VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Stop/Tail/Turn Signal Help -Please

DueNorth
    DueNorth

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2016-10-22

Stop/Tail/Turn Signal Help -Please Empty Stop/Tail/Turn Signal Help -Please

Post by DueNorth Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi All

Maybe not a question you get often here!

-my '69 A108 has rear all red stop/tail/turn (allbeit a later LED replacement)- which will not pass the Uk MOT -as turn signals need to be amber

Not sure at the moment whether to go for aftermarket Uk compliant light cluster which means I will need to separate the stop/turn wiring into two  separate connections

or rewire the reverse lights as amber turn signals by running cable from the fronts- which seems easier..... but I will still need to deactivate the current red turn signal without affecting the stop lights (as even with extra amber indicators added-apparently the red ones still are not allowed to flash)

Just wondering if there is an obvious place to do either in the wiring loom?( I've had a look at the wiring diagram-but can't really follow it tbh!)

Thanks for your help

Mike

Number of posts : 434
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Stop/Tail/Turn Signal Help -Please Empty Re: Stop/Tail/Turn Signal Help -Please

Post by 69 Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:53 pm

You'd need to remove the stop light wires from the turn signal switch.

That's where the two merge to the combined signal.

Stop light could als be direct connection between stop light switch (below steering, outside) to stop light at the rear only and other side ignition +. I'd assume that then the available wires for the turn lights would only work for the turn signal.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:45 pm

What kind of law is that? For a 100 years everything built used 1 wire to to turn on the bulb which served as both brake and turn signal,,,,,,,,,does that mean no vehicle built before something like 1990 can not be licensed? Ask them to explain the dumb rule,,,,,,,surely you are exempt from that,,,,,,,,,,get some of those magnetic tow lights and stick them on your bumper if they want separate bulbs,,,,,,,
    DueNorth
    DueNorth

Post by DueNorth Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:00 am

69 wrote:You'd need to remove the stop light wires from the turn signal switch.

That's where the two merge to the combined signal.

Stop light could als be direct connection between stop light switch (below steering, outside) to stop light at the rear only and other side ignition +. I'd assume that then the available wires for the turn lights would only work for the turn signal.

Thanks for that-much appreciated!
    Mike
    DueNorth
    DueNorth

Post by DueNorth Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:17 am

donivan65 wrote:What kind of law is that?   For a 100 years everything built used 1 wire to to turn on the bulb which served as both brake and turn signal,,,,,,,,,does that mean no vehicle built before something like 1990  can not be licensed?   Ask them to explain the dumb rule,,,,,,,surely you are exempt from that,,,,,,,,,,get some of those magnetic tow lights and stick them on your bumper if they want separate bulbs,,,,,,,

Welcome to UK Legislation!- ha ha

The requirement for amber indicators is not a new rule- it was introduced here in 1965

If the vehicle is pre-Sept '65 it can have US style single stop/turn/tail in red -after that it must have separate amber turn signals.

Apparently it is because UK motorists wouldn't realise that the flashing red light was a turn signal & drive straight into you!!!

Certain UK MOT testers have been turning a blind eye to it for years (mine has been through 3  annual MOT tests with the reds)-but apparently they have been told to tighten up on it -under threat of being 'struck off'-so I reckon there must have been some kind of issue

Even if I could find a friendly tester- in the event of an accident- my vehicle would be deemed unroadworthy- so it would affect any claim..& of course there is a risk of falling foul of an over zealous local 'plod'

So I'm afraid I'm stuck with some kind of conversion-looks like its going to be a right pain to do though-I thought I could just wire the front indicators to the reverse lights & change to amber bulbs-and leave the red turn signals in place- alas that is also not allowed....happy days!

Mike
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Post by busman78 Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:39 am

There are several other UK Dodge van owners on this site, pm them with what they have done.

Post by 69 Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:45 am

Well, German TÜV (bi-annual inspection as well as first approval for getting the car on the road) are putting a hard time on classic car owners as well. Obviously, some of the tester used to be a bit too sloppy in the past... Made some of the upper official nervous about their license to such things for the state.... they make test-tests of the testers. In turn, the testers know about that and tend not to let go with small issues....
    Re taillights - red turn signal is allowed until end of '69 (phew...), but emissions test starts mid 69... I hope to get my 68 build 69 model recognized as a 68 (as they always use july 1st as the relevant "first date on road" if you cannot proof the exact date).

Back to topic. I took a closer look at the wiring diagram (page specifications-5).

You need to disconnect the wire coming from the stop light switch to the turn signal switch S17-16-WH, there should be a connector behind the instrument cluster. Further, disconnect two of the four pin connector holding D14-18YE, D15-18DG, L10-18BN, F13-18LB on the one side. Disconnect only D15-18DG and D14-18YE (red in my pic).
    Of these (left side, towards turn signal switch), D14-18YE is the wire you need to extend to the left rear (new) turn signal, D15-18DG you need to extend to the right rear (new) turn signal. The two Orange and green wires in my pic.

S17-16-WH you connect to the other side of the connector (going to the red rear stop lights, both D14-18YE and D15-18DG). That's the blue on in my pic.

Hope that was understandable? I'm not that good in painting... Smile I know, it's naive art  geek

Stop/Tail/Turn Signal Help -Please Turnsignal
    DueNorth
    DueNorth

Post by DueNorth Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:52 am

69 wrote:Well, German TÜV (bi-annual inspection as well as first approval for getting the car on the road) are putting a hard time on classic car owners as well. Obviously, some of the tester used to be a bit too sloppy in the past... Made some of the upper official nervous about their license to such things for the state.... they make test-tests of the testers. In turn, the testers know about that and tend not to let go with small issues....
    Re taillights - red turn signal is allowed until end of '69 (phew...), but emissions test starts mid 69... I hope to get my 68 build 69 model recognized as a 68 (as they always use july 1st as the relevant "first date on road" if you cannot proof the exact date).

Back to topic. I took a closer look at the wiring diagram (page specifications-5).

You need to disconnect the wire coming from the stop light switch to the turn signal switch S17-16-WH, there should be a connector behind the instrument cluster. Further, disconnect two of the four pin connector holding D14-18YE, D15-18DG, L10-18BN, F13-18LB on the one side. Disconnect only D15-18DG and D14-18YE (red in my pic).
    Of these (left side, towards turn signal switch), D14-18YE is the wire you need to extend to the left rear (new) turn signal, D15-18DG you need to extend to the right rear (new) turn signal. The two Orange and green wires in my pic.

S17-16-WH you connect to the other side of the connector (going to the red rear stop lights, both D14-18YE and D15-18DG). That's the blue on in my pic.

Hope that was understandable? I'm not that good in painting... Smile I know, it's naive art  geek

Stop/Tail/Turn Signal Help -Please Turnsignal

I have heard the TUV is very tough- so good luck on the '68/'69 battle!

In the Uk they are also apparently putting 'rigged cars' with known issues through centres to try to catch them out-then monitoring the tests online

Thanks for taking the time to explain the wiring-it is much appreciated- Your explanation is very clear & very useful- now I hope I can locate the connectors in my 'birds nest' of botched wiring under the dash!!!!! Shocked

Mike

Post by 69 Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:01 am

Don't try from under the dash - remove the instrument cluster. It's just 4 screws and the speedometer shaft. Extremely easy and much better access to all wires.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm