VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

interior rib glue

boogieman
    boogieman

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2015-10-12

interior rib glue Empty interior rib glue

Post by boogieman Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:22 pm

im getting around to insulating and paneling my 68 g10 and id like to reglue some of the ribs to the sheetmetal thats long since separated and rattles, i dont like the idea of welding them...ive thought of maybe liquid nails or some sort of silicone...something that stays soft..any suggestions?
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

interior rib glue Empty Re: interior rib glue

Post by m1dadio Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:04 pm

I used apoxy seam sealer for automotive use.
    interior rib glue Dscn0710

Its good for in the gutter also
    uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:36 pm

Just about all of my cargo area ribs had become unglued on one of the mating surfaces and light rust was starting on the surface where the glue had been. I used a product from my local automotive paint store. Not sure of the actual brand name, but it's a product called "Panel Bond". It's made just for this purpose. It was a two part adhesive that swirled together down the spout and came out mixed.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:40 pm

I was gonna say the same, Seamsealer, NAPA sells it too in caulk gun tubes.  Supper strong, flexible enough, what the factories used...sets quick too but pricey, about $16 a tube but one tube will do a whole van and then some.  Also great for small non-structural rust repairs underneath/floors etc. without welding.  I held several small patch plates over holes in the floor in place with this stuff, back of rockers and behind the front grill area too with great results. A great alternative I used for similar work is PL-400 construction adhesive, Home Depot, Lowes, etc...nice and thick. tacky and bonds to anything, would work great for the ribs and is cheaper than seamsealer....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 am