BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

WTB: Early 273 4 barrel intake

slowflapper

Number of posts : 919
Registration date : 2010-07-29

WTB: Early 273 4 barrel intake

Post by slowflapper on Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Looking for an OEM or aftermarket 4 barrel intake for a '65 273. if this post is up I'm still looking for it.
dix
Moderator 1st Class
Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 7968
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Re: WTB: Early 273 4 barrel intake

Post by dix on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:17 pm

dodge never made a 318 /4 barrell so my guess is you neew a aftermarket manifold

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr on Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:32 pm

dix wrote:dodge never made a 318 /4 barrell so my guess is you neew a aftermarket manifold
we had a police package here and it did include a 4bbl carb on 318/5.2 and 360/5.9 in diplomats and some other models. and to confuse some it was what is called a spreadbore flange and used a GM q-jet carb. got one in the garage now. way to heavy to ship anywhere...
busman78

Number of posts : 460
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Post by busman78 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:19 pm

He really needs a 65 only 273 4 barrel intake, the 66 later will not fit, different angle/bolt size, think it was referred to as a Commando 4 barrel intake. not really sure there ever was an after market one available. Try posting on some of the other Mopar sites, good luck.
sweetvan

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2013-12-16

Post by sweetvan on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:33 am

Slowflapper,

The casting # is 2465726 for the '65, 273, 4 barrel, cast iron intake manifold. They weigh 38 lbs..
Make sure you have '64-'65 heads with casting #2465315. Casting #'s are different for later heads.

All 2 & 4 barrel I.M.'s and heads for 273's and 318's accommodated 1.78" intake and 1.50" exhaust valves, thru 1986. 1966-'86 heads can be used on 273's but the I.M. bolt holes and angles are different than the '64-'65 heads and I.M.'s. '65 I.M. bolt holes can be modified to accommodate later head bolts, but fitting is time consuming.

If you want to use an after market I.M., it would be better to use later year heads because fitting is easier and you have more choices.

Sweetvan

Last edited by sweetvan on Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:17 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Changed 'ports' to 'valves'. Changed 'had' to 'accommodated'.)
slowflapper

Post by slowflapper on Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:10 pm

sweetvan wrote:Slowflapper,

The casting # is 2465726 for the '65, 273, 4 barrel, cast iron intake manifold. They weigh 38 lbs..
Make sure you have '64-'65 heads with casting #2465315. Casting #'s are different for later heads.

All 2 & 4 barrel I.M.'s and heads for 273's and 318's accommodated 1.78" intake and 1.50" exhaust valves, thru 1986. 1966-'86 heads can be used on 273's but the I.M. bolt holes and angles are different than the '64-'65 heads and I.M.'s. '65 I.M. bolt holes can be modified to accommodate later head bolts, but fitting is time consuming.

If you want to use an after market I.M., it would be better to use later year heads because fitting is easier and you have more choices.

Sweetvan

Streetvan thanks for that and it is all correct.

The Edelbrock D4B is the vintage aftermarket that works, other than that Offenhauser is the only current manufacturer at about $350 per unit.

My 273 runs great, no smoke, knocks or rattles and the oil pressure is good. I'm tempted to do a carb/cam/intake/headers upgrade and leave it at that (thus the search for a new intake).

The alternative is to put a good street build on a 70's 318 which would be much easier and cheaper than rebuilding the 273 if I wanted to do a full build on it.

sweetvan

Post by sweetvan on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:48 am

Slowflapper,
You've got the bug worse than I do. I'd like to suggest that using a good 500 cfm 2-barrel carb. might be the best way to go because a 273 won't need more than 500 cfm, even at 5000 rpm.

There are several things that you can do before changing to a 4-barrel. These things will benefit your engine and improve performance and cooling. Yes, go dual exhaust, either with manifolds or headers. Eliminate the front cross over exhaust pipe and the buttterfly valve in the one exhaust manifold. Go with an electric choke. If you have carb boil issues, plug the heat risers ports in the center on top of the heads and use an I.M. gasket that blocks that opening. I replaced the E.M. that had the butterfly with one from the other side; they are symmetrical. That is much less expensive than headers. Also wrap the E.M.'s and header pipes clear back to the back of the dog house. Don't forget to paint the wrap with very high temp paint too to keep the wrap in tact, it's pretty friable. Of course it's best to replace the engine cover insulation and provide good air flow around the engine. All these things just might give you what you want without changing to a 4-barrel.

Sweetvan
slowflapper

Post by slowflapper on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:27 am

sweetvan wrote:Slowflapper,
You've got the bug worse than I do. I'd like to suggest that using a good 500 cfm 2-barrel carb. might be the best way to go because a 273 won't need more than 500 cfm, even at 5000 rpm.

There are several things that you can do before changing to a 4-barrel. These things will benefit your engine and improve performance and cooling. Yes, go dual exhaust, either with manifolds or headers. Eliminate the front cross over exhaust pipe and the buttterfly valve in the one exhaust manifold. Go with an electric choke. If you have carb boil issues, plug the heat risers ports in the center on top of the heads and use an I.M. gasket that blocks that opening. I replaced the E.M. that had the butterfly with one from the other side; they are symmetrical. That is much less expensive than headers. Also wrap the E.M.'s and header pipes clear back to the back of the dog house. Don't forget to paint the wrap with very high temp paint too to keep the wrap in tact, it's pretty friable. Of course it's best to replace the engine cover insulation and provide good air flow around the engine. All these things just might give you what you want without changing to a 4-barrel.

Sweetvan

I appreciate all of that and its pretty much already done, I'm running the stock BBD 2barrel, side pipes, electric fuel pump, insulated lines, carb spacer etc.

I'm looking for a good loping cam sound and the ability to light the back tires up, the OEM setup cant give me that Very Happy
sweetvan

Post by sweetvan on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:50 pm

I don't know if the D4B I.M. is the same height as the LD4B, but I have test fit an LD4B on my 273 in my A100 to see if it would work. With an after-market 14"x2 1/2" air filter and no spacer under the Carter Carb, the bottom of the engine cover rested firmly on the top of the air cleaner top nut. So it is a very tight fit vertically and it would create a ware point there. Modifications would also have to be made to the throttle linkage and the automatic kick-down linkage, but I think they could be made to work. A new coil mounting bracket would have to be made and mounted elsewhere because there are no coil mounting holes on that I.M..

Did you check your head casting numbers to see for sure that they are 1965?

Hope you don't mind my comments; I just wanted to help you think through the changes that will be needed and to let you hear my experiences. I really didn't get much change from going to a 4 barrel, except worse gas mileage. In order to get 235hp, the Commando engines also had high compression pistons, dual points, and a different cam. Maybe you already have checked all this out.

I think that we early vanners all appreciate our vans as personalized, useful, and character filled travel vehicles. They will never be hot rods unless they are modified extensively. Your van is nice and already has lots of character.

Best, Sweetvan.
slowflapper

Post by slowflapper on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:00 pm

sweetvan wrote:I don't know if the D4B I.M. is the same height as the LD4B, but I have test fit an LD4B on my 273 in my A100 to see if it would work. With an after-market 14"x2 1/2" air filter and no spacer under the Carter Carb, the bottom of the engine cover rested firmly on the top of the air cleaner top nut. So it is a very tight fit vertically and it would create a ware point there. Modifications would also have to be made to the throttle linkage and the automatic kick-down linkage, but I think they could be made to work. A new coil mounting bracket would have to be made and mounted elsewhere because there are no coil mounting holes on that I.M..

Did you check your head casting numbers to see for sure that they are 1965?

Hope you don't mind my comments; I just wanted to help you think through the changes that will be needed and to let you hear my experiences. I really didn't get much change from going to a 4 barrel, except worse gas mileage. In order to get 235hp, the Commando engines also had high compression pistons, dual points, and a different cam. Maybe you already have checked all this out.

I think that we early vanners all appreciate our vans as personalized, useful, and character filled travel vehicles. They will never be hot rods unless they are modified extensively. Your van is nice and already has lots of character.

Best, Sweetvan.

I appreciate the discussion, at some point I'll end up either building a 273 or more likely a 318 and dropping it in just to improve everything over all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:06 pm