VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Motor Mount - Throttle linkage issue 65 G

65-G10-guy
    65-G10-guy

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2012-11-16

Motor Mount - Throttle linkage issue  65 G Empty Motor Mount - Throttle linkage issue 65 G

Post by 65-G10-guy Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:58 pm

Hi Everyone, just wondered if anyone has had the same issue and what they found.  My 65 G will sometimes buck at low speeds. If I drive it with the lid open I can see the motor moving back and forth longitudinally in the housing when it goes from acceleration to compression.  It's a 292 manual trans.  Mounts are all stock safety type and new.  The motor does not torque side to side but does move back and forth maybe a quarter inch.  This in effect lengthens and shortens the throttle linkage. I know I could change to a throttle cable but is this just ignoring another problem. The trans mount strap is fabricated but I don't know if that would affect fore and aft torque.  Anyone had a similar experience?  Thanks Jerry
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Motor Mount - Throttle linkage issue  65 G Empty Re: Motor Mount - Throttle linkage issue 65 G

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:24 am

Well,,,,the van aint made for a 292,,,,,,and what kind of strap is on the transmission and what kind is it, a REAL trans gets locked in a crossmember hanging from the floor to keep the engine from moving forward,,,,,,,,,so whats been modified to make everything fit,,,,,,,,got any pictures,,,,,that engine kinda pushes against the driveshaft to get things moving, it, and the transmission have to be bolted to rubber mounts that have to be bolted to the van frame,,,,,,,,,
    65-G10-guy
    65-G10-guy

Motor Mount - Throttle linkage issue  65 G Empty Re: Motor Mount - Throttle linkage issue 65 G

Post by 65-G10-guy Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:19 am

Left motor mount is stock, right one is a stock mount with an extension plate welded to the frame  to put it in the right place. Here's a pic of the trans mount. I suppose because of its length it could have some flex. Do you think it needs additional bracing? Thanks Jerry  Motor Mount - Throttle linkage issue  65 G Vvf39110
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:20 pm

Have somebody try and take off in 1st gear with the parking brake on and wheels blocked while you are seeing what that trans is doing when they slowly let up on the clutch and give it a little gas,,,,,also see how that fake right motor mount is acting,,,,,that engine wants to move forward when you take off,,,,,you dont want it putting the fan through the radiator or spitting out driveshaft from the trans,,,,,,,run this test,,,see what you get,,,,,,,,,
    65-G10-guy
    65-G10-guy

Post by 65-G10-guy Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:00 pm

I'll give that a try. Thanks
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:38 pm

So Jer,,,,,,,,whatever happened after,,,,,Anaheim/Trains and Blue SportVan?

Motor Mount - Throttle linkage issue  65 G Rich10
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:24 am

On that trans hanger, if the bolts are just passing through the sheet metal frame it may and probably will be a problem. Best when doing this is to put a bushing for the bolts to pass through that is welded to the frame flush on both ends. I see that might be a trick where they have them passing through inside of the X member. One or 2 diagonals from near the trans mount out and up to the frame should help with any fore and aft movement. Another option is to build a new trans X out of more rigid material and saddle the frame more to get bolts that run lengthways instead of vertical. Tidy looking set up though.
    65-G10-guy
    65-G10-guy

Post by 65-G10-guy Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:45 pm

Thanks Digz, I still have to do some more investigation. I liked Doni's idea of having someone load up the torque while I watch from the side. I suspect that the support may be flexing a bit and if that is the case I was thinking a couple diagonals like you suggested. It may be a bit before I get to it. Thanks for the input. I'll post the findings. J
    65-G10-guy
    65-G10-guy

Post by 65-G10-guy Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:14 pm

Hey Doni, That blue van sure was pretty.  I sold ol' Blue to Gary,  a really nice guy down Garden Grove way.  He was involved in car shows and wanted something to haul stuff in. I believe he is a member here but I don't remember his sign in.  I sold my business and retired to NC.  My yellow panel and my 65 Plymouth are here in the garage and always calling out for attention. I need to spend a few days getting things fixed up.  Be well and Thanks for all the help, JerryMotor Mount - Throttle linkage issue  65 G <a href=Motor Mount - Throttle linkage issue  65 G Vvgb10" />
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:17 pm

People also sometime  use a 3rd Gen or universal type crossmember,,,,,

Motor Mount - Throttle linkage issue  65 G 700r4_10

Motor Mount - Throttle linkage issue  65 G 700r4_11
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 741
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:32 am

65-G10-guy wrote:  Motor Mount - Throttle linkage issue  65 G Vvf39110

Okay, that trans crossmember is scary looking! Flat material is not gonna arrest any urge the engine/trans has to roll side to side. That deal is basically a stressed strap that only holds stuff up by pulling the frame rails toward each other rather than hanging from them vertically....Pulling on the bolts is a very real issue here! (and not only because they are depending on clamping a hollow tube frame rail).
    The measure of proper structure (to me) would be if you can load the middle of a crossmember with the weight of the engine/trans while the ends are sitting supported on blocks.....
    As to linkages: I'd convert at least the last section to cable for the simple reason that linkages are rigid and bridge to a rubber mounted engine that rocks side-to-side....When GM switched to throttle cables on cars and trucks (68-72 era) they stopped getting "stuck throttle" complaints....
    65-G10-guy
    65-G10-guy

Post by 65-G10-guy Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:40 pm

Thanks for the input. Looks like we need to beef up a bit. I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 pm