BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Misfiring and idling

ben429543

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2016-03-23

Re: Misfiring and idling

Post by ben429543 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:08 pm

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=16&ved=0ahUKEwiG9pHM76TRAhUUR2MKHaGAADQQFghIMA8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdevestechnet.com%2FFigures%2Fenginetiming.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEL0yMgA3x1r5X970K3T0dvAKLcug
This is what I used to set my distributor
jrinaman

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:43 pm

if timing marks are as in pic, then it is on one. since the cam gear is twice the size of the crank gear, your damper will line up twice for every one time your cam is rotated. dist. runs off cam. that is why I posted it could be one or six. that flat spot is your oil pump. you can reach in with a long screwdriver and turn it if needed. this gets your timing close. snug the distributor but loose enough to move it by hand. you may need to turn it slightly to get it to fire. advance it until it starts running rough, back it off a hair and then check with timing light.
ben429543

Post by ben429543 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:33 am

yesterday i set it to the directions they had and it wasn't starting. also with the way they told me to set it, the rotor was not pointing at the #1 wire. i tried to turn the distributor a bit and still nothing. so i took it out again and lined up the rotor with the #1 wire and made the vacuum advance line parallel with the engine like they said. slapped it all back in, tightened it down, and tried to start it. i heard a pop and i didn't touch it after that. it came from the distributor. at least that is what it sounded like.
ben429543

Post by ben429543 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:01 pm

Just tried to set it again to the manual and this time the pop was louder...
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Number of posts : 11421
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:40 pm

....Put your thumb over #1 spark plug hole,,,,,crank the engine, stop when you feel pressure pushing out of the hole,,,,,,,then go line the notch on the pulley to 0,,,,,,,,the rotor needs to be pointing to #1 spark plug wire in the CAP at that time,,,,,,,,,,,,if it aint, AND you are lazy,,,,,move the wires around the cap so that the rotor is pointing to #1 plug wire and the rest go clockwise in the cap 1 5 3 6 2 4,,,,,,,,,,it dont matter what hole #1 wire ends up in when you do it this way,,,,,,other way is pull the distributor after you get the pressure and notch on 0 and point the rotor to wherever the hell #1 wire is ,,,,then you got to fight lining up the oil pump so the distributor can fit into it and slide ALL THE WAY down,,,,,,,your choice,,,,,you either move the wires to the rotor or move the rotor to the wires,,,,,,both ways are correct,,,,,,,,
AzDon

Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon on Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:20 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you need to get some basic automotive education before tackling even the simplest of engines (which these are). If you don't have a basic idea of how this stuff works, you probably aren't going to succeed at this regardless of how patient folks are here....
Okay, Lets start over.....OF COURSE the engine wont idle with the truck sitting still and in gear unless the clutch is pushed in (You get that, right?)IT'S A STICK! When it's in gear, the engine is locked to the back wheels!! (does this really need explanation?)
Next, the rotor only goes on the end of the shaft in one position, snapped all the way down....
With the cap off, roll the crank around to where the timing mark is on tdc..... Is the rotor pointing at THE POSITION IN IT'S ROTATION WHERE THE NUMBER ONE WIRE WOULD PLUG INTO THE CAP? Or is it pointing 180degrees away? (still okay for now) What we are trying to establish here is if you started the firing order from the number one port in the distributor cap. If the rotor points 180 degrees away from the number one wire port, rotate the crank around a full turn and it will point at number one because distributor turns at half speed.
NOW, the other issue that is illustrated by Doni's photo is that the balancer is two metal wheels with a strip of rubber between them and sometimes old balancers have the outer ring (with the timing mark) slip on the inner wheel resulting in a false TDC when the marks are matched up.....YOU MUST MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT THE NUMBER ONE PISTON IS AT TRUE TDC WHEN THE MARKS ARE ALIGNED!
Once you have determined that the balancer hasn't slipped and you've got the engine rotated to where the rotor is close to the number one cap tower with the timing marks aligned, you need to start the firing order in the cap from right where the rotor points...If the rotor points between two towers, You will need to loosen the dist hold down clamp and rotate the housing to where the rotor points at a cap tower, which will be number one. When using a timing light, adjustment is made to the timing by slightly loosening this clamp and rotating the housing to change the orientation of the entire cap to the rotor turning inside.......
jrinaman

Post by jrinaman on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:19 pm

if you set it according to the link you provided. you would of needed to pull the damper and timing gear cover, did you do that to line up the marks? if not, DONT! just do as Donavan suggested or confirm by watching rockers. number one intake just closed, exhaust not open yet. the pop is because it is firing out of time. 'IF' damper has not slipped, it is 180 out. pull dist. and turn 180 or rewire with number one wire where the rotor is pointing. you have to check by setting the cap on after snugging it down. if you turned it to make the advance parallel, the cap (and no.1 wire) also moved. have to agree with azdon on his comments but that's how I learned to, take it apart and hoped I got it back together, only difference was I didn't have internet or anyone giving advice.
ben429543

Post by ben429543 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:30 pm

Well I got it set, forgot to come on here to check what yall said till now... I keep fixing problems and more come out. Now the bitch has rod knock... My girl had this problem yesterday... She fixed her problems on her subaru and it brought out rod knock. I f*cking love this:). Also @azdon I just drove a stick yesterday and it idled at stop in first gear. How is that so if, I guess, NO STICK IDLES IN GEAR???
ben429543

Post by ben429543 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:33 pm

Another thing also, this is how I am learning about mechanics. Not everybody has the money or time to take a class to learn shit. Especially when that money is used to feed and shelter yourself:)
jrinaman

Post by jrinaman on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:38 pm

are you sure its rod knock? could be advanced too far and detonation. try retarding the timing a little and see if it goes away. if you have a standard shift in gear and clutch pedal not depressed, it should either stall or move! that is why several of us asked repeatedly if it was a stick. had it been an automatic, we would of looked at other issues besides timing. wont idle in gear with clutch depressed is a simple clutch adjustment, doesn't make sense that you would idle in gear without holding clutch in, it shouldn't idle in gear!
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:19 pm

The notch is mounted in rubber,,,,,,,they slip,,,,,,in my world we test the harmonic balancers to see if the notch is in the correct position in relation to the keyway, before trying to set the timing,,,,,,

Digz

Number of posts : 3720
Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:44 am

See if Don agrees here but another way to test for bad rod is to remove plug wire one at a time. In theory knock will go away or lessen if you take the power from the cylinder.
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:46 am

,,,all the information above is good,,,,,,,,IF,,,,,,,,we are on the same page,,,,,,,,some of us need to flip back some pages,,,,,some need to read ahead,,,some dont have the book yet,,,,,,,but the deal is,,,,,,most people come here for help,,,,,,,,so lets work on our book,,,,,,,and when we get on the same page, and that could take time,,,,,,,then things get done.........
AzDon

Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:27 pm

I'm going to back away because multiple sources of the same info stated in several different ways is not getting through and I'm really not as good at teaching people that are challenged learners as others may be......
I'm going pop some popcorn and try to sit quietly and learn something new
GOOD LUCK!
richie61

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-01-04

Post by richie61 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:13 am

I saw Ben Sunday. He's having a mechanic come look at his van to see whats going on. I loaned him my timing light and dwell meter in case they need it. His van has a manual transmission.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:07 pm