BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

MoonEyes steering wheel

KISSfan

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2016-08-23

MoonEyes steering wheel

Post by KISSfan on Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Hi everyone, I just bought a 15" MoonEyes steering wheel off eBay. The seller stated I need to by an adapter, but I'm not sure what to buy.
I want my horn to be functional as well (it's not currently).
I understand I'll need a steering wheel puller to get the original one off.
Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!
Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1174
Registration date : 2009-10-17

Re: MoonEyes steering wheel

Post by Space Truckin on Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:35 pm

Grant Steering wheel adapter, looks to be #3162

http://www.grantproducts.com/products/application_search/#

Vantasia

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:59 am

Yes, I have the Mooneyes wheel in blue.  Uses the Grant adapter kit for GM.  The horn should work with the cam in the kit. Just make sure the spring loaded contact is in right, it press fits in but mine was loose or broke and kept popping out so I had to epoxy it into the hub to make it work.  Also, the three smaller shoulder bolts don't have to be more than snug tight, they strip real easy in the diecast hub, they only center the wheel and hold the horn contact ring.  Do not torque them up.  The center shaft nut is what holds the wheel in place after you put the three small bolts in.  When you put the horn button on, use three scraps of cardboard between the horn ring and the center of the wheel to hold it up so you can twist the button on without blasting the horn, otherwise the tabs in the button won't catch the wafer.  Look close at the picture, you can see three small notches at the edge of the wafer, the button has three small tabs that push through the notches and then you twist the button to lock it in place.  The spring sits loose on top of the steering shaft and is compressed when you push and turn the button on.  After it seats, pull out the cardboard strips.  I have taken my wheel on and off several times for various things like this.  While to have it apart, might as well do the turn signal switch at the same time if you haven't done so already!  Wheel is smaller than stock but still drives and steers easily with Moon wheel.  BTW, the kit does not come with the horn button, did you get that with the wheel?  Mine came with it direct from Moon.  They are pretty universal and can be had separate.  Moon sells the Grant kit for vintage GM, $28 http://www.mooneyesusa.com/Steering-Wheel-s/74.htm  as well as the buttons.

Grant kit:

Moon Wheel installed in 1st Gen:
Vantasia

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia on Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:25 am

Another tip:  Yes you will need a puller to get the old wheel off and then for the adapter anytime you need to remove it to get to the turn signal switch.  Napa sells a nice kit.  If its a one time thing, a lot of auto stores will loan/rent you a kit, why spend $50-60 and never use it again. The stock wheel should have threaded holes for a universal puller kit on each side of the center bolt.  A jaw puller will break the wheel edges.  For the metal hub, I use a small Craftsman two-jaw.  The tip is, with either puller, you do not want to booger the top of the threads on the streering shaft.  Use a small socket as a spacer to push on top of the shaft or a larger one to go over the threads and push against the socket when tightening the pullers, they always have a tendency to wander off center and mash the threads on the shaft.  If the puller has a dimple on the end, use a punch to match the dimple on the end of the shaft its solid.  But some old cars have a hollow shaft for the horn wire so you need the socket to act as protective cap when using the puller.....hope this is helpful!
KISSfan

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2016-08-23

Post by KISSfan on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:05 am

Thank you all for the tips!!!
I just ordered the wheel yesterday and will get this installed sometime soon.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:06 pm