VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Head lights turning off while driving

Vern100
    Vern100

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2016-09-14

Head lights turning off while driving  Empty Head lights turning off while driving

Post by Vern100 Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:48 am

Hey all,

new guy here, I have a 1969 a100 with a 318. Im having an issue while driving with my headlights on and them not wanting to stay on. It will run a mile or two then after that the headlights will cut out. I can turn them off then on again and they will return for a little while then do that same. Really appreciate any feed back or suggestions on what may be happening. This forum has been a great resource for me the past couple months. Thanks
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Head lights turning off while driving  Empty Re: Head lights turning off while driving

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:12 pm

,,,are you any good at hot wiring the dimmer switch to see if there is a short in the wiring causing the circuit breaker in the headlight switch to trip or maybe the headlight or dimmer switch going bad?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Head lights turning off while driving  Empty Re: Head lights turning off while driving

Post by RodStRace Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:47 pm

First, make sure this happens during daylight and parked. It will make it a LOT easier to diagnose if it does.
    If it only happens when driving, it will be a loose connection somewhere and much harder to track down. See Between the seats for electrical diagnosis.

Now, if it happens when parked during the day, cause it to happen (turn on the headlights and wait until they stop working), then check the main switching components for heat. Use either an infrared temp gun (preferred) or your fingers (CAUTION! HOT!) to check the temp of the dimmer switch and headlight switch. Both should be warm to quite warm to the touch but not HOT. Hot indicates a resistance that is causing the issue. Of course, since you made it happen, something will be HOT. Also check the temp of the headlight wires going into the back of each bucket from the cabin area.
    They are the ones going through the round grommet shown at the back of the bulge in this picture.
    Head lights turning off while driving  001

If you find a hot component, turn the switch off and allow to cool. Check the wiring connector and tangs of the switch for corrosion. Clean as needed. If the connectors and switch tangs are clean, replace the switch. Also inspect the nearby wiring to ensure it hasn't been damaged.

Headlight switch = Standard Motor Products DS165T
    Dimmer Switch = Standard Motor Products DS68T
    Head lights turning off while driving  838-047_838-032_Q-2

It's probably also a good idea to clean the contacts on the other switch and the headlight connections and the ground, located by the headlight. This will be a Black/White wire held to the body with a screw. All should be clean, bare metal.

Once this is done, you should check the system voltage while running and with the headlights on. Measure voltage across the battery terminals. Idle should be at least battery voltage, and above idle should be 14+ volts. If you have low voltage diagnose and repair the charging system. This will be in Group 8 ELECTRICAL of the service manual.
    BTW, if your fuse block has dirty connections as shown in the picture, it would probably also be a good idea to pull the fuses and clean them too!
    Disconnect the battery, then remove each fuse, noting location and rating, then use fine sandpaper or a small wire brush to get those connections shiny again.

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:58 pm

Also, if you don't know how to remove the headlight switch...

1. Disconnect the battery.
    2. pull the switch knob out 2 clicks.
    Reach under dash and push the little button on the side of the switch WHILE pulling the knob. The knob should come out. It may need a bit of twisting and/or pushing/pulling to get it to come out.
    Head lights turning off while driving  A100_LightSwitch-06

Head lights turning off while driving  A100_LightSwitch-08-477x350
    3. Carefully turn the bezel to unscrew from switch. This is visible in the background of the picture of the 2 knobs. The switch has a tang that locks in position (notch in dash hole) to keep from turning.

This may be easier to get to by removing the screws and speedo cable and lifting out the instrument cluster. A good time to check other electrical connections, particularly the 2 fat wires that connect to the back of the ammeter. ALL the charging system power goes through these wires! This is why I recommend disconnecting the battery. Reaching up or pulling out the cluster can cause shorts!

Vern100
    Vern100

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2016-09-14

Post by Vern100 Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:43 pm

Thank you Donivan and RodSTrace . I was messing with dimmer this past weekend and cycling the high and low beams and my light issue has stopped... I noticed it would cut out in between the two settings the first couple times I would press it but now it does not.. I ordered a new dimmer and head light switch incase this "fix" is something temporary(most likely) . Thank you for the links to the parts.

Number of posts : 434
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:04 pm

Perfect instruction. I would just like to add to upgrade the wiring with the following:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-H4-Headlight-Relay-Wiring-Harness-System-2-Headlamp-Light-Bulb-Fix-Dim-Light-/310882156217
    (just an example, something alike)

Although I do have the need for this upgrade, as I have to use H4 bulbs here in Germany, it is a good idea anyway. Takes all the stress off the switches. It's pretty easy (I connected to the plus input to the alternator side of the ammeter), I already did it on my Charger (that's 4 H4 instead of 2 + 2 sealed beam) and on the A100. Works like a charm and I do not have (and will not have) any issues with overloaded or even hot wires in the dash.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 pm