VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+26
samsvan
retrogeek
SportVan
wirepuller
66BC
whalemstr
Vanish
NorCalBrian
donivan65
Marcosis
mnghost
jrdunn96
Vantasia
Seth G
Vannin Ken
savage
vanny
ditdater
richie61
JackeFriend
westcoastvanner
OutofSight
gary h
VANagain
uante
Russell
30 posters

Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe

Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Empty Re: Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe

Post by Russell Sat May 11, 2019 6:55 am

Yesterday while pulling into my driveway my sleeve caught the ear of what was left of my horn ring and broke it off.
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Horn_b10
    Although the ring was missing when I got the Van, I liked the ears coming off of the side. I cut off the other side and ground them down evenly. Looks OK.
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Horn_b11
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Horn_b12
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sat May 11, 2019 3:40 pm

I think it looks Great just the way it is now!!! That turned out beautifully! cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Sun May 12, 2019 6:53 am

Thanks Vanny, as much as I like the look of the Deluxe horn ring, I don't think I would want one on my Van. I'm sure the reason they are so hard to find is they get broken during use. They seem to take up a lot of room in the turning area of the wheel and are not built very strong.
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 S-l16011
    They do look nice though.
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan Mon May 13, 2019 10:36 am

Russell wrote:Yesterday while pulling into my driveway my sleeve caught the ear of what was left of my horn ring and broke it off.

Well I guess that explains why mine is now a one armed bandit. When I sold the van it had both ends like you first photo, the ring long gone. When I repurchased the van the passenger side was broken off. I liked being able to tap the ends with my thumb to honk the horn. I've been reluctant to cut off the other end but I think yours looks really clean now.
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Thu May 16, 2019 7:57 am

When I painted the Van I wanted to have the roof blasted, it is so big, was rusty in spots and everything needs to be done on a ladder so it didn't get done.
    Recent rain and morning dew have been showing more rust and when parked at certain times I could see the roof needed paint.
    Last weekend I started stripping it, I put a rust treatment paint on first then sealer, primer and painted it yesterday.
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Roof310
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Roof_110
    It took more time to tape off the Van than to paint it.
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Roof410
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Roof210
    It would have been easier to paint the roof when I painted the Van but doing it afterwards wasn't as overwhelming as doing everything at once.
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Rusty_10
    Before
    I'm glad I got it done.

Last edited by Russell on Thu May 16, 2019 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Thu May 16, 2019 12:08 pm

That looks amazing!!
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:18 am

I found some window rubber for the rear doors on Amazon, much cheaper than the Steele rubber one's. I was looking for something without the lock strip but these have the lock strip attached. I put one in yesterday with time and patience it was pretty easy and fits well.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NL48TFK/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Rubber10
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Rubber11
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Rubber12
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:37 pm

Nice work and thanks for sharing!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:25 am

Your corners came out nice. I might do away with the pop outs on my back doors so I might give this a try.
    kaz
    kaz

Number of posts : 114
    Registration date : 2012-07-28

Post by kaz Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:57 pm

trying to remove mine to get my steering wheel off and I barely touched it and my right arm on my horn ring broke off. ;-(
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:55 pm

I was driving home in the rain tonight and my Idiot light came on, I looked at my gauges for oil pressure and temp both were normal, a couple minutes later the temp was going up and kept climbing, I turned the engine off and coasted watching the temp climb, I had to re-start it to get off the freeway a short distance again coasting with the engine off. Broke a fan belt.

This is exactly why I bought 2 the first time I broke one. I had the new one on and out of there within 10 minutes. I barely got wet getting the belt and tools. (I love my van)
    The first time it took me an hour to walk to a parts store and buy a belt and wrench to replace it.
    Tomorrow I will probably buy 2 more. (just in case)
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:33 am

Is there a reason it's breaking belts? Is there something not quite aligned properly? Glad to hear you're prepared and didn't have to make the hike to find a parts store but I would be curious as to the cause of the break in the belt... Question

I've probablly said this before bur I love your paint scheme on your van! What a Face cheers

Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:35 am

The first one broke about a year ago, I think the main problem is the fan doesn't have a clutch and is creating a lot of drag, it's a 7 blade fan and it is noisy especially when revving the engine quickly. (wind noise) Last night I had the rear end sideways a couple of times playing in the rain. (I needed to see if my posi was working properly, Haha.)
    Autozone said there is a lifetime guarantee on their belts but it is laying on the freeway somewhere.
    It only has the 1 belt which turns the alternator and water pump, makes it easy to change.
    I was glad I could change it from inside since it was raining outside.
    I'm going to find out about a clutch fan for it today also.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:20 am

That’s good, glad you have a plan. Guess you don’t feel like playing Frogger on the freeway trying to pick up your fan belt...What’s the matter McFly? Are you chicken? Razz What a Face

sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:03 pm

Russell wrote:
    Autozone said there is a lifetime guarantee on their belts but it is laying on the freeway somewhere.

I bet they will give you a replacement anyway if you ask, you can probably have it mailed via online support chat. Or just mention it the next time you go in. Most retailers are very customer satisfaction focused.

Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:26 am

I know many of you think it's always sunny here in San Diego but we have our problems with rain and cold weather also.
    Today we have heavy fog along the coast, all of this moisture in the air runs off the roof and puddle's under the front, we also have the salt air which is not good for the metal.
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Dew10
    It's not snow and I feel for you guys who deal with that during the winter.
    I thought you guys should know it's not all rainbows and pixie dust here either.
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:23 pm

You call that a puddle??
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:43 pm

"Rust never sleeps"
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:23 am

I bought a clutch fan a couple months ago, my radiator was too close for it too fit so yesterday I made new brackets to make room. A little wider and facing the other way.
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Rad_br10
    My fan belt would slip on start up and high revving of the engine, I think the 7 blade fan I had on it before was creating too much drag.
    Before
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Rad_br11
    After
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Rad_br12
    The belt quit making noise and it is much quieter inside when the van is running, the fan created a lot of noise while driving before.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:30 am

Nice Work Russell! Is that an automatic fan on the front to push air through the radiator?

Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:48 am

vanny wrote:Nice Work Russell! Is that an automatic fan on the front to push air through the radiator?
    It's electric, I have it hooked to a timer switch. I can turn it on when I park or if I want more air in traffic or ?.
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Img_0910
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Img_0911
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:55 am

Great!!! Thanks for including the pic so I could get a better look at the setup!

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:09 pm

Russell are the aluminum angles bolted through the sides of the 2nd gen doghouse?

Never mind, I found some of your earlier pics that answered my question. NICE WORK!!!

Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:44 am

wideload wrote:Russell are the aluminum angles bolted through the sides of the 2nd gen doghouse?

Never mind, I found some of your earlier pics that answered my question. NICE WORK!!!
    They are bolted to the frame where the original radiator support was bolted on. I have nothing attached to the doghouse so it can be removed with everything working.
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:42 am

When I painted my Van I didn't take the windows out, I taped around the rubber. I bought new rubber awhile ago but have been putting off installing it because I knew I would have to re-paint the brown around the windows.
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 W1110
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 W1210
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Rubber13
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Rubber14
    The windshield rubber was too long and had to be cut down to fit.
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Rubber15
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Rubber16
    Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe - Page 8 Rubber17
    It's all back together now, took all week but I'm happy to have it all sealed up properly.

jrdunn96 likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 am