VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Insulating - On wall board or metal van surface? Plus, lizard skin.

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Insulating - On wall board or metal van surface? Plus, lizard skin. Empty Insulating - On wall board or metal van surface? Plus, lizard skin.

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:08 pm

I have been reading a bit on insulating my van. It looks like the previous owner stuffed some carpet padding in behind the wall board for insulation. Mad Probably not well, either. I'm going to pull the walls down and see what I got.
    Once I do, I'm going to paint the walls with home made "Lizard Skin". (See here: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alternative-lizard-skin-103610.html) If you read this, and it is LOOOOONG with LOTS of GREAT info, this stuff sounds pretty darn good for us. I'm also going to do both sides of the dog house with it as well.
    Anyway, after that, I am going to put in some more sound deadening insulation as well. I read where there should be air space to keep the moisture from staying in there so I was wondering if any of you know if it would be better to attach the insulation to the wall board or the van skin? I was thinking it might be better (maybe only marginally) to attach it to the wall board. Thoughts?
    A product sold by Home Depot (I think it's called Peel n Stick) that is much like Boom Mat (or that sort of stuff) but, way cheaper is supposed to be just about as good. The only draw back was that it might peel off the steel skin with enough heat since it was not intended for vertical or over head use. I was thinking attaching it to the wall board might be beneficial in this case but if the home made lizard skin works, that might negate that issue as well.
    I'm thinking about the foil bubble wrap stuff or the foil jute stuff for the walls as well.
    Any thoughts ??
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Insulating - On wall board or metal van surface? Plus, lizard skin. Empty Re: Insulating - On wall board or metal van surface? Plus, lizard skin.

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:10 pm

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:57 am