VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+32
Space Truckin
gfleduc
dutchman101
sweetvan
retrogeek
SteelyVan
OutofSight
divisionbrewing
66BC
GMman
whalemstr
uncle ron
richie61
busman78
kaz
BILLS66
jrdunn96
Zuffen
Seth G
Denton
Rick's 66 Chevy Van
savage
samsvan
Russell
Vantasia
VANagain
vanny
JackeFriend
uante
Digz
Big W
donivan65
36 posters

GMC Jacke's van

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 939
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

GMC Jacke's van - Page 16 Empty Re: GMC Jacke's van

Post by JackeFriend Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:03 am

Vantasia wrote:
    JackeFriend wrote:Worked several hours yesterday, dripping in sweat. Floor insulated, 3/4" wood cut and in place with a few set screws... too tired to finish last night at 8 PM.
    Had a difficult time fitting the rear portion of plywood around the gas filler etc in the back corner. But with many attempts, it was fit to my satisfaction, which seemed to be easier to attain as the time grew later?? LOL Good enough for "government" work as they say... not building a house! I used #10 SS 1-1/2" screws. Very secure even with just the 10 set screws in place. I will do the walls next then finish the ceiling insulation. This is a lot of work!

Did you put a layer of insulation under the plywood?  A layer of thin bubble foil wrap (Lowes, HD) really helps with road noise and heat/cold in addition to the wood.   Cheap  
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reach-Barrier-4-ft-x-25-ft-Air-Double-Reflective-Polyethylene-Insulation-Roll-DD48025/204476656?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D22-Insulation%7c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0o32u_i91QIVyFcNCh2rqQ_dEAYYBSABEgKMgPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COnPr8P4vdUCFci4swodaDsCLw
    Yes, I had lizard Skin SC shot throughout the rear ceiling walls, floors. I bought the Quiet Ride pre cut insulation kit for our vans. It comes pre cut with the noise dampener pieces and the glue + the insulation and aluminum tape. It made it much easier than cutting and trimming. So then I finished the floor insulation and laid down 3/4" #1 plywood over the whole floor. Cut into three pieces, front, middle and rear.
    Used #10 ss 1-1/2" screws to secure the wood down tight. I just did 10 screws last night around perimeter, as I was beat from the drilling through wood into floor and cutting of the plywood. I do not have a shop... used my jig saw, cutting over a pallet on the gravel. I do not like using the skill saw. It scares me, because I have never worked with it much. I like my thumbs etc. So slow and stead with my skill saw. Yes, I broke a few blades Smile but I still have my fingers. Razz
    Going to rest up and have some fun this weekend... next the walls and ceiling install coming in a couple weeks.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:13 pm

Just keep picking at it Jacke, you're in the Final stretch...for now anyway! LOL Please be careful with the power tools, my father lost a couple of fingers in a table saw accident a couple of years ago and I had to go downstairs and find them in the sawdust. Not a fun day for either one of us...

Can't wait to see it all done...Good Work!!! Very Happy cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:14 pm

Rested up, had a bunch of fun out of town... humidity is down! YES, I must start working on the Van!
    No more cutting for now, just securing the wood floor the rest of the way down. Then I will complete the wall and ceiling insulation install... then I will again be using a saw to cut the walls etc.
    Hmmm 1234... just checking, I do still have all four fingers on each hand, plus my thumbs! I will do a recount once the cutting is all finished!! Not the best a using a skill saw, but the jig saw is my friend.
    I think I will not need to use the skill saw!
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:41 am

Worked on the insulation yesterday after work. Not so humid but I guess physical labor is not the norm for me anymore... dripping sweat off the nose, gross! I finished most of the walls and did wheel wells.
    Tonight I will be tape the edges. I will post pictures of the process once completed.
    Next up the front cowl area.
    I have been pleased with the Quiet Ride Kit although pricey... save time which is a commodity that is overlooked when doing these projects.
    Hours of time COUNT when pricing the job you may be attempting. Materials are only 1/2 of the equation.... your brain work and back work do cost us each in many ways, other than money.
    I am not as young as most, or as old as some who are working these old vans into creations.
    But, I am learning that a dollar spent on a good materials is a well spent buck!
    66BC
    66BC

Number of posts : 159
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

Post by 66BC Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:01 am

Your van is looking great Jacke!!! I haven't been on here in a while and see you have your van back with the new paint job! What a surprise! Yes, I thought it was going to be yellow. It looks great! Can't wait to see more progress...and pictures.  Keep it up!

Jose 66BeachCruiser
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:41 pm

GMC Jacke's van - Page 16 Insula10
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 16 Insula11

So got the floor insulation down and the plywood installed. All the walls in, started on side doors. Progress pictures...
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:08 pm

Looks Great, Jacke!!! Are those pieces on the roof strategically placed?

Looks like it's going to be nice and quiet compared to what it used to be! What a Face cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:46 pm

vanny wrote:Looks Great, Jacke!!! Are those pieces on the roof strategically placed?

Looks like it's going to be nice and quiet compared to what it used to be! What a Face cheers

Yes, the vibration strips are placed on each side of the grooves, I had not finished all the strip placement when I took the photo.
    The kit came with specific size strips for the ceiling, doors, corners etc. so just follow the guide, pretty easy to do.
    Smile I will say it is not easy to trim the insulation, very strong. Glad it was pre cut, my fingers would be raw if I had to cut each piece to fit!
    I plan on finishing the ceiling and back doors insulation install tomorrow. Must start earlier as it is getting warm here by 11 am.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:04 pm

GMC Jacke's van - Page 16 Ceilin13
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 16 Ceilin10
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 16 Ceilin11
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 16 Ceilin12
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 16 Ceilg_10

Finished stage 1 of the interior insulation install. Just need to finish taping the seams.
    It went pretty fast after I got glue in my hair! Once that happens you just have nothing to loose! Laughing
    Now that's done, I can start the design and fun of making the interior. I will keep on working until I get the darn van pretty inside as it is outside.
    I used my little air cooler while I was inside he box... brought down the temp inside about 10 degree's... I just used a small bag of ice to see what it would do. If I filled it and put some dry ice it would be really cold. Too the inside temp from 89 down to 79 in about 5 minutes.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:40 pm

cheers Great to hear your cooler is working for you. Can't wait to see what you do with the interior! Thanks for all the progress pics!Very Happy

Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:47 am

Wow, I did just about the same prior to paneling! Wasn't the roof fun working upside down?  For the wheel well cut outs on the side panels use a flexible ruler (Lowes. etc.) or anything metal that you can bend around the top of well that stays in place to make a template to trace onto the paneling.  Leave it an inch or so low and then trim a little at a time to get a tight fit.  I also see both of your inside corner braces that protect the tail lights are cut out.  Mine were cut by a previous owner, just be mindful of cargo/paneling hitting the back of the bulb connectors, very easy to break them.  Are you going to put the spare back on the wall over the pass. side wheel well?  I put mine right over the paneling, looks cool, but I made a steel guard from a scrap bracket I had to protect the tire from spilling down and mashing the tail light connector behind the paneling.  Picture attached.  Some people make a compartment under a bed for the spare too or move it to behind the drivers seat.
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 16 Dsc03116
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 16 Dsc03117
    Just in case you didn't notice, the spare mounts to the wall into a threaded hole in the vertical rib, it uses a T-bolt to holt it in place.  If you van didn't come with, it can easily be made from a large bolt, I think its 3/8" thread and a welded handle or a repro tire trunk hold down they sell at big box auto stores....if you are going to use the factory mount, leave a small hole in your paneling that covers it! Hope this helps you out.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:59 am

[quote="Vantasia"]Wow, I did just about the same prior to paneling! Wasn't the roof fun working upside down?  For the wheel well cut outs on the side panels use a flexible ruler (Lowes. etc.) or anything metal that you can bend around the top of well that stays in place to make a template to trace onto the paneling.  Leave it an inch or so low and then trim a little at a time to get a tight fit.  I also see both of your inside corner braces that protect the tail lights are cut out.  Mine were cut by a previous owner, just be mindful of cargo/paneling hitting the back of the bulb connectors, very easy to break them.  Are you going to put the spare back on the wall over the pass. side wheel well?  I put mine right over the paneling, looks cool, but I made a steel guard from a scrap bracket I had to protect the tire from spilling down and mashing the tail light connector behind the paneling.  Picture attached.  Some people make a compartment under a bed for the spare too or move it to behind the drivers seat.

Oh, yes I glued my hair to the ceiling!! Backwards and upsidedown. However, being that I am 4'11-3/4" tall, I was only bending about 2 inches...LOL

Your van is nice and clean looking, inside and out. How do you keep it WHITE! LOL Razz

I am not going to put a spar tire inside... Thanks for the great advice, your looks good! bounce I will call AAA LOL! Too old to change tires on the roadside. affraid

I am going to install a complete interior for recreation and fun. I actually made a nice table for the back that I made myself, I am just getting going on installing the interior.

Just room behind the sofa for some wood for those bonfires on the beach! And of coarse the grilling of steaks over the open fire! I have all of the accessories I have been gathering for the fun to come.

I wish you were closer to the west, I would love to have you and that beautiful van for my first BBQ on the beach!

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:04 pm

GMC Jacke's van - Page 16 Cowl110
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 16 Cowl210

My next install is the cowl. I think this is very nice to finish off the front and give a little heat and sound dampening. I will see how it works once installed!
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:49 pm

Is that a Rich prototype? Looks nice, I hope it installs easy for you!

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:39 pm

vanny wrote:Is that a Rich prototype? Looks nice, I hope it installs easy for you!
    No, I have see his it looks very nice... I am not sure if it was produced in any quantity?
    This is one from Quiet Ride, same company I bought the interior insulation kit from...
    the other parts of the kit fit very well, I do hope this part does the same. I will post some pictures as soon as I get it in... I may just wait for Rich! He has designed one and installed it.
    I should be a lot cooler & quieter from front to rear! bounce
    kaz
    kaz

Number of posts : 114
    Registration date : 2012-07-28

Post by kaz Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:23 am

Hi Jackie wow you are really working hard it looks fantastic, when you're done hurry come to Arizona and visit me and see how cool all that keeps your van and the little homemade AC unit wow wish I could do everything you are doing, great job thanks for sharing everything you're doing.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:40 am

JackeFriend wrote:
    Vantasia wrote:Wow, I did just about the same prior to paneling! Wasn't the roof fun working upside down?  For the wheel well cut outs on the side panels use a flexible ruler (Lowes. etc.) or anything metal that you can bend around the top of well that stays in place to make a template to trace onto the paneling.  Leave it an inch or so low and then trim a little at a time to get a tight fit.  I also see both of your inside corner braces that protect the tail lights are cut out.  Mine were cut by a previous owner, just be mindful of cargo/paneling hitting the back of the bulb connectors, very easy to break them.  Are you going to put the spare back on the wall over the pass. side wheel well?  I put mine right over the paneling, looks cool, but I made a steel guard from a scrap bracket I had to protect the tire from spilling down and mashing the tail light connector behind the paneling.  Picture attached.  Some people make a compartment under a bed for the spare too or move it to behind the drivers seat.

Oh, yes I glued my hair to the ceiling!! Backwards and upsidedown. However, being that I am  4'11-3/4" tall, I was only bending about 2 inches...LOL

Your van is nice and clean looking, inside and out. How do you keep it WHITE! LOL Razz

I am not going to put a spar tire inside...  Thanks for the great advice, your looks good!  bounce I will call AAA LOL! Too old to change tires on the roadside.  affraid

I am going to install a complete interior for recreation and fun. I actually made a nice table for the back that I made myself, I am just getting going on installing the interior.

Just room behind the sofa for some wood for those bonfires on the beach! And of coarse the grilling of steaks over the open fire! I have all of the accessories I have been gathering for the fun to come.

I wish you were closer to the west, I would love to have you and that beautiful van for my first BBQ on the beach!

Yeah, I wish sometimes I was on the left coast too to take part in all the great van events out there...nothing much happens in the NE...just local car shows....my van gets very lonely....LOL
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:42 am

kaz wrote:Hi Jackie wow you are really working hard it looks fantastic, when you're done hurry come to Arizona and visit me and  see how cool all that keeps your van and the little homemade AC unit wow wish I could do everything you are doing, great job thanks for sharing everything you're doing.

I know although I have insulated as best I can... it and my little air cooler would not measure up in the AZ heat! I am doing all this just to manage the SD heat...LOL
    Compared to AZ heat that's like a cool afternoon in the sun! So I do hope to help with temps that could be 100, but I would never drive too far in that kind of heat! I actually have a burn scar on my right leg from driving the van without insulation under the doghouse. My 350 seems to warm up that metal box! I have added full insulation and also in the areas that are in the top of the doghouse lid, against my seats and at the corners, I lined with Titanium heat shield wrap. I did my exhaust manifold and had some extra so I glued it then put the insulation over it... 2" strip worked just fine. No more burns from hot metal. I like heavy metal not hot metal! Thanks for the incoragement, I am working on it each week as I can... sometimes I slow down due to life.
    But now I am on it again! Basketball
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Started the taping of the insulation... the aluminum tape does not adhere to the Lizard Skin sound coating. I did a panel and the tape lifted off the wall. I assume there must be a greasy residue perhaps that is not visible? I am gonna have to try to wipe down along the edges with alcohol before I apply the rest of the tapes or as am planning on adding an additional layer inside the walls because there is about two inches left to fill, I figure add some additional heat shield then glue that onto the middle & edges which will encompass the entire panel. Double stuff... like an oreo! Man I better be cooler after all of this insulation! Cool
    kaz
    kaz

Number of posts : 114
    Registration date : 2012-07-28

Post by kaz Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:55 pm

Wow just so proud of you that you do all that work by yourself that's amazing I'm jealous I can't way to see that big trophy first prize at a car show when you're done..
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:32 pm

kaz wrote:Wow just so proud of you that you do all that work by yourself that's amazing I'm  jealous I can't way to see that big trophy first prize at a car show when you're done..
    Well thanks very much. I used a stick as my helper on those ceiling pieces! But, the insulation was okay as I bought a pre cut kit. Which made all the difference in time spent. However, I found that I placed the two pads wrong, on the side doors... I was suppose to place them inside the doors, no guidance instructions? How to get a roller inside a door...lol. I will cut and place a couple inside the interior of the door. So now there are dampeners inside and out!

I will be doing the wood on walls this weekend... hopefully I will not have too many issues.
    I am not a carpenter. I will see how to measure twice, cut once. I usually measure 5 times cut three! LOL Smaller, smaller just right! You can always cut it down, but can't add to it once cut off. I hate cutting a piece just a 1/8th to short... then that's all I see the error.
    I was told to look at my accomplishments, not just see what I could have done better.
    That is easy, appreciating what you did do is harder, sometimes.

I started this van project, 1 year and 3 months ago. I have come a very very long way.
    I am almost 3/4 done now... Woo-hoo! Basketball cheers
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:03 pm

JackeFriend wrote:
    Finished stage 1 of the interior insulation install. Just need to finish taping the seams.
    It went pretty fast after I got glue in my hair! Once that happens you just have nothing to loose! Laughing

I always say the first step in any caulking job is to smear it all over your body Smile

It's looking great! And for the carpentry, if all else fails, maybe you can borrow Don's board stretcher Wink
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:15 pm

Well, now I know what to do first in all cases! Easy enough... I will be putting in the new door rubber all around. Note to self " apply, 3m black sealant all over myself, then apply to project!"
    Finally instructions I can do correctly... thanks Seth! Now about this board stretcher of Don's...
    lol!
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:37 am

I recommend a box of latex gloves for working with the 3M adhesive.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:53 am

I gotta get some gloves, I keep meaning to and then my little memory goes poof! Thanks for the reminder, I am going to get gloves. My hands were a mess when I did the pop out window rubbers.
    I was peeling off crap for days!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:31 am