VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
samsvan
Skulptorchaz
6 posters

Dog house lift - done it?

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Dog house lift - done it?  Empty Dog house lift - done it?

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:31 pm

Hey, just curious, has anyone "lifted" the lid on their dog house? I am going to bring the low front half up to the same height as the back. Does anyone know or can for see a problem with that?
    It's a two fold problem solver. I'm putting in a taller radiator for the 292 and my boy will be able to sit there easier. Smile (and btw, my "boy" is 4 legged and furry. Smile )
    I don't for see any "issues" but, ya just never know.
    Thanks gents!!
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Dog house lift - done it?  Empty Re: Dog house lift - done it?

Post by samsvan Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:01 pm

It might hit the roof when you open it?
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:46 am

The low front/slope to the back might have something to do with air flow or just designed to clear the air cleaner? or was it just a convenience thing for the driver for parcels, notebooks, etc. back in the day? but with a bigger radiator, it should compensate if it is designed to direct the airflow....I think there is a picture somewhere of a custom full height one some where here or at VCVC
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:19 pm

Thanks guys. Hopefully it won't affect the flow. I guess I have to try it. I may also do the "tunnel" thing. If nothing else, it will make that space more useful.
    Riconine
    Riconine

Number of posts : 53
    Registration date : 2016-01-03

Post by Riconine Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:45 am

I've been working on my '67 & thinking of flipping the doghouse around front to back. This would let me install an auxiliary fan above the front of the motor on a thermostat to cool it down after shut off. I'm thinking this would help push some of the heat down &out of the doghouse. Anyone tried this??

I may have to re-think this as I just got a Weber 2-barrel to replace the original carb., might be to tall with the adapter.

Cheers Ric Cool
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:44 pm

Rico this is one of the more popular ways to cool things down after you shut it off. You can wire it up from a timer type switch so it will run for some time then shut it's self off. I'm pretty sure this one on Donivans van is a Toyota fan of some kind.

Dog house lift - done it?  Vanfan10

Riconine
    Riconine

Number of posts : 53
    Registration date : 2016-01-03

Post by Riconine Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks Wideload - I have an after market 12" fan w/ a thermostat switch. I was planning on mounting it above the motor blowing down & out the bottom of the doghouse. Hopefully keeping the carb from boiling over after shut down. I have the belly pan on mine mounted with 1 1/2" spacers in front, my thought being that it would act as an air scoop pushing more air into the doghouse. The belly pan had been cut at the first louver for access,I filled this back in with some diamond plate.
    At this point this is all theory as the van isn't roadworthy quite yet. We'll see how it all works when it's back on the road.

Cheers - Ric Cool
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:35 am

Update:
    I flipped the lid and also had to add a rectangular section to clear my Weber carb. I'm hoping it will be fine. The radiator went in fine but sits a little lower too. I'm building a guard for it, underneath it, and then a custom belly pan. I will get some pix for you all.
    I put 2 - 11'' fans on the radiator (pix in another thread) catty corner from each other, at the inlet and outlet. I am going to switch them thru a three position switch. One position where they will operate (via the heat sensor of course) when the ignition is on - this is for in the winter when a little extra heat is a good thing, when stopped. And the other position will be wired straight to hot so the fans will operate (via the sensor) after I turn off the engine off - for in the summer time when I don't want heat in there. It sounds good on paper. Time will tell if it is actually worth while.
    Chaz
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:15 pm

the weber carb and adapter should be lower than the original.  had a 32/36 on my 250 and was 3/4" lower than the Rochester. I took the air cleaner and cut out the bottom, welded in a piece of sheetmetal and cut opening to fit the weber carb. air cleaner was from a mid '70's truck that sat offset already but you could do this with any air cleaner since your cutting the bottom anyway. I still have it if you want it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm