VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Do our A100's have master spline on steering wheel ?

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Do our A100's have master spline on steering wheel ? Empty Do our A100's have master spline on steering wheel ?

Post by rustytoolss Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:03 am

I just adjusted my steering gear (the right way with in/lbs torque wrench) 6-9in/lbs at the center column nut, pitman arm off. To achieve the 6-9 in/lbs took a lot more pressure at the adjustment screw than I would have thought. But the torque at the center column nut is now with in spec. Steering wheels mechanical advantage overcomes the screw pressure.
      Just to be safe. I will keep the tools needed to "road adjust" the screw if things feel to tight !
       Anyway. to my question. My steering wheel has not been centered since I bought the truck. Since I've got the horn button off. Can I pull the wheel off, and get the wheel closer to correct center? Or do our A100's have a master spline at the steering wheel/column center shaft?
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Do our A100's have master spline on steering wheel ? Empty Re: Do our A100's have master spline on steering wheel ?

Post by busman78 Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:49 am

Nope, you can move it around as needed limited only by the spacing of the splines.
    sweetvan
    sweetvan

Number of posts : 242
    Registration date : 2013-12-16

Do our A100's have master spline on steering wheel ? Empty Re: Do our A100's have master spline on steering wheel ?

Post by sweetvan Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:02 am

Rusty,
    Here's some tips. When pulling the steering wheel, keep the nut on flush with the top of the center threads to protect them. After you get the wheel off, you can also check the turn signal and horn mechanisms and connections.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am