VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
AzDon
redvango
6 posters

towiing capasity

redvango
    redvango

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2015-06-27

towiing capasity Empty towiing capasity

Post by redvango Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:18 pm

I want to tow a trailer with my 65 g10! My motor is a beefy six with a 4 barrel carb. and a stock 2 speed powerglide tranny! any one know the tow weight capasity? the trailer i like is 4200 lbs! I think i pulled an older 18 ft. one before but do'nt remember what it was for weight? Question

Last edited by redvango on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 741
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

towiing capasity Empty Re: towiing capasity

Post by AzDon Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:37 pm

I routinely towed a 3500# flatbottom with my 66 van, though I had swapped in a 396 and t-350..... Even though the wheelbase and overall length is short, these vans have most of the weight over the front axle and almost no rear overhang, keeping the ball weight close to the rear axle.....The three speed first gear may not be low enough to comfortably start from stop though...
    redvango
    redvango

Post by redvango Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks for the reply:)  I have A Stock 2 speed powerglide
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:46 pm

What's your rear end ratio and transmission?
    redvango
    redvango

Post by redvango Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:20 pm

I found out from my auto body guy that the capasity is 4000 lbs. tow weight and 500 lbs. tounge
    65-G10-guy
    65-G10-guy

Registration date : 2012-11-16

Post by 65-G10-guy Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:02 am

Hey Red, There are several factors here to consider. It sounds like engine power is probably sufficient. Do some research on capacity of Powerglides, I know they are pretty tuff but with a total weight of 7000# plus you may be at its upper limit. Your rear gears are a question, but these vans came with a variety so you may be fine.  Most importantly, if you have the stock 9" brakes you are pushing your luck. Does the trailer have brakes? Is your van stock? My empty cargo van weighed in at 2840#. A heavy trailer on a light van may be squirrely in a panic stop situation. An unloaded van can be difficult to stop even without a trailer pushing. I am not trying to discourage you,  It can be done safely with the proper set up. I just don't want to see a vanner get in trouble. Jerry
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:48 pm

I wouldn't do it!

My first van, a sweet 1966 sportvan custom, was totalled in a towing accident! Dumb dumb dumb. I still kick myself. I just thank God nobody got hurt or killed. A Jeep wagoneer was also totalled.

Get a proper tow vehicle! A shortwheelbase first gen van with a six and a powerglide with little drum brakes and a single reservoir master cyl is no way a proper tow rig.

For a 4200 lb. trailer, you really should have a 3/4 ton truck at a minimum.
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:10 am

Good info!
    What kind of hitch do you plan on using Redvango??
    I too would like to tow with my van, but just a Harley or dune buggy or small trailer. Truly nothing big.
    That said, is there hitches out there for our vans or do I fabricate one? I have the shop and skills to but, some things I'd just rather not spend the time on.
    redvango
    redvango

Post by redvango Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:40 am

kookykrispy wrote:I wouldn't do it!

My first van, a sweet 1966 sportvan custom, was totalled in a towing accident!  Dumb dumb dumb.  I still kick myself.  I just thank God nobody got hurt or killed.  A Jeep wagoneer was also totalled.  

Get a proper tow vehicle!  A shortwheelbase first gen van with a six and a powerglide with little drum brakes and a single reservoir master cyl is no way a proper tow rig.  

For a 4200 lb. trailer, you really should have a 3/4 ton truck at a minimum.  
    redvango
    redvango

Post by redvango Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:02 am

Ya I went down to a3800 lbs trailer with a dual axle with brakes  and is 400 lbs tounge  wieght! I use to drive a tow truck and tow with the van before and your right it is on the limits but I'm sure with the right set up all will be well! I was going short local parks to start and if it didn't seem safe I wood just  get 3/4 ton to tow it! still THANKS to all who take pride and concern for us in the vanner's  clubs P.S. my grandfather had a moble home dealer ship and use it to to trailers and that the one that got me started when i was 16 years young!    JOHN(redvango)
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:33 pm

If I was to pull a trailer, a camping trailer, I would stick to something at or less then a ton dry. But that's just me, I would do that with our Subaru, my truck or my van. As far as pulling a utility trailer, I think you find your comfort level real quick if there is too much weight, and it depends on where and how far you are pulling a load of gravel, dirt or whatever. Of course if you're pulling anything, safety is paramount. You should know the condition of your brakes, wheel bearings, driveline, etc
    redvango
    redvango

Post by redvango Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:46 pm

I had a guy who  made weight scales next to where i worked and he made a heavy duty hitch for the van to handle 750 lbs ! tuck up close to the bumper! I also talked to a guy who has a 68 gi0 and had his 2 speed glide set up for drag racing and was going to a 400 three speed and said  i could have the powerglide! and if i change the rear gears just a little for more torge at start when towing (don't need to do 100 mph)!!!   we'll see? custom stuff always has a ? mark! You can try something else!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:26 am