VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Split manifold. Do any of you run them?

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Split manifold. Do any of you run them?  Empty Split manifold. Do any of you run them?

Post by Skulptorchaz Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:09 pm

I have been kicking around the idea of splitting my manifold. I'm not sure if there is a correct way to do it or not. From what I can tell, there isn't.
    It seems easy enough to do (I have a welding shop) but I am wondering if there is a pay off in performance or economy?? From what i can tell, it will help the engine breathe on the top end but you give up a little torque on the bottom end. Do any of you know if this is true or not? I want to split the exhaust somewhere to go to the sidepipes. If there isn't a payoff, I'll just "Y" pipe it. I'm not worried about the top end except for maybe a little better fuel mileage going down the road. I think I'd rather have more torque on the bottom end but I am running a 292 which should have plenty.
    I was trying to get on a site called stovebolt.com but they haven't accepted my application yet. They are only about six bangers.
    What do you guys know???
    Thanks,
    Chaz
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Split manifold. Do any of you run them?  Empty Re: Split manifold. Do any of you run them?

Post by kookykrispy Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:25 am

The trick here is welding cast iron, but if you can do that, then you are in business.  I understand a high nickel content rod is the way to go.  I had my manifold split by a guy in Texas.

Spitting the chevy 6 cylinder manifold is a great idea.  It provides a performance increase becase you are dividing each exhaust pulse front to rear.  The firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4, so with a split manifold, the exhaust is divided front-back-front-back-front-back.  This creates more efficiency due to the front and rear cylinder banks now each having their own exhaust.  The exhaust is divided and the exhaust pulses do not have to 'bump' into each other as they exit the engine, creating much less turbulence, and freeing up the exhaust.  

Much better than running them all together, and then splitting the exhaust apart with a Y pipe.  

Here's my split job on a 292 manifold

Split manifold. Do any of you run them?  DSC00179

Split manifold. Do any of you run them?  DSC00180

On my manifold, we welded in a divider plate directly under the carb.

Here's a great article about how to split a 230-250 manifold:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/low-buck-split-manifold-for-chevy-in-line-6.365906/
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Split manifold. Do any of you run them?  Empty Re: Split manifold. Do any of you run them?

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:20 pm

THANKS Kooky!!!!!!!!!!
    THAT is what I was wanting to know. I'll check the link.
    Kudos buddy!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm