BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

66 Restoration, Advice Wanted

Brother James

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-07-11

66 Restoration, Advice Wanted

Post by Brother James on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Hello fellow vanners. Im new to the site, but and old van guy at heart. I learned to drive on an old Econoline with 3 on the tree...and have been in a van ever since. 20 years ago I found a 66 Chevy exactly like the one my Dad had when I was a kid. Finally I'm getting to the restoration. The engine and trans are out for rebuild so I'm getting to the next stage of the project. Brakes and suspension. M1D has been very helpful with the disc brake conversion...still waiting on some details on the rear. Hoping for disc's all around, but we will see what happens.

Here is where I could really use some help. On the suspension, I am thinking of flipping the springs for a lower stance. Along with some helper air bags to get it perfect. Am I on the right track?? I have seen pics of some show vans that are slammed to the ground...are full air bags better? is there a better way to improve the ride height?? I need some advice from folks who have been thru and done this before. Obviously there are not kits available. I still want it to ride and drive well, yet trick it out.

Additionally, the fuel tank. Surely I need to replace or treat...does anyone sell a replacement or do I clean and treat the existing tank?

Thanks for all help and advice!
Brother James, North Carolina
Vantasia

Number of posts : 1349
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Re: 66 Restoration, Advice Wanted

Post by Vantasia on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:43 am

Welcome...do some thread searches here and at site called VCVC Vintage Chevy Van Club, there are several threads showing how people lowered by flipping axles on the springs and what else has to be done when doing this like steering, shock mounts etc...IMHO, unless you are going to a high powered engine, you don't need rear discs, fronts and rear drums should be fine for normal cruising and driving....no new tanks made, there is an effort underway at other site to get them made, but never took off. Most tanks, no matter how far gone can be saved. Find a good shop that can dip it, weld up leaks, get dents out, most radiator shops also do tanks. Very hard to adapt other tanks without a lot of work, its an oddball size and nothing seems close, even 2nd gen tanks require frame modification. I had mine re-worked by a shop and its fine. Many threads on this here...They can be patched if leaking. Best to get dipped and then left uncoated inside, coatings not really needed, more trouble than worth, they came uncoated from the factory, a slight orange patina inside is normal. Senders can be rebuilt too and a few sell new ones. Good used tanks come up for sale every few months here and on eBay usually in the $150-250 range. But look into cleaning yours, easy to drop and check. The filler neck hose is an uncommon size, like 2-3/8" but it can be found online in 3-foot lengths or by the foot/inch from a few special shops, google it, auto stores only sell 2" or 2.5", you should replace all the rubber at this point including brake hoses too....
Vantasia

Number of posts : 1349
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:45 am

Here's a lower my van thread
http://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t30428-question-on-the-commonly-asked-how-to-lower-my-van?highlight=lower+van

Its up to you but personally, I like the look and stance of our vans riding high with a slight rake from larger rear tires and smaller front tires, not into the slammed lowrider look. The high ground clearance is nice and the view is great...but there are many opines on this for as many owners as there are here!
Brother James

Post by Brother James on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Thanks Vantasia! I appreciate your time, advice and experience. I have so much to get done all the info offered saves me so much time and effort...Like not doing exhaustive searches trying to locate replacement fuel tanks. Mine is actually very decent...just a touch of rust inside.

On the disc brakes all the way around...I'm just thinking time and $. I feel like I could install new discs in the rear for the same money as rebuilding the original drums...and have a considerably better system.

Still undecided on the lowering. I don't dislike the way it looks as is, yet if I'm going to all the trouble and money for the rest of the van...why not drop it a little for a sportier stance. I will read those links you forwarded.

Thanks so Much! I welcome all info anyone wants to offer. I will try to post some pics as improvements happen

Brother James
NC
samsvan

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Brother James, I like the look of these vans lowered too. However, after getting mine down a couple of inches, I've learned and realized a few things you might want to consider. If you're going to keep the straight axle on the front, you can only lower it so far before you start limiting the amount of travel before you bottom out the axle on the frame. I had to modify my engine crossmember to clear the tie rod. Also, your tires will bottom out in the wheel wells. You can't modify the wheel wells without getting into the doors. Also, you're sitting right on top of the wheel wells so If you're tall, you will need to install a sunroof for head clearance. There's also the steering geometry. AZDon is in the process of making his drag link an adjustable one (I think). I need to do this with mine because as mine sits now, it turns way sharper to the left than it does to the right.
Flipping the axle on the rear end will drop it enough so that you will have to C notch the frame. Instead, I moved the leaf spring perches and shackle mounts up to retain the stock leaf spring pack. Again, it's only lowered a couple of inches.
For my gas tank, I went with a "Tanks, Inc. 53CGX". I got it with their electric fuel pump and a 30 ohm sender. It took a little bit of modification to mount it but not bad. It's an 18 gallon tank so it's 2 gallons bigger than stock.
I went with rear discs too. I had them installed so I don't know any specifics but I know they stop the van. They would look good too but I put old school steelies on for wheels so you can't see them.
To lower the van, I think most guys just remove a leaf or two at each corner. That would be your cheapest option and it would be easy to put it back to stock if you start having issues. To take it a step further, look at Ridetec's "Air over leaf" system for a supplemental air bag system to retain the original load capacity.
Any questions, just ask, Sam
Brother James

Post by Brother James on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Hey Sam, Man thanks so much for the info. You are right on with my thoughts...not looking to slam the van to the ground, just drop it a touch to set a nice sporty looking stance. Enough to close up some of the space in the wheel wells, yet not so much I worry about banging the frame or bottoming out the tires in the wheel wells. And especially throwing the steering geometry off.

So here is the question...take a couple leaves out? Or flip the springs to the bottom and install the Ridetech helper air bags?? Which ever route, I'm thinking the same all the way around...then hopefully all the geometry stays the same. I'm concerned if I remove springs, the suspension becomes too soft. I'm not installing a v-8, just rebuilding the original 6. With a few mods of course for more horse power and have some growl from the exhaust.

I'm hearing everyone say get the caliper bracket from M1D for front disc brakes...but no one seems to support discs on the rear, or where to go for advice. And I'm kinda wanting to make the entire decision and purchase at one time with the entire conversion in mind.

Certainly I'll hot dog it a little bit...but definitely not drag race where I've got to have rear discs. Just seems while I'm under the van, do it all at one time.

Did you install sway bars? They seem like a good idea so I'll need to do as well. Think I'm all good on the gas tank. Mine ended up being in pretty good shape minus some minor rust inside from not being used in many years.

You have been through all this...tell me what you think!

Brother James
samsvan

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:56 pm

Brother James,
I was thinking you could take some springs out and see if your good with how it looks then decide if you need the air bags or not for load capacity. They would basically take the place of the springs you removed without raising the van back up to stock. Look at AZDon's recent posts about what it takes to flip the axle on the front end. It's not that simple. The drag link will need to be dealt with even if you just drop the front a few inches if you want to center the steering. I'm just living with mine for now but it's on my list of things to do.
I think the disc brake conversion on the rear is a choice more than a necessity. The fronts were a must for me and M1D has done all the r&d and machining to make our lives easy. The rears use older K5 Blazer parts if I remember right and the conversion is pretty common.
With discs, you will have to switch to 15" rims. Also, when you lower your van you will have to get wheels and tires that will fit inside your wheel wells. I went with Wheel Vintiques 16 x 8" wheels all around. I got them with a 5" backspace so they tuck in nicely. Check out my thread in the members showcase to see how mine sits and look in the Between the Seats G section to see what I did to make the crossmember clear the tie rod.
uncle ron

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2012-05-31

Post by uncle ron on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:49 pm

Brother James, I removed 2 leafs and it dropped my front enough that I was bottomed out on the rubber bump stops , replaced bump stops with short ones (11/16 " ) haven't noticed any difference in handling . I'm running old 6 x 14 five spoke mags with M1dadio brackets , did have to grind a little off the calipers . Uncle Ron
sandyvan

Number of posts : 394
Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:24 pm

uncle ron wrote:Brother James, I removed 2 leafs and it dropped my front enough that I was bottomed out on the rubber bump stops , replaced bump stops with short ones (11/16 " ) haven't noticed any difference in handling . I'm running old 6 x 14 five spoke mags with M1dadio brackets , did have to grind a little off the calipers . Uncle Ron

Uncle Ron that is one sweet van!!!
uncle ron

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2012-05-31

Post by uncle ron on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:32 pm

sandyvan wrote:
uncle ron wrote:Brother James, I removed 2 leafs and it dropped my front enough that I was bottomed out on the rubber bump stops , replaced bump stops with short ones (11/16 " ) haven't noticed any difference in handling . I'm running old 6 x 14 five spoke mags with M1dadio brackets , did have to grind a little off the calipers . Uncle Ron

Uncle Ron that is one sweet van!!!
Sandyvan , Thanks . I've owned my van since 1970 .
Brother James

Post by Brother James Yesterday at 7:51 pm

Thank you Uncle Ron! that is the exact look im shooting for...and with out the the issues of geometry with steering and sway bar clearance. Perfect! You and so so many others have been super helpful.

I have a really good start for the first two weeks. Pulled the motor and trans for rebuild, yanked the gas tank for cleaning...all the emblems and bumpers. Even have the suspension torn down for new bushings and gaskets. M1 hooked me up with some brackets and many parts on order to get started putting it back together.

Thanks All!
Brother James
Scott

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Today at 6:43 am

Welcome to the site,

Any chance you can post some pictures of the new van?

Pictures of you old one would be cool too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:35 am