BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Axle flip for my 108

AzDon

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Axle flip for my 108

Post by AzDon on Sat May 13, 2017 8:48 pm

I finally got around to processing some pics of my axle flip....

Used the top two stock leaves and two additional thinner leaves from a rough country set I got at scrap metal store (I assume they are jeep stuff) Those two leaves had three locator straps that I drilled for bolts and used 3/8 fuel hose as insulators.... Six degree wedges bolted into spring pack and vinyl vibe pads off a roll from speedway motors....

On it's wheels after initial mockup......Currently no engine or trans in it....

Another shot of the assembled left spring pack...

Flip saddle in place with locating nub welded to bottom of axle

Tape, white spray paint and a bit of careful measuring determine where the centering nubs belong

nubs are simply leftover pieces of the shortened u-bolts

More pics later, but here is a pic of everything but the brake drum installed, including new bump stop and air shock......

I reimported your pics at the 640 Pixel setting so the pics wouldn't get cut off...Vanny!
samsvan

Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2014-09-04

Re: Axle flip for my 108

Post by samsvan on Sun May 14, 2017 6:35 am

It took me a minute but I figured it out. Your shims looked like they were in backwards but since your axle is on top of the springs....
Nice work Don.
AzDon

Post by AzDon on Sun May 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Thanks!..... Hopefully I won't need more degrees because the spring packs will have to come apart to change them, and that requires removal of the u-bolts...
I also notice I need to learn more about posting, as the right third of all my pics are missing....
samsvan

Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan on Sun May 14, 2017 3:57 pm

Well that's an easy one! Just change the setting to 640 px width when you're loading your pictures.
AzDon

Post by AzDon on Thu May 18, 2017 11:36 am

Update......Put the van back on it's wheels (up on 4 cinder blocks)..... With identical wheels/tires on front/rear, it's 2.75 inches lower in the front, but currently has no engine/trans in it....... I took my dial level underneath to check the caster.......With 6 degree shims, it is showing one degree negative caster......Since I'm going to put taller rear tires on and engine weight will go mostly to the front, I'm thinking 10-12 degree shims is whats needed to end up 2-4 degrees positive..... Fortunate that I left some extra threads on the u-bolts.....
AzDon

Post by AzDon on Sun May 28, 2017 2:18 pm

Another update.......12 degrees of shims results in 5 degrees of caster on both sides after I discovered that my cheepo Harbor Freight dial protractor reads differently when turned 180 degrees in place (junk) went back to my Ace hardware protractor that is reliable..... Also new adjustable drag link and re-sealed steering gearbox...... Pictures when I get a chance....
AzDon

Post by AzDon on Mon May 29, 2017 8:13 pm

So here is a picture of one of the saddles setting on the pin and waiting for the axle to drop in...

Here is a pic of the underside of my new bumpstop towers.... My welding looks like crap, so I hide it on the underside...

Here is what the new bumpstop looks like installed...

I had to double-stack 6 degree shims (12 degrees) to end up at 5 degrees caster with the present rake, small back tires and no drivetrain (yet)..... Hopin to end up with at least 2 degrees positive.....I used some 2 inch wide shims I had and extended the inside to keep the indexing nubs on the axle from failing to index..... I drilled the shim stacks and put a dowel pin in each stack paired with the center bolt to keep everything in alignment...

Here is the left side assembled with the airshock and fitting boot in place....I'll post more pics in my air shock thread

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:34 am