VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles Empty Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:21 pm

I've been curious how the old and new pieces differ and just got my repros today from Brothers Truck.

Decided it was cheaper to just get new ones than to chrome old ones and wanted pit free examples.

There are definitely some differences and I wasn't even sure my old ones were truly old or not, but I believe they all are, even if some were made a few years later than the others.

First thing I noticed is that weight of the new pieces is much heavier.  Not sure if that is due to different metal composition or thicker castings.  The new ones look to have beefed up design on the back side and the window cranks are slightly different at the underside edges.

Second difference is the hue of the repros vs. originals.  Originals have a deeper look and brighter luster, even when pitted. More silvery.  The new ones have a darker cast, where you see more black when viewing.

There are also subtle design cues.  The originals have a deeper center line on most of mine while the repros have less definition on the center line but more depth on the rounded edge designs.

All my older pieces have the writing as shown even if some may have more or less design definition than the other older pieces due to different production times.

Both new castings seem to be slightly shorter than the originals.

In each example, the new piece is on the left.

Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles Window10
    Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles Window11
    Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles Window12
    Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles Window13
    Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles Window14
    Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles Window15
    Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles Window16

Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles Window17
    Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles Window18
    Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles Window19
    Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles Window20
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles Empty Re: Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles

Post by Digz Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:52 pm

The pics reminded me of the main difference. The offset set screw in the original is designed to get the handle of the screw driver out away from the door panel. Just makes it easier.
    No1rascal
    No1rascal

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2013-02-19

Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles Empty Re: Photo differences between Repro and Original Interior Door/Window Handles

Post by No1rascal Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:53 pm

Notice any difference in fit & function?
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:44 am

Nice presentation...good info, thanks! They will look nice on your van.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:44 pm

No1rascal wrote:Notice any difference in fit & function?

I have not installed yet.  I asked the guy at Brothers before purchasing if there was any difference between old and new.  He just responded that using Locktite was a good idea because new and old tend to back out of the screws or become loose.  Didn't have my van in use long enough to verify that myself.

I like the look of the original "silver" to the chrome better, otherwise they seem just fine.  I may have my originals redone at some point but these are really inexpensive.

I will tell you that Brothers needs to get it together.  I ordered before Xmas, had to call three times to get my order shipped (used Paypal.)  Added to the order since they hadn't shipped, and they still screwed up my second half of the order.  Not sure if this is their norm.

I alwasys presumed they cast new ones by casting off the originals, but the backside design is clearly different, so not so sure about that.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:06 am

they can`t reproduce exact replacements identical to the originals,
    it`s a copyright law, gm would have the right to sue for infringement rights,
    that`s why all aftermarket parts are not identical to original ones.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:07 am

nice looking handles, lmc and classic parts also sells these and they are both
    located in the Midwest, not sure where brothers is at

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:46 am