VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Rear spring bushings - I need them. Suggestions??

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Rear spring bushings - I need them. Suggestions?? Empty Rear spring bushings - I need them. Suggestions??

Post by Skulptorchaz Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Well, I found out that the "banging" noise in the back wasn't my doors or latch rods.....it was the rear leaf spring bushings - or, lack there of.
    I had a buddy ride in the back and try to figure out the noise and he said it was from underneath. We crawled around underneath and found the bushings were either toast or gone. My local parts place is having a hard time coming up with them so I thought I'd ask you guys where we can get them or what other vehicle's bushing might work.
    Thanks!
    Chaz
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Rear spring bushings - I need them. Suggestions?? Empty Re: Rear spring bushings - I need them. Suggestions??

Post by donivan65 Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:41 pm

The forward ends use metal cartridges,,,,,,we use polyurethane ones with a sleeve to replace them,,,,,,,,,we use the HB 930 rubber ones for the shackles,,,,,

Rear spring bushings - I need them. Suggestions?? Spring10
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Rear spring bushings - I need them. Suggestions?? Empty Re: Rear spring bushings - I need them. Suggestions??

Post by Skulptorchaz Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:37 pm

I gave the numbers to my auto parts place and he said he would look into it. Is there someplace else I can find these??
    Thanks a million for the pix and numbers!
    Chaz
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Google them,,,,,,

Rear spring bushings - I need them. Suggestions?? Hb_93010
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:56 pm

Rear spring bushings - I need them. Suggestions?? Dscn8010
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:14 pm

Rear spring bushings - I need them. Suggestions?? Spring12
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:04 am

I did google them but I wasn't coming up with anything I could confirm. My fault as I have not pulled the springs apart yet. I found Energy but the numbers did not jive. (I need to be able to move the van so I wanted to get the parts first.)
    SDTruck Springs never came up for me and, of course, they would have the correct numbers. Figures.
    Thank you for doing my research for me!!!! These bad boys are as good as ordered. (probably in the next 10 minutes! Smile )
    Now, for interior fun. Smile
    Thanks again buddy!!!!!! I appreciate all your help!!
    Chaz
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:25 pm

Hmmmm...
    So since I now know where to get bushings, I called two the places. SDTruck Springs says they need dimensions (except for the numbers, HB-930, that Donivan came up with for me. They have them.) And I could not raise anyone at Energy. There was a message about all of them all being in a company meeting. (whatever)
    So, I figured I would go ahead and start pulling it apart since I need dimensions. I pulled the front drivers side spring bolt out and found this:

Rear spring bushings - I need them. Suggestions?? Dsc00822

It seems the bushing that I thought was gone is actually in there and tight, albeit gone on the outside ends. It looks like the noise was coming from "eye spring" being slapped by the second spring. What gives??? Is the second spring "opened up"? Should there be a bushing between the springs? What is the deal here? I've done a just few suspensions but have never seen this configuration before.  
    The bushing looks like it would be/will be a BEAR to get out. If I don't need to replace the whole bushing, I may try making poly "washers'' and put then in between.
    Anyway, what do I need to do now??
    Thanks guys!
    Chaz
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:32 pm

NOBODY is going to help you or know what you are talking about if you ask for parts for our vans,,,,,,those red ones are for a ford pick up,,,,,,those leafs dont move,,,,so I doubt they are making noise,,,,,,,Shocks are more of a suspect,,,,,,,you need a ball joint installer tool or big C clamp to press those cartridges out,,,,,,,
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:47 pm

Yeah, I kinda found that out. We're kinda on our own for a lot of stuff. It's great we have a site like this to help each other.

Actually, my springs do/did move. I guess they may be that weak or something. That is DEFINITELY what was making the noise. They could easily be separated with little effort. I built these and took her for a spin and she's quiet as a church mouse.

Rear spring bushings - I need them. Suggestions?? Dsc00824

I used 3/16'' x 2'' strips with a 1/16'' thick strip of UHMW in between the springs to maybe help they stay put. I figure the friction of 2'' worth of steel on either side would probably hold them but the UHMW sandwiched in between them should help.
    I still wouldn't mind eventually changing out the bushings, but for now they are OK. They are tight in there but I know the reds would probably help handling a little.
    Thank you for all the insight and help!!!!
    Chaz
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:19 pm

Well,,,,,,for the u bolts to hold the springs tightly so they dont move, the springs have  7 leafs,,,,,do you have something different that might be  causing the problem?

Rear spring bushings - I need them. Suggestions?? Kamp_210
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Yup.
    The P.O removed 4 springs as I only have 3. He spaced the u-bolts. (I'll have shorter ones one day.) I'm sure he wanted it down on the ground more. I'm guessing it will be ok like that. I do like being able to lay it down as well. It seems to handle as good as it should for what it is.
    I would like to put a set of sway bars on it, like yours, one day tho. Did you have to adapt sways (like most everything else Smile )or can we get them specifically for our vans?
    Chaz
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:49 am

You ARE "da man"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now I have another project to add to the (long) list. Smile
    I will have to also look into a front sway. I know from racing, if you can plant the front wheels going into a corner it is even better than the rear, altho both is best. I've just never contemplated a sway on a straight axle. Time to start asking questions again. Smile
    Thanks a ton ol'bud!!
    Chaz
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Rear spring bushings - I need them. Suggestions?? Empty Leaf Spring related

Post by gfleduc Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:46 am

In addition to the bushings & if you are taking the leaf spring set a part, the camero kit may help:
    http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000170a~Z5Z5Z5AAPFS~P44.95~~~~S4UE05N7PC47221414030c~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000170a

Rear spring bushings - I need them. Suggestions?? Leaf_s10

There is also a cheaper four leaf kit
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:21 am

Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:36 pm