BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Air Conditioning idea - could it work?

Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-05-08

Re: Air Conditioning idea - could it work?

Post by Skulptorchaz on Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:08 pm

I will try this for the 4th time. Hopefully it will allow me to access my thread this time.

This is the inverter I was looking at using. WAGAN Tech proline 3000 from best Buy. It's a bit larger than necessary but I'm told that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have limited experience at this stuff so I am open for other opinions.
Thanks again for the info Tim! Hopefully I'll see ya crusin around the Queen City some time.
Chaz

Seth G
Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 1580
Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:28 pm

I like your thinking. It's always better to have more than you need when it comes to juice. Just like HiFi or anything else. It's never good to be at the edge of any machine or system's capabilities. At some point excess is absurd, but that's beyond what your going to buy anyway. They claim it will run a small microwave, that's good enough.

The thing is, what kind of battery bank are you running this thing with? Charge it on the road, running? Where are you going? An extension cord is alot cheaper, if there's an outlet. I'm sure you've thought of that, I'm just curious
Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:08 am

My battery, altho I don't know the ccw rating off hand, is pretty standard. I am, however, running a 105 amp alternator. I should have the juice going down the road but you are absolutely correct - a pole or gen is better when stopped. I have one of those little quiet Honda generators for the occasional camping trip. I doubt I will ever use a pole, as I probably won't do much "serious camping" with it. Just an occasional field party or music fest. (I have a 35' GMC tour bus if I get serious. Smile )
I will however, probably use it for my German buddies boys (13 year old twins) when they come over in the summer. They usually stay in the coach for fun. They like cool stuff like this cause they are EXTREMELY limited over there. Then I will use the pole for the AC.
Let's hope Tim and my attempts work. I think it would be a great way to fly.
Chaz
Timcoke1

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2014-12-06

Post by Timcoke1 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Timcoke1

Post by Timcoke1 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:05 pm

Here is a picture of the A/C and the Inverter...
My hope is to add an additional Marine Battery under the van as needed.... Tomorrow should be warm enough to see how many amps it draws at full speed...
Timcoke1

Post by Timcoke1 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:06 pm

Timcoke1

Post by Timcoke1 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:31 am

Tested yesterday with 76 degree temps... didn't work as nicely as I had hoped... will test with house current to see if it is the Inverter or the Unit itself.. it may not be large enough.. 8000 BTU...

There was hot exhaust out of the vent pipe.. but the temperature in the van was still not what I had hoped for.
Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:55 am

Maybe a temp probe or thermometer of some sort at the vent opening would shed some light. Do it in the van and in the house. Maybe the inverter has something to do with it.(??) Just a thought but, I would have thought 8000would have done it. (??) But. I'm no heat and air guy.
Keep us informed!!
Thanks buddy!
Chaz

ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:54 am

Back in my pump jockey days, on a really hot day, we would go over to the air hose and open it up inside our jumpsuits (uniforms). One would look like a Disney character, all blown up, yet the decompressing air really cooled us off and fast. Just a few of those treatments on a hot day really made it more bearable.

So, I was wondering, not to steal your thread, yet has anybody ever run a air compressor off their engine maybe running the air through a cooling coil (thinking normal A/C type mounted in front of the ratiator and then run the line into their clothes while driving around in the heat. Certainly such a contraption would not be OSHA approved or exactly fuel efficient yet it would be a blast--literally and figuratively while sitting in heat. Also, of course, one could fill up a tire or other inflatable PDQ. I have in mind the old school York A/C compressors that have an independent oil sump and are easy to convert to compessing air. And all the old Chevy's used York compreassors at some point so I bet there are even nice factory mounts and clutched pulleys available.

Just curious if anybody has tried same, happy motoring, Mark
AzDon

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:19 pm

ChevyVanMan1 wrote:Back in my pump jockey days, on a really hot day, we would go over to the air hose and open it up inside our jumpsuits (uniforms). One would look like a Disney character, all blown up, yet the decompressing air really cooled us off and fast. Just a few of those treatments on a hot day really made it more bearable.

So, I was wondering, not to steal your thread, yet has anybody ever run a air compressor off their engine maybe running the air through a cooling coil (thinking normal A/C type mounted in front of the ratiator and then run the line into their clothes while driving around in the heat. Certainly such a contraption would not be OSHA approved or exactly fuel efficient yet it would be a blast--literally and figuratively while sitting in heat. Also, of course, one could fill up a tire or other inflatable PDQ. I have in mind the old school York A/C compressors that have an independent oil sump and are easy to convert to compessing air. And all the old Chevy's used York compreassors at some point so I bet there are even nice factory mounts and clutched pulleys available.

Just curious if anybody has tried same, happy motoring, Mark

OR..... You could remove the windshield and just wear goggles......

ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Great idea! Drove my old VW bus across town, on a cool day with windshield out (google and warm coat). Refreshing!!! Wish I could figure out how to put Safari window on my 1st Gen.
AzDon

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:32 pm

It's flat glass that has it's edges set into a rubber grommet..... something cool could be engineered.... I think if I was interested in doing something with the windshield, I'd want it hinged at the bottom and tip inward at the top...
Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:53 pm

Hey Tim,
Did you ever get any further with your AC project? Just curious.
Keep us posted.
Chaz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:33 am