VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

65 sending unit

Chevboner
    Chevboner

Number of posts : 209
    Registration date : 2012-09-15

65 sending unit Empty 65 sending unit

Post by Chevboner Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:28 pm

Im pretty happy that i just found possibly the original sending unit in a box that came with my van. Smiley said I'm lucky if it is the 0-30 ohm one that is required, and i know how hard it is to find a proper one that would work….

My question is where should/can I go with it from here? Just clean it up and test it or send it out to be rebuilt?

I remember reading GMman saying he'd sent his out to NY, if you did that GMman what is the update with yours?

Also how would i go about testing it?

65 sending unit Img_1314
    65 sending unit Img_1315
    65 sending unit Img_1313
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

65 sending unit Empty Re: 65 sending unit

Post by Vantasia Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:35 pm

Looks pretty clean for one of those. EXCEPT, it looks like the flat ribbon wire that connects the sender to the top plate is missing, breaks easily.  You can replace it with a heavy wire or solid brass strip but was riveted on and hard to get solder to stick.  So maybe send it out for rebuild.  Otherwise, test it with a volt-ohm meter, should read down to about 1.5-2.3 ohms empty and a bit over 30 when full. If it reads as you move it and its fairly tight, leave it, it works.  I'd get a new solid urethane float, about $10 on eBay and a replacement screen for the tube end.  You can also but a lock ring and gasket set for them.  Finally, there is a special tool for the ring made repro, search eBay, worth having.  Here's truck parts dealer who sells the tool:
    http://www.bobschevytrucks.com/engine-and-motor-parts/fuel-system/fuel-tank-sending-units/ Look at the picture of the 63-66 truck unit, its similar but too long for the van tank and has 3/8" tubes, they don't make a van one....yet...in the pics you can see the black plastic coated ribbon you are missing.
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

65 sending unit Empty 1st Gen Fuel Sending Units

Post by gfleduc Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:03 pm

FYI - I have posted in the parts section before - I can provide a NEW Stainless Steel unit with:
    5/16 diameter tube
    30 ohm potentiometer
    Tank seal & locking tab etc

I can also rebuild or an exchange.
    Here are some examples:

New Make $125
    65 sending unit New_ma11

Rebuilt $75 (with core provided)
    New parts: 30 ohm potentiometer; Float, Screen, Tank seal & locking tab.
    65 sending unit Sold_o10

I do enjoy saying they are selling like hotcakes  (I never see anyone buying a hotcake....)

Regardless I would be very happy to help / advise how to check and maybe get yours working.

Gary

you can also email me:  gfleduc@hotmail.com
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

65 sending unit Empty Re: 65 sending unit

Post by jrdunn96 Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:50 am

gfleduc wrote:FYI - I have posted in the parts section before - I can provide a NEW Stainless Steel unit with:
    5/16 diameter tube
    30 ohm potentiometer
    Tank seal & locking tab etc

I can also rebuild or an exchange.
    Here are some examples:

New Make $125
    65 sending unit New_ma11

Rebuilt $75 (with core provided)
    New parts: 30 ohm potentiometer; Float, Screen, Tank seal & locking tab.
    65 sending unit Sold_o10

I do enjoy saying they are selling like hotcakes  (I never see anyone buying a hotcake....)

Regardless I would be very happy to help / advise how to check and maybe get yours working.

Gary

you can also email me:  gfleduc@hotmail.com

Gary,
    "I do enjoy saying they are selling like hotcakes  (I never see anyone buying a hotcake....)"  Go down to the local Ihop or Waffle House. LOL.

What I really wanted to know is, "do you soil you hands on Fords as well?"  I know it's "slumming"  but I need a new one.  I could get one from Mac's or somewhere but would rather patronize a fellow member.

Thanks,
    Jim
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

65 sending unit Empty Sending Units

Post by gfleduc Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:49 pm

Sorry Jim,

Just Chevy 1st Gen

Thank-you for asking
    Gary