BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

painting 1st gen sportvan front small grill area

ditdater

Number of posts : 590
Registration date : 2010-11-06

painting 1st gen sportvan front small grill area

Post by ditdater on Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:02 pm

as my friend is starting on my 1st gen sportvan paint job ,the front small grill area ,under windshield (NOT THE LOWER LARGER GRILL WHERE YOU CAN SEE BELLY PAN ) . we would like to get any help on best way to 1ST PREP the area BEHIND grill , then paint it . thanks for any help .
danny 502 432 3684
ditdater

bump

Post by ditdater on Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:30 pm

bump
Digz

Number of posts : 3727
Registration date : 2008-05-17

Re: painting 1st gen sportvan front small grill area

Post by Digz on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:34 pm

Really about all you can do is get the guns pattern to shoot between the grills in a limited fanning motion , probably turn the pressure down to. Might have to clean up the outer before exterior paint but at least it will be a limited amount of work. You could even mask off the grill to minimize it further.
ditdater

thanks

Post by ditdater on Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:07 pm

I think he is mainly concerned with getting it prepped to get the paint to stick
Digz

Post by Digz on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:40 pm

All I managed to do was tape sand paper to the end of a stick and knock off the rough edges. Sand blasting may not be a good course if the welting is still in place inside the inner and outer panels.
Russell

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell on Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:13 pm

"Welting" That's what you call that rubber stuff that's hanging down in my grille area. Thanks! Looks like a real problem to replace it if it's available?
ditdater

plugin middle ?

Post by ditdater on Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:18 pm

Digz wrote:
All I managed to do was tape sand paper to the end of a stick and knock off the rough edges. Sand blasting may not be a good course if the welting is still in place inside the inner and outer panels.
would anyone know what the plug in the center of the area behind grill
Digz

Post by Digz on Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:16 pm

Russell wrote:"Welting" That's what you call that rubber stuff that's hanging down in my grille area. Thanks! Looks like a real problem to replace it if it's available?

Mine kept falling down also. ended up just pulling it out. I think it really just separates the air box for the vent and heater from the grill air. Possibly helps with engine fumes..I don't know.
Vantasia

Number of posts : 1385
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia on Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:57 am

ditdater wrote:
Digz wrote:
would anyone know what the plug in the center of the area behind grill
Good question, mine is painted over, maybe to cover a bolt for something inside or to seal a handling hole during assembly that was needed for placing the firewall?
Digz

Post by Digz on Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:29 am

On mine the hose for the washer nozzle goes through it.And while I'm looking at it a lot of paint peel in there. LOL
ditdater

thanks for the replies

Post by ditdater on Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:51 am

thanks again ,danny
VANagain

Number of posts : 888
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:42 pm

I wonder if the body shop did any prep on that surface when they painted my van. It looks like it's holding up pretty well.

I've been wanting to paint it black in there. Same with the area behind the main grill. My belief is those areas should just "disappear." Especially behind the main grill, which is now a mix of whatever it was before and turquoise overspray. That area is easy to get to from underneath but yeah, how to reach in to prep and paint behind the little one? Especially without messing up the nice paint on the grill! I had asked the painter about painting the black first but then how do you mask that off when painting the rest of the van?

I figure I'll tape over the grill with that low-tack blue tape. Then try wrapping a small piece of that 3M scuff pad over the end of a wooden tongue depressor. Should be able to slip that in and swipe it up and down to scuff it up. Then do the same thing with a piece of rag and that wax and grease remover.

Then, to paint it! I think if I used spray paint I'd end up getting overspray on the outer paint. Maybe use the rag on a tongue depressor method as a paint brush.

Yes, that big hole in the center is for the rubber grommet the windshield washer hose passes through. I assume that was just plugged on vans without the washer option. There's also a little hole on the left where the plastic retainer that holds the kick panel pokes through.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:31 pm