BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe

Russell

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2015-12-08

Re: Russell's '66 Sportvan Deluxe

Post by Russell on Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:29 pm

As some of you know I put a 283 in my Van about a year ago, I bought the engine built and complete, it ran well but not quite like I thought it should.
I have a friend who owns a shop here in town who I consider to be a very good mechanic. He told me work had been slow at his shop and I told him about my Van, I drove it there and he took the engine apart. It seems that the heads were not torqued properly and water had been getting into one of the cylinders.

It does have roller rockers but the lock screws were loose,

it had double gaskets under the valve covers for clearance, it also had a few leaks including the fuel pump, oil pan etc. also the distributor cap was melted some inside.

I went over today to look at it and he started it up, he still has to hook up some wires and tune it to where he likes it. I will be able to pick it up on tues.
vanny

Number of posts : 10448
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:18 pm

Glad to hear it worked out for you, Russell! He's a good friend to help you get things back in order. I hope it runs like a top for you! cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
Russell

Post by Russell on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:54 am

Last weekend I took a couple of friends up to Long Beach for the motorcycle show and swap meet. My heater core started leaking slightly onto the floor on the passengers feet. Yesterday I pulled it out, (not as easy as I thought)

This is one of the things I loved about my VW Vans, No water problems.
Russell

Post by Russell on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:01 am

Another thing I was able to do was replace my Parking brake cable and beef up the sides of the plastic wheel with some washers.

I found some 2" washers but had to drill out the center hole to let the washer fit flush against the sides of the plastic wheel and added a washer onto the sleeve.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:14 pm