VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Seth G
vanny
NorCalBrian
7 posters

Is it worth it ?

NorCalBrian

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2016-09-30

Is it worth it ?  Empty Is it worth it ?

Post by NorCalBrian Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:36 pm

Hello V V community. I'm a new member but wanted ideas/thoughts on some pics of a local van I found. First I wanted to say, while not the exact year I had hoped to locate (1967 DCW) it's pretty close at '65. All the other things I hoped for are there (240, auto, windows all around, benches) but it has some body issues (don't they all). He says it's all original and complete, just may be removed but he still has. Take a look at the pics and tell me what you all think.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Is it worth it ?  Empty Re: Is it worth it ?

Post by vanny Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:46 pm

What pics? Let me know if you need help posting them...and welcome to Vintage Vans, Brian!!!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    NorCalBrian

Post by NorCalBrian Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:50 pm

Is it worth it ?  Image16
    Is it worth it ?  Image18
    Is it worth it ?  Image110
    Is it worth it ?  Image20
    Is it worth it ?  Image210
    Is it worth it ?  Image111
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Typical rust through areas which can be cut out and patched...how does the underside of the van look? Frame solid? How about the drip rails along the roofline?

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    NorCalBrian

Post by NorCalBrian Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:12 pm

I'm going to head over again this week an get more pics, all I got. He's driving it daily. The exterior side trim is all there. Inside panels complete, he has an original bench. Drip rails at the top of roof look good. Corner of side door looks like a tiny bubble forming. Any other body areas that might be a deal breaker if it was something you personally were looking at? Again, I know everyone's idea of 'bad' is different, I just didn't like on the side where door opens step. Looked kind of crunchy behind passenger seat. My old E panel '67 didn't have the step so maybe part of that hole is supposed to be there ?
    NorCalBrian

Post by NorCalBrian Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:30 pm

The underside and frame look straight and solid. I was most worried about the passenger side behind the seat, I guess where the door step control goes?
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:47 pm

That's alot of floor rot. The first pic or two up front are typical I think, but it looks like from the other pics, the floor is pretty much a rust cake from end to end? I'm wondering the same thing as Vanny, how's the roof above and around the windshield and the drip rails/gutters around the top? And when you say "worth it", what is the price and how much time, energy and/or money do you have?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:25 am

,,,,and just how good would you plan on making it?
    QCT
    QCT

Number of posts : 559
    Registration date : 2015-01-01

Post by QCT Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:58 pm

Depends on the price and what exactly you want to do with it. An automatic, DCW with the 240ci.. May be tough to find another any time soon. Body itself looks ok just from the pics you posted. If you don't mind fixing the floor issues and the price is right go for it! I recently got at 65 DCW and uncovered rot under the front floor once I pulled up the mat. Also has some rot in the lower body which I will repair. Check out my pics under the members showcase. Keep us posted and if you could post some pics of the exterior that'd be helpful too.
    NorCalBrian

Post by NorCalBrian Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:00 pm

Thanks for all the input, it's greatly appreciated. Yes 'worth it' meaning in spite of the obvious floor rot in those four spots. Of course, the purchase price/fix price has to come in under personal budget. It looks like it could cost several thousands just to repair those holes. The rest of the body and floor look pretty solid and except for some spotty surface rust, overall good to very good condition. I tried to show the worst, only to put in perspective. As for long term, eventually I'd love to restore to original, and keep her going another 50 years.
    Does anyone have any pics of the side door step mechanism before it's finished? Some of that hole looks factory.
    NorCalBrian

Post by NorCalBrian Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:13 pm

Is it worth it ?  Image211[/url[url=https://servimg.com/view/17938138/553]Is it worth it ?  Image212

Got a few better pics with regular camera (post those later) but here's a few. Any VIN decoders out there?

Had to turn them right-side up, I was getting a sore neck...Vanny!
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Looks pretty dang clean to me! Not knowing the sellers asking price it's kinda tough to give you a definite answer. But for the right price I'd go for it!
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:08 pm

NorCalBrian

Post by NorCalBrian Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:00 pm

Is it worth it ?  Img_1910
    Front looking pretty straight and complete, no damage
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1911
    Drivers side roof line. Looks dented, but just reflection. All drip channels ok
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1912
    Surface spot under windshield, all doors open an close smooth
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1913
    Original AM radio present but needs rebuilding. Are those 4 drill holes for a speaker?
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1914
    Rear windows open and lock well. Interior panels all present but missing headliner.
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1915
    Looking forward.
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1916
    Rear passenger channel looking forward.
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1918
    Passenger side
    Is it worth it ?  Img_2012
    Passenger corner
    Is it worth it ?  Img_2013
    Overall, for 51 years unrestored, outside in good condition.

Thank you Vanny, great VIN breakdown !! I posted those yesterday from an iPhone so couldn't rotate in paint. These look right side up, apologize just not super clear quality. It appears original as I was hoping. Asking $5000. an he's throwing in a 300ci engine because he wanted to swap out and upgrade. (Glad the orig. 240 is in there running well). Original AM radio and speedometer not working, but idiot lights and gas gauge ok. Doors look good, inside and out, no speaker holes cut out, just a bit of surface rust. Orig. bench seat, oil bath air cleaner, hub caps, and all side panels with ash trays included. Side step rotted, but present with mechanism.
    I include a few more photos, just disappointed they came out a bit blurry Rolling Eyes  Must have been the camera settings.

Last edited by NorCalBrian on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : repetitive captions under pics)
    NorCalBrian

Post by NorCalBrian Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:59 pm

The not so good, the bad and the ugly.
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1919
    Drivers side floor
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1920
    The outside looks pretty good though, yeah?
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1921
    Dripping as I was snapping pics.
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1922
    Passenger rear floor.
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1923
    Drivers side rear floor
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1924
    Rest of floor pretty good
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1925
    Well, you get the idea now.
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1926
    I suppose here is where I'm hoping for moral support saying, 'I've seen worse'.
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1927
    This must have seen snow before heading west  
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1928
    Behind drivers seat
    Is it worth it ?  Img_1929
    Behind passenger seat
    Is it worth it ?  Img_2014
    "Rainy night in Georgia"
    Is it worth it ?  Img_2015
    Passenger floor.
    Is it worth it ?  Img_2016
    Yes, front floor is pretty roached. Replacement pan candidate?
    Is it worth it ?  Img_2017
    I'm going to put it up on a lift an get more underneath shots. So yeah, is it worth it?

You guys have driven, restored, and repaired these. You know the time, money and dedication involved. It's my hope to slowly restore it to original, as it has all the options I was looking for. 240 auto. windows 90" wb etc. I want to eventually do some road tripping in her (Alaska, Canada, Pacific NW.)
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:44 pm

You pull the trigger on the DCW?
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:16 pm

What's the price? Everything is relative
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:25 pm

Think he said the guy was asking $5k..
    Wolfster
    Wolfster

Number of posts : 140
    Registration date : 2016-08-27

Post by Wolfster Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:52 am

Take it from a guy who has been building and flipping hot rods for more years than I can remember; do not put any emotions into your decision. If you have the time, skills, equipment and place to do the work yourself, you can save major bucks on any project. You just have to ask yourself if this is something you're willing to invest in and are your plans to keep or sell it?

Mine have always been a hobby. It keeps me occupied in my retirement. I never put my labor into the "worth factor" for that reason. Everything that you've posted in the pics is repairable and can be done correctly, if you have the skills to do so. It looks to be an "honest" vehicle.

What's even more interesting is when you run into the hack repairs. Used to pi55 me off, now I just chuckle about them. Some are quite ingenious...still hacked but ingenious.

A couple of examples on my 64. They relocated the radiator mount supports. Not a bad job, but mounted the radiator on with six half inch small sheet metal screws. The motor mount crossmember had a section cut out of the middle. Guess it was easier for installing the oil pan. .ol Bondo all over the place without pulling and repairing the dents. Luckily only one rust hole. Notched out a 1/4" section of the floor so the alternator would fit. Totally unnecessary if they would have adjusted the bracket and got the right size belt. And I'm sure I'll find more.

Give me an honest and original starting point anyday.
    Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:53 am

"I've seen worse!"

The Van looks really nice to me, The important parts to check would be where the suspension and engine/tranny mounts, steering etc. meet the frame, a lot of rust in those areas could be very hard to fix and keep the Van safe to drive.
    Most of the rust I see is in the interior in places that can be covered up easily with some carpet etc. after cutting out the rust and welding in some sheet metal.
    Personally I build them to drive, I would just use sheet metal.
    If your going for a correct restoration then you need the proper replacement pieces which involves more time and money.
    Patch the holes to keep the elements out and drive it. You can use a caulking gun and sealer, then clean and weld a section at a time.
    I'd start with that windshield area and new seal.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:38 pm

@ 5K I'd say keep looking. I listed a van the other day in the for sale section, very similar to this one that was in BC, it was $5700 USD and twice the van this one is. That is a $2500 van tops, if it's auto and 65 or later it just makes it to $2500 in it's current state. jmo

You will sink endless amounts of time, energy and money into this project either way. If it wears you out before you get to enjoy it, what's the point?

I paid $700 for my van, it's pretty much mostly rust free, but has been around the block. Has poor wreck repair and I'm in it for at least $3500 and haven't even touched the body yet. Just getting a 50 year old vehicle to a point where you trust the drive line is a fair bit of work. Running and driving don't mean a thing. When I took the wheels off of mine to put it up on jacks and go through it after driving it for 6 months, the front driver's side tire popped and deflated as it hit the garage floor as it was pushed over when pulled off. It still put's my hair up to think about it....

I knew they were shot but g'damn. Expect replacing every line, every bearing, rebuilding or replacing the springs and the glides, the bushings, the steering, u-joints, ball joints, brakes, electrics and sending units, engine?, ect. And that's where you start
    NorCalBrian

Post by NorCalBrian Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:27 pm

[quote="Wolfster"]Take it from a guy who has been building and flipping hot rods for more years than I can remember; do not put any emotions into your decision.  If you have the time, skills, equipment and place to do the work yourself, you can save major bucks on any project.  You just have to ask yourself if this is something you're willing to invest in and are your plans to keep or sell it?

Wolf Thank you so much to respond. I appreciate every response, and I do 'take it from you guys'. You've all been where I'm at, and each bring valid points to my decision. Cosmetically from the outside it looks good. Also, I knew not to let emotion creep in, but I feel in spite of knowing better, I'm allowing that to happen a bit here. I like the automatic as my girl could drive it as well, and I'm fortunate to have her on board this project. Long term this would be something I'd be hanging on to, slowly putting a few miles on, while driving and restoring as I go. Maybe spend a night or two in the back in between work shifts. I like what you ended with "Give me an honest an original any day" Agree, an this is fairly original.

Russell, thank you also to point out those trouble spots that are most important to check. I would put this up on a lift for a "brake check", and inspect those areas you mentioned further before a final purchase. It was raining the day I was there, and I couldn't see where the tranny mounts without laying in a puddle. No question those would be looked at closer before any $ exchange. (Notice no underneath pics?)  

Seth, Yep I saw that beauty from BC you posted, and I also agree its a way better deal. Like not even in the same ballpark. Wow, yours was $700. and mostly rust free. That's certainly encouraging, and great advice. I guess I've just been out of vehicles and prices for awhile an not sure what the older stuff is going for. Back in 1992 I bought my '67 E100 for $500. and it was in good shape. Not restored nor crunchy, just a 25 year old van. I don't think this one would 'wear me out before I get to enjoy it' as I hope to drive it a bit as Russ described. Wow That's quite a story with the tire !! Lucky it gave out when it did. Darn.

You've all given me a LOT to think about for sure. I'll keep you posted, and again, thank you so much for the input. Always appreciated.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:31 am