VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

6cyl head/intake modification ?

Falcon Guy
    Falcon Guy

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2017-08-22

6cyl head/intake  modification ? Empty 6cyl head/intake modification ?

Post by Falcon Guy Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:17 am

i'm still searching for my Falcon van under the 'wanted' section - but i have question if anyone here has attempted to install the 'Classic inline' head + intake in the van doghouse ? will it fit.
    thank richard
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

6cyl head/intake  modification ? Empty Re: 6cyl head/intake modification ?

Post by Seth G Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:43 pm

I don't know this empirically, but I'll say anyway, the intake won't fit. I don't think a stock aussie 2v intake would fit either, but maybe. Old Skool Vic probably knows for sure. I think you could take the classic inline 4v intake and modify it to a 2V or make a custom 2v from scratch with a fore to aft carb or throttle body orientation and it would fit. Putting a 4 barrel on one of these engines, no matter how modified, is stupidity imo. They just will never move more air than you can get through available 2v throttle bodies. There's no way you're going to need more than a 500 2v holley, and more than likely you'll never need more than a 350 2v holley or autolite 2100 can deliver. Just like cams, people want big cams until they try and daily drive one. You want a cam that optimizes engine performance and valve lift and function but keeps the power band down where you actually use it and with a good smooth idle. I have a spare D5 head I'm going to build for GM TBI.

I think the best approach with the CI head is to make or modify the intake to fit an appropriate throttle body that fits well in the doghouse and go mpi with it. There was a guy in Vancouver WA recently that was selling a 250/CI head/MPI build he couldn't finish for whatever reason. Looked like he was doing good work on it though. Check it out on fordsix.com in the for sale section.

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:34 pm