VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
dougtappan
DrStover
6 posters

SECOND GEN POWER STEERING CONVERSION

DrStover
    DrStover

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2016-10-10

SECOND GEN POWER STEERING CONVERSION  Empty SECOND GEN POWER STEERING CONVERSION

Post by DrStover Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:23 pm

Is there a kit that can convert my second gen to power steering?
    dougtappan
    dougtappan

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2014-08-19

SECOND GEN POWER STEERING CONVERSION  Empty Re: SECOND GEN POWER STEERING CONVERSION

Post by dougtappan Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:04 am

I think not.....But why?
    DrStover
    DrStover

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2016-10-10

SECOND GEN POWER STEERING CONVERSION  Empty Re: SECOND GEN POWER STEERING CONVERSION

Post by DrStover Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:20 am

turning at slow speeds is really difficult
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:12 pm

Once upon a time, we put a Ford  power steering unit on my buddy Daves 69 Chevy,,,,,,Dodge vans have it,,,,,,,you need a ram cylinder, pump and a control unit hooked to the drag link to activate it,,,,,,

SECOND GEN POWER STEERING CONVERSION  Pictur10

SECOND GEN POWER STEERING CONVERSION  Pictur11

SECOND GEN POWER STEERING CONVERSION  Ford_p11

SECOND GEN POWER STEERING CONVERSION  Ford_p10
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:01 pm

this is on my list too, its been on "my list" several years now. I collected parts from '70's corvette, similar to the set up Donavan showed. before installing, I decided to go with electric power steering from a Saturn vue. controller available on ebay. have been on the fence a few years deciding which to use. electric is by far easier and cheaper. only downfall is the unit would have to fit under column bracket at/near top of column. most do not consider that an issue, but I just don't want to add anything else in that area. several have done this mod and are pleased with it.
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 741
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:44 pm

Every old mustang I've ever worked on that had that system LEAKED!....If the stock 17" steering wheel doesn't make the needed effort easy enough, how about putting a custom big-rig  steering wheel on it? They are available in 18-20 inch sizes and a Chevy hub and horn button kit are available.... Here's a link:   http://www.steeringcreations.com/economy-3-hole-1/
    Here it is on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Spoke-18-Classic-Steering-Wheel-3-Hole-for-Freightliner-Peterbilt-KW-more-/281990014842?hash=item41a7ea277a:g:pykAAOSwGYVXAA0U&vxp=mtr
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 pm

So what about LEAKS,,,,,,where,,,,pump, cylinder, hose, control unit?  surely there are parts available for a Mustang,,,,,,I still think it is a good economical choice that uses the stock gearbox,,,and all you do is modify the Drag link,,,,,,we are here to give people useful information and let them choose whats right for them,,,,,and steering wheels????   do they have the correct cancelling cams for our turn signal switches and the correct preload for our steering column bearing????
    dougtappan
    dougtappan

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2014-08-19

Post by dougtappan Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:36 pm

I don't know man, with my new king pins my van steers wicked easy
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:47 pm

I built that system up on my 65  which has been a daily driver since 2006 still works right and never any leaks. I used the chevy pump cuz it fits on the engine easy, you just have to lighten the presure rellief spring under the large outlet line nut on back of pump. I used 69 cougar PS parts because there all the same.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f97/13/10/37/95/dscn1710.jpg

you can search it on this site. I don't know where all the pictures are but I do remamnber a long thread on the subject.

m1D
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 741
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:04 pm

Unsure about cancelling cams and such.....I always had 12" steering wheels in the seventies and never considered my van hard to steer. I never owned a Ford with that power steering because every one I ever saw back then leaked so badly that it was impossible to determine from where and most of those owners accepted the leaking...... I'm not trying to be unhelpful, but there are reasons I wouldn't do things a certain way and knowing the negatives can lead to a more informed decision....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:03 pm