VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
donivan65
Dan Scully
flyintiger
7 posters

Removing steering arm from steering box?

flyintiger
    flyintiger

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2016-08-22

steering box removal - Removing steering arm from steering box? Empty Removing steering arm from steering box?

Post by flyintiger Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:44 am

Morning everyone,

I am about to remove my steering gear box ('67 A100, 225 w/ manual) and was wondering what kind of puller (if any) you used to remove the steering arm from the steering gear box. I need to order a puller, don't have any in my toolbox, and want to make sure I get something that fits (and works) in that tight space.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

steering box removal - Removing steering arm from steering box? Empty Re: Removing steering arm from steering box?

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:19 am

You are aware that the column shaft is connected to the box and is one piece, don't you? It's a bigger job then you think.
    flyintiger
    flyintiger

steering box removal - Removing steering arm from steering box? Empty Re: Removing steering arm from steering box?

Post by flyintiger Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:39 am

Yup, very aware. Still needs to be done, there is a lot of slop in the box and it has reached the limit of adjustment. Want to make sure I source a puller that will fit over the arm and be fully operational.
    Dan Scully
    Dan Scully

Number of posts : 254
    Registration date : 2016-07-30

Post by Dan Scully Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:18 am

flyintiger wrote:Morning everyone,

I am about to remove my steering gear box ('67 A100, 225 w/ manual) and was wondering what kind of puller (if any) you used to remove the steering arm from the steering gear box. I need to order a puller, don't have any in my toolbox, and want to make sure I get something that fits (and works) in that tight space.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

If you only need it one time ,all the major parts stores rent tools.Cheaper than buying if you only need it once.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:21 am

I got pitman arm, ball joint, and pickle fork pullers,,,,,,,

steering box removal - Removing steering arm from steering box? Dscn9211
    flyintiger
    flyintiger

Post by flyintiger Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:37 pm

Thanks for the pics and info. I always forget about renting tools from auto parts stores. Hopefully I'll have time to pull the box in the next couple of weeks!
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Post by busman78 Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:52 pm

These two are Pitman arm pullers, the one on the left is OTC the right is KD, both are steel, the OTC being the high end (expense). I have had Pitman arms just slide right off and some that when the tool is cranked down you need to walk away for a couple hours till nature takes its course.
    steering box removal - Removing steering arm from steering box? Img_1510
    docmcg
    docmcg

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by docmcg Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:49 pm

Pulling the steering gear box and column is not all that difficult. Put the front end of the truck high up on stands and the whole thing should drop out from the bottom. Be advised though, parts for these gear boxes are scarce and very hard to find. I sent mine into a place called Steer & Gear. They did a great job, but alas, it's not cheap! As far as getting the steering arm off, rent the right tool and it will go fine. Good luck, Doc.
    lws67
    lws67

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2012-06-20

Post by lws67 Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:44 pm

docmcg wrote:Pulling the steering gear box and column is not all that difficult. Put the front end of the truck high up on stands and the whole thing should drop out from the bottom. Be advised though, parts for these gear boxes are scarce and very hard to find. I sent mine into a place called Steer & Gear. They did a great job, but alas, it's not cheap! As far as getting the steering arm off, rent the right tool and it will go fine. Good luck, Doc.
    How much they charge? And how long did it take to get it back?
    docmcg
    docmcg

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by docmcg Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:50 pm

It's been a while since I had it done, but I believe with parts and shipping , it came to about $525. Yeah thats a lot, but parts are scarce and these gear boxes are specific to these vehicles, and spare gear boxes are just not around the corner. Carmen, the fellow I dealt with said the hardest (almost impossible) parts to find are the bearings. They are in plastic races and no one supplies them anymore.
    lws67
    lws67

Post by lws67 Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:09 pm

Doc, thanks for that. I'm in the process of a major drivetrain and suspension overhaul and the box is coming out for either a rebuild or replacement. I was aware of Steer & Gear awhile back but forgot the name. Only alternative was some outfit on eBay wanting over $700 for a rebuilt on/send them core, but am skeptical. I'll be calling S &G Monday, thanks for the post
    flyintiger
    flyintiger

Post by flyintiger Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:48 am

That was an easy job! Just used the pitman arm puller and a little bit of heat. Everything broke loose with a little bit of elbow grease and then the column just lifted out.

Dropped the box off at a place here in San Diego to get rebuilt. I'll keep you guys posted about my quote details when I get them.
    lws67
    lws67

Post by lws67 Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:08 am

I notice many mention dropping the assembly from below, having to jack the van up high enough to get it out, yet the manual states pulling it through the interior. Why not do it that way, just wondering.
    flyintiger
    flyintiger

Post by flyintiger Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:49 am

IWS67, I removed the assembly per the manual. Once you unbolt the steering arm, the whole column/box assembly can be removed through the access panel in the floorboard.
    flyintiger
    flyintiger

Post by flyintiger Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:27 pm

AES in San Diego did an awesome job on my steering box. Total rebuild price was $260 ($280 with tax). Just reinstalled and test drove, definitely pleased with the rebuild quality. Turnaround was a little over a week.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:16 pm

Congrats, glad it worked out so good for you and at a very reasonable price!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:42 pm