the green is 2 BEFORE top dead center,  the A means advance, R is retard,,,,,,you dont use the dial to set the timing, only to find the notch to bring it back to to 2 to check to see IF and how MUCH, the centrifugal and vacuum advances are working, and nobody really cares about that,,,,,,leave the dial at 0, turn the distributor so that the notch on the pulley goes to where you got that green line, (2 degrees), but 1st make sure the points are set right if you still have them,,,,,,they also change the timing,,,,,,,
    marco_chevy
    marco_chevy

Post by marco_chevy Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:09 am

Point are in the garbage. I have pertronic concersion . So when running idle whit vac disconnexted and my lamp at 0 , the white line need To be where is my Green Line on the picture, exact ?

Thanks
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:19 am

notch on pulley needs to be right above the 0 like where the green line is,,,,,it wouldnt hurt to move that notch up one more line up to 4 degrees for more power,,,,,,,
    marco_chevy
    marco_chevy

Post by marco_chevy Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:24 am

So , 2 line from the 0 , on the A side . Thanks
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:52 am

66 to 70 were the beginning of smog controls,,,,,,,they cut the power down to meet Smog standards,,,,,,,,thats what the specs are for,,,,,,they did not care about power and good mileage in those days,,,,,,so I would not be too concerned about being exactly on the mark with those specs in the book,,,,,,,,,
    marco_chevy
    marco_chevy

Post by marco_chevy Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:39 pm

For the spark plug, the r45s are longer, but ok To run in my stock 307 ?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:55 pm

the valves or piston might hit that extended tip,,,,,,,,,do you feel lucky?
    marco_chevy
    marco_chevy

Post by marco_chevy Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:59 pm

For real ? It will damage something ? I start motor 5 second this morning for took picture of the damper and no problem.

You really think that ?

I see several post of people put that plug for better idle and better other thing and no problem .

If hit, after 5 secondes , it will be already damaged ?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:09 pm

,,,if somebody has tried them or you see a chart that says those plugs work in your engine then they might be OK to use,,,,,,,but I am not going to say use them,,,,,,,,,,
    marco_chevy
    marco_chevy

Post by marco_chevy Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:14 am

Part shop in my area chek in data base for new plug on my g10 1969 307 and told me plug that go there are r43s . On repair manual its r44 or r42 ( cooler ) . I see one comment on corvette Forum that 1 piston hit plus and changed the gap, but head was milled ! So I will run motor 1 minute and after recheck all gap plugs ! Hope they will be ok .
    marco_chevy
    marco_chevy

Post by marco_chevy Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:47 am

marco_chevy
    marco_chevy

Post by marco_chevy Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:20 am

Heater core ans spark plug / timing  Img_7012
    marco_chevy
    marco_chevy

Post by marco_chevy Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:25 am

So my R45S is the same modèl proposed by ac Delco except a little bit hotter! ( better whit 87 octane gaz ) .
    marco_chevy
    marco_chevy

Post by marco_chevy Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:23 pm

Timing was at 5-5.5. Its why anser was not perfect when hit gaz pedal quickly . I set down about 3.5-4, juste under the 2nd line on the A side , and now run very nice , when hit pedal soft or hard , anser is very nice and fast . I chek at 1600 rpm and need to set my lamp at 14 ( 4 + 10 ) , so centrifugal advance is like the spec ! Whit vac connected , go under 30

New ( redone ) heater core installed

Heater core ans spark plug / timing  Img_7013
    marco_chevy
    marco_chevy

Post by marco_chevy Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:50 am

I finally done 250 miles this week end whit 32-33 degre outside and all was perfect , run very nice except temperature that is always at 190-195 when running at 50-70 mph . When idle to 20-30 mph, it gondown to 180-185 whit my electric fan .

If i change my new a spark plug R45S for R43S ( recommanded plug by ac Delco ) , the motor will run cooler ? I would like to go down 5-10 degre , spark plug can do the difference ?

May be my thermostat is a 180 because idle , my fan start at 180, it's mean that the thermostat is open and coolant circulate in the radiator ? At idle , it's always 180-185. If plug can go down temperature from 5-10 degre , il will change it !

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am