VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

292 six cylinder, too big???

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

292 six cylinder, too big???  Empty 292 six cylinder, too big???

Post by Skulptorchaz Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:12 pm

I have a 292 six rebuilt and on the stand ready to put into a van (when I find one). I was going to use it in a chopped top '51 Chevy sedan I chopped but somebody wanted it more than me. Smile They wanted to go small block.
    Anyway, I was just wondering if there was any drawbacks to the 292. I know they are a bit taller. If there is issues, I'll look more seriously for one with a good mill. I just thought that would be a good stump puller and then run freeway flyer gears.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

292 six cylinder, too big???  Empty Re: 292 six cylinder, too big???

Post by donivan65 Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:36 pm

I seen them in vans,,,,,,,,you need a plate to extend the motor mount since it is in a different place,,,,,
    65-G10-guy
    65-G10-guy

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2012-11-16

Post by 65-G10-guy Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:40 am

I have a 292 in mine.  Good motor. I'm running stock 336 gears with a 3 speed manual OD trans. Inline 6 with a 3 in the tree is a novel concept now days.  Runs and drives well, I haven't driven it enough yet to judge mileage  On a 292 the right motor mount and fuel pump exchange positions.  The other issue is the thermostat housing will be above the radiator. We solved this by putting a bleeder fitting on the housing and any time the system is drained we use a vacuum pump to make sure coolant is at the top. Cooling is always a challenge in these vans so we added a custom aluminum rad from Mattsons. I am running electric fan only.  I sounds like you have some experience with hot rods so you should be fine. I would not recommend it for someone without some fabricating skills because it will take some adjustments and creativity. 230 motor is easier, but if you want to be a bit different the 292 is a real torque monster. Good luck on your project, Jerry
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:16 pm

Dang Jerry!! Thank you sooo much!! Great info and I won't have to reinvent the mouse trap.
    Yeah, I build a few cars. My specialty is metal work. I'm also a metal sculptor. (www.amstudio.us for a little of my work)
    I know they are torque monsters and I thought with maybe a 700r4 and freeway flyers in the rear, it might eek out a little mileage and still have enough bottom end to have fun with.
    All the info you posted REALLY helps - providing I can get into a van. And doing the work is no problem as I own a welding shop.
    One of my (sorta) draw backs is I need to thin my herd before I embark on another project. (I am having eye problems and I "think" lost most sight out of my right eye - if I even get to keep it. Jury is out.) I need to sell my BIG "baby" which is a '77 GMC bus conversion coach (think tour bus) as I am not comfortable driving it with one eye. Yeah, others do it but I don't want to take the chance ruining someone else's day.
    Thank you again and if I can find a van that works for me, I may be bothering you again! Smile If you (or anyone else) thinks of anything else, I'm all ears!!
    Chaz
    65-G10-guy
    65-G10-guy

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2012-11-16

Post by 65-G10-guy Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:50 am

You are welcome anytime.  Sorry to hear you are having eye issues.  I have some eye challenges as well. I don't do as much welding and fabricating as I would like to, just to minimize the risk.  I put the jr. west coast mirrors on my van for good visibility. They don't look as cool but they are more in keeping with the original utilitarian nature of these vans. I have a van with the windows in the side doors. I used to have a sport van with all windows and that was much safer for visibility.  Since you haven't got a van yet I would consider a sport van or watching for a display van.  They are much more rare but pretty cool. You could even create display van by adding windows to the right of a regular van. No windows on the driver side and all windows on the passenger side.  Good visibility and good on the cool factor too.  PM me if you have any questions. Jerry
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:36 pm

Thanx Jerry!!
    Hey, I JUST sent a check for a van!! WOOO HOOOO!!! I saw it here in the G vans for sale .
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t51399-1964-gmc-handivan-glenwood-springs-5250
    He said it had a good 6 cylinder but did not have a lot of power for the mountains. The 292 will be the hot ticket.
    Thanx for the kind words about my eye. I gotta tell ya, it really does suck.
    This one doesn't have windows so I will be looking at some sort of West Coasties as well. The display vans would be cool but I really like the "windowless" ones. I will probably put a back up camera on it too. They are cheap nowadays and I have one on my coach.
    When I get it and get around to swapping the engine, I'll probably be bugging you. Maybe for some pics of the mods I will need to do.
    THANK YOU AGAIN for the help!!
    Chaz
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:13 am

Cool ,Glad to hear you found your van Chaz. Looks like a Nice one for a Real good price.(couple$$$ grand in just wheels,tires & side pipes) I got west coast & jr's when you need your mirrors,looks like its had both. (west coast 3 holes lower,WC JR's 4 holes ,just below window
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:23 am

Thanks Savage! I appreciate the help!! I hope I can return the favor someday.
    I do have a buddy who I am trying to "groom" into buying one. I think yours would be the BEST possible fit. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to mention "why" (at least not publicly) but, it would be perfect. And I mean PERFECT!!!
    Take good care!
    Chaz
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:12 am

Chaz, Let us know when your van gets to you, You going out to get it,or transport??
    Maybe starte new post on you new van project. Another Early in Indiana,Cool
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:11 am

It's being shipped. It's about a day too far for driving.
    He sent me a boatload of pics already. I'll be taking some as I go as well. Most everything seems to be done....sorta.
    I want to drop in a 292 and 700R4 trany and maybe change the rear gear for the optimum set-up. I'm not sure what the rear gear would be. Suggestions or places to check it out??? I'd like to be able to lose a few miles of tire wear at a stop light Rolling Eyes on occasion but, I'd REALLY also like to get some mileage out of her too. (You know... I want it all Smile )
    I want to be flexible with the interior as well. I want to do it nice for 8 people to be able to go out to eat in, or to a hot rod show or whatever but, I want to be able to pull out the seating and haul stuff as well. Being a fabricator, I have some ideas but, I'm always open for others.
    And in regards to that, I have been kicking around a "wart" (heat and AC on roof) to be able to create some comfort. I'm not sure here as I have never even driven it but, it seems like that might be the way to go. Coleman has a Mach 8 that is only 8 inches tall and sleek looking.
    I'm definitely going to be asking for help and scanning some of the older posts.
    Thanks a lot buddy!!!
    Chaz
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:09 pm

Well, as you guys know, I got my van! I was planning on just driving it for awhile but as luck would have it, I messed up my exhaust (headers) getting it off the trailer. We started to straighten them out and I said the heck with it...Get the 292 out!! It was only a 194 anyway. No wonder it didn't do well in the mountains of CO.!! Sooooo..... here we go.
    We started taking stuff off this evening. We should pull it tomorrow. I want to insulate (homemade lizard skin - http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alternative-lizard-skin-103610.html ) before I tuck my 292 back in. The inside of the dog house was AMAZINGLY clean. Man, I am thankful of that. So I will coat the inside with homemade lizard skin and see if I can find some good (cheaper)sound deadener to go over it at the BIG swap meet in Louisville this weekend. Hopefully I will be able to pick up a few other things as well. Any suggestions? Question
    I'm going to be looking for a radiator, electric fan and steering column. I was kind of looking for a tilt column for when I drop in an automatic (700R4). My buddy is looking for the trany for me to rebuild but, it probably won't happen right away. I'm OK with the three on the tree but the linkage needs a little lubing or something.
    Jerry, I'm curious about the right side front engine mount. My guess is I will have to use an electric fuel pump or can the mechanical be retained? (It doesn't look like it.) I would even consider buying the mount if I could find it - just to save time. Any chance you could get a picture and post it? Or would you know where to find one? Oh, and does the stock trany bolt up OK as far as clutch/pressure plate goes?
    Another question - what about door hardware? Mine are a little sloppy and I need two door locks. Where could I get those?
    Well, I will post more and more picture as this saga continues.
    Thanks again for the help guys!!
    Chaz
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:26 pm

Is there a reason you are going with a 700r and not a 200-4r?  A 200-4r would fit better and you would not have to shorten your driveshaft.

I am confused about why you are referring to the existing engine as a 292, and also as a 194?

There is an adapter plate available which relocates the motor mount aft to the similar location as the 194-230-250, but the adapter plate covers up the fuel pump area, so you must use an electric pump if you use the adapter plate.

You can retain the mechanical pump, if you fabricate your own mount for the 292.

I think the simplest way to do this is modify the passenger side motor mount tower on the crossmember. The motor mount towers are attached to the crossmember by larger rivets. You could drill out these rivets, and then move the motor mount tower, maybe turn it around, or modify it as necessary to locate the motor mount in the correct location for the 292. Once you have settled of the correct placement, weld the tower back into place. By modifying the motor mount tower, you can then clear the 292 fuel pump and retain the mechanical pump.
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:34 am

Thanx Kooky!!
    On the trany, if I'm not mistaken, the 200 trany takes a computer. I always use the 700's that are 2 wire. Just easier but they are getting harder to find. I am running 2 of them now in my other vehicles. But if the 200 is such that I wouldn't have to shorten the drive shaft, I'd look at that option, altho I can have it shortened and balanced for a about 100.00.
    My reference to the 292 as to "to get it out", was to get the new motor out of my other shop, where I had it moth balled on a stand. Sorry. I'm far from a great literary figure! LOL Smile My language isn't much better either. Smile Smile (Navy ruined me. Smile )
    Good info on the adapter plate. I was just curious if there was some sort of actual "mount" that would have gotten around the fuel pump. I can see where a "plate" would just make it in the way. I will definitely look at moving the "tower". Since I'm not that far yet, I'm not sure what it looks like in there. But that to me would be a better fix. I'm not against running an electric pump, and have run several of them but, I'd like to keep this mechanical if possible.

I was wondering guys, should I be posting in the "In between the seats" forum for all this?? I definitely want to do this correctly. I was thinking I should run separate posts for all my questions, if for no there reason so that people in the future can search the questions better. (???)
    Thanks again!!!
    Chaz
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:45 am

The 200-4r does NOT require a computer.  

The 200-4r is smaller dimensionally and fits better into our small vans.  It is the same overall length compared to the original trans+bellhousing.  

On a 90" wheelbase van, the stock driveshaft is already very short.  Makes sense to not have to shorten it further.  I know some guys have run into vibe problems after shortening the driveshaft.

I noted you mentioned you have a welding shop, so just modify the passenger side motor mount tower and make it work for the 292. That way you can keep the mechanical pump.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:54 am