VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Process for putting new bushings on front end?

whalemstr
    whalemstr

Number of posts : 248
    Registration date : 2012-06-27

Process for putting new bushings on front end? Empty Process for putting new bushings on front end?

Post by whalemstr Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:33 am

I jacked the rig up and put jack stands under the front bumber brackets.
    I then lowered the van - still cannot find a spot where the bushings are loose enough to mess with?

What am I missing here???

Thanks,
    dan
    jeepsterhemi
    jeepsterhemi

Number of posts : 79
    Registration date : 2012-02-20

Process for putting new bushings on front end? Empty Re: Process for putting new bushings on front end?

Post by jeepsterhemi Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:11 am

Won't help you much if you don't have the tool............at least it give an idea of the way to support the truck......

Process for putting new bushings on front end? Spring11
    Process for putting new bushings on front end? Spring10
    jeepsterhemi
    jeepsterhemi

Number of posts : 79
    Registration date : 2012-02-20

Process for putting new bushings on front end? Empty Re: Process for putting new bushings on front end?

Post by jeepsterhemi Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:24 am

Process for putting new bushings on front end? Spring12
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Mon May 15, 2017 9:43 am

I still have not been able to get those changed and it's pissing me off.

There is no way I can get the shackles to relax enough to allow the old shackles and bolts to even come out. I've tried jacking it up so the wheel was off the ground even and the shock fully extended and it doesn't give me even enough to take them off doing that.

Should I take the shock loose and let it hang even more or what?
    I haven't tried taking the shock loose because it seems like I shouldn't have to???

Anyway, I have it jacked up again right now trying to get this figured out once and for all dammit!!!

Process for putting new bushings on front end? Spring%20shackle%201_zps6xrcohki

It refuses to get to where I can safely slide the old off and the new stuff on...

PS...edited to add that I have an owners manual and tried what is in the book and pages you guys posted a long time ago...frustrating as F when you know the process but have never done it and hit this kind of problem out of the gate...arrgggg...
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Post by busman78 Mon May 15, 2017 10:37 am

Front or rear of van supported on jack stands, remove the wheels & tires, place jack under axle but not on the spring, jack enough to support the axle, remove the u-bolts holding the axle on one side (right or left), lower the axle so spring is free. Now the spring has no load, yes the bolts will be hard, they have been there for decades. You do not need the "tool" to remove or install the bushings, make your own, the all thread washers & nuts was less than $5, already had big sockets, if not find some scrap pipe, pictures below. Do one side at a time, use never seize on the bolt & nuts.
    Process for putting new bushings on front end? Bushin10

Pulling the bushing, I had a big socket for the old bushing to be pushed into, but a piece of pipe will work just as well. use lots of PB Blaster or similar.
    Process for putting new bushings on front end? Img_3210

Installing, the wedged screwdriver where the roll of the eye meets the spring helps installing to get a squared start easier with new bushing, use never seize on eye, slides in easier.
    Process for putting new bushings on front end? Img_3211

Done deal
    Process for putting new bushings on front end? Img_3212

If any of you are air cooled VW fans and have the T1 crank gear puller it also does a good job pulling the bushing but not for installing.
    Process for putting new bushings on front end? Img_3110
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Mon May 15, 2017 11:00 am

holy guacamolie batman!!!

you mean I have to take the whole spring out to change the bushings and shackles?!?!

sunny beaches...

thanks for the pics!!

my body can't take this crap anymore dangit!!!

Number of posts : 433
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 Mon May 15, 2017 11:33 am

Maybe you try some ice-spray on the bushings (just the bushings, not the spring eye) to get them just a liiitle smaller that you'll be able to pull/push them out.

added: I have to admit that I did not do it myself, yet. If my body shop won't get it done, I'll stop by a local spring shop - they'll be able to do it (did it on the Charger's rear axle in the past). Maybe an alternative?
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Mon May 15, 2017 12:08 pm

I have not gotten the dual spring shackles close to being able to hammer them out and put the new set in yet...

Didn't realize I was going to have to drop the springs off of the axle itself...
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Mon May 15, 2017 12:08 pm

getting the old bushings out should be no problem as they are totally wore away and there is metal on metal happening...
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Process for putting new bushings on front end? Empty GOT THE ONE SET DONE!!!

Post by whalemstr Mon May 15, 2017 1:25 pm

Process for putting new bushings on front end? Spring%20shackle%204_zpsem2lr8wj
    Process for putting new bushings on front end? Spring%20shackle%205_zpsoud9fhy9
    Process for putting new bushings on front end? Spring%20shackle%206_zpsxsohscxl

gonna take me a week just to recuperate from this...lol
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Post by busman78 Mon May 15, 2017 2:57 pm

Oh you were just doing the easy end, the other end can be done with spring still in, just not as easy or as much fun.
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Mon May 15, 2017 4:51 pm

LOL

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am