VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Direction / Inspiration / Ideas

EcoPU
    EcoPU

Number of posts : 104
    Registration date : 2013-08-28

Direction / Inspiration / Ideas Empty Direction / Inspiration / Ideas

Post by EcoPU Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:35 am

Hey guys, thanks for your time and reading in advance.

I purchased a 64 with a 289 in it about 4 years ago. It was running and driving, but hadn't been touched since the 80's. I bought it as a running project for too much ($3500). It had a bunch of gunk built up, I took it to a mechanic to make it "running condition" he said it was after $1600, only to have it blow a head gasket on the way home. (took me for a ride).

Long story short.

It needs:
    - New motor mount, everything was custom done by a previous owner and it doesn't meet Vic's standard for sure Wink. As he mentioned it can be a nightmare/lots of work to make everything right for an early and his mounts/bar.
    - Engine rebuilt or replaced (3 cylinders had lower compression), it's a 1967 289. Was thinking i'd put in something that could take roller rockers (80's+ 302).
    -Transmission upgrade? It's a c4. Would like to do an overdrive unit for highway.
    - Disc brakes? I replaced the original single master and there is new brakes up front and back. Just thinking of safety I need something with a dual master.

Where I got lost.
    I bought lots of parts to rebuild the engine myself as a project. Ripped the top and bottom of the motor apart and got lost in planning Tappet vs Roller. I got stuck on removing the main pulley to get to the balancer and it's sat for a year+ now.

It was supposed to be a junk hauler for the house and now I've made it a junk pile in the front of the house Sad

I'm now trying to move forward and I'm at a decision point.
    1. Throw the towel in and sell it for most likely under what I bought it for.
    2. Buy a turnkey motor/trans and pay someone to install it for me
    3. Buy another vehicle that drives with a 302 use it to do junk runs, then swap the motor into the econoline
    4. ?

I've replaced:
    radiator + hoses
    Brakes (drums, pads, cylinders)
    Steering wheel, shift knob
    Front window seal
    Tires

I'm not:
    A really mechanical guy ( was trying to learn)
    Do not have a compressor or air tools
    Do not have friends who are/have the above.

Andrew
    mnghost
    mnghost

Number of posts : 64

Direction / Inspiration / Ideas Empty Re: Direction / Inspiration / Ideas

Post by mnghost Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:38 pm

Andrew, I have had some of your issues. I have a a170 six w/the small rear end in my 66 van which was a nonrunner. I bought a 9 inch and was looking at an overdrive auto with a roller 302 and finally decided just spend some time on what I had and get running so I could drive it and maybe enjoy it some without the expense right now. You say you are not a mechanical guy but it sounds like you have done a fair amount of work on it. I would invest in one of those 5-600 dollar roll around upright air compressors. It would probably change your world having some air to run tools and clean parts with. My 2 cents
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Post by jdlaugh Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:16 am

If you're not a mechanical guy who enjoys working on cars -- and if you don't have a lot of disposable cash to throw at this project -- I would say walk away. I've been slowing working on my E-pup for about three years now, doing everything myself, and it still cost more than I expected. I keep at it because I enjoy the work. I joked with my wife that I would be bored if I didn't have the E-pup to work on and think about. If all you want is a trash hauler, then buy a used pickup and call it good.

That said, I would recommend you ditch the 289 and buy a modern 302. They're pretty easy to find in running condition. And buy the tools you need as you need them. You can do pretty much everything on these trucks by yourself if you have the right tools, the knowledge and the motivation.

Just my two centavos... Wink
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:25 am

You've gotten some good advice. I'll add that you can loan a lot of the special tools you need from the auto parts store, like the puller you need to get that balancer off.
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:35 am

jdlaugh wrote:If you're not a mechanical guy who enjoys working on cars -- and if you don't have a lot of disposable cash to throw at this project -- I would say walk away. I've been slowing working on my E-pup for about three years now, doing everything myself, and it still cost more than I expected. I keep at it because I enjoy the work. I joked with my wife that I would be bored if I didn't have the E-pup to work on and think about. If all you want is a trash hauler, then buy a used pickup and call it good.

That said, I would recommend you ditch the 289 and buy a modern 302. They're pretty easy to find in running condition. And buy the tools you need as you need them. You can do pretty much everything on these trucks by yourself if you have the right tools, the knowledge and the motivation.

I'd say JD is pretty much spot on.
    Jim
    EcoPU
    EcoPU

Post by EcoPU Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:00 pm

mnghost wrote:Andrew, I have had some of your issues. I have a a170 six w/the small rear end in my 66 van which was a nonrunner. I bought a 9 inch and was looking at an overdrive auto with a roller 302 and finally decided just spend some time on what I had and get running so I could drive it and maybe enjoy it some without the expense right now. You say you are not a mechanical guy but it sounds like you have done a fair amount of work on it. I would invest in one of those 5-600 dollar roll around upright air compressors. It would probably change your world having some air to run tools and clean parts with. My 2 cents

Thank you for the kind advice. I think I just got a bit overwhelmed looking at where I'm at. Like you said I just need to do a step at a time and get a compressor, which has been a plan of mine for a while.
    EcoPU
    EcoPU

Post by EcoPU Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:02 pm

jdlaugh wrote:If you're not a mechanical guy who enjoys working on cars -- and if you don't have a lot of disposable cash to throw at this project -- I would say walk away. I've been slowing working on my E-pup for about three years now, doing everything myself, and it still cost more than I expected. I keep at it because I enjoy the work. I joked with my wife that I would be bored if I didn't have the E-pup to work on and think about. If all you want is a trash hauler, then buy a used pickup and call it good.

Thanks man. I do enjoy slowly tooling on it, I've just let it sit for a bit too long. I'm in the process of cleaning out the bed of it and getting motivated again. I'm going to find a modern 302 and work on swapping the engine. I've almost gotten the old engine out piece by piece.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:57 am