BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

need some HELP (ideas) on how to communicate between buildings...

chebby
Admin

Number of posts : 1700
Registration date : 2008-05-01

need some HELP (ideas) on how to communicate between buildings...

Post by chebby on Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:25 am

here's the situation... I live in a non-friendly phone signal area (have to climb a hill or go down the road to make calls)... my boss (she's 78 years old, in poor health) wishes to be able to communicate with me (I live on the property) if needed... right now we are using walkie-talkies because they are only so good and are powered only by batteries, she got the idea of CB radios... I don't see that, needing antennas and all... but I'm sure there is a solution

also she is thinking to possibly expand to other buildings, on the property and a bit further away...

does any one have any ideas of what kind of intercom system would work? has anyone else used something like this before?

I find it most disconcerting, to realize that the smartest member of our expedition is a dog (from Last of the Dogmen)
RF Man

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2014-03-14

Re: need some HELP (ideas) on how to communicate between buildings...

Post by RF Man on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:42 am

Your elderly boss actually has a good idea. CB radio's, however hoaky they may seem, are still an inexpensive form of communications. They use AM modulation and are authorized for more power than the little 2-way radios you get at discount stores. Professional 2-way radios( i.e. Motorola) have an effective range that is greater than the little cheap guys, but are pretty costly. Long range Wi-Fi communications gets even more expensive---and because of higher frequency, don't penetrate buildings well. You can only communicate in 2 ways---through wire or over the air(RF). Your solution is to find the cheapest RF----most likely CB.
Good luck Mike
wideload
Moderator 1st Class
Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:50 am

No land line phones in the area??

Zuffen

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Post by Zuffen on Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:43 pm

If the two buildings are on the same property why not run cables and use an intercom system.

It could be easily expanded to other buildings and they are quite cheap.
samsvan

Number of posts : 401
Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:45 pm

What do cops use for their personal radios?
EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2191
Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:49 pm

If you have internet signal use Skype or messenger call her thru facebook messenger.
GMman

Number of posts : 797
Registration date : 2014-10-15

Post by GMman on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:29 am

A hand held CB radio is your best and cheapest option Chebby. When I lived down south, my friend and I used hand held CB's in our cars when we took trips back to Iowa.
http://www.grainger.com/product/UNIDEN-Handheld-CB-Radio-32RT59?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/32RT59_AW01?$smthumb$
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=handheld+cb+radio
chebby
Admin

Post by chebby on Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:47 am

wideload wrote:No land line phones in the area??

we got landlines, yes (we're rural, not completely out of touch even though it may seem like it Very Happy )... but I for one don't want to pay for landline service for myself just because...

I find it most disconcerting, to realize that the smartest member of our expedition is a dog (from Last of the Dogmen)
chebby
Admin

Post by chebby on Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:56 am

RF Man wrote:Your elderly boss actually has a good idea. CB radio's, however hoaky they may seem, are still an inexpensive form of communications. They use AM modulation and are authorized for more power than the little 2-way radios you get at discount stores. Professional 2-way radios( i.e. Motorola) have an effective range that is greater than the little cheap guys, but are pretty costly. Long range Wi-Fi communications gets even more expensive---and because of higher frequency, don't penetrate buildings well. You can only communicate in 2 ways---through wire or over the air(RF). Your solution is to find the cheapest RF----most likely CB.
Good luck Mike

thanks for the good info... I guess the since we have been using walkie talkies, is although they may work mostly for our purpose, problem is they are dependent on batteries.... I use rechargeable's and my charger seems to be in constant use because... (she was unhappy with her charger and batteries and returned them)...

do those hand held CBs come with a "base" for charging purposes? etc...

chebby
Admin

Post by chebby on Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:59 am

Zuffen wrote:If the two buildings are on the same property why not run cables and use an intercom system.

It could be easily expanded to other buildings and they are quite cheap.

running cables is not an option... I was hoping someone knew something about wireless intercom systems...

chebby
Admin

Post by chebby on Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:03 am

EconoUSAparts wrote:If you have internet signal use Skype or messenger call her thru facebook messenger.

her puter is active 24/7 in her office... but I can't do that (I wish)... thanks for the idea Smile

chebby
Admin

Post by chebby on Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:17 am

GMman wrote:A hand held CB radio is your best and cheapest option Chebby. When I lived down south, my friend and I used hand held CB's in our cars when we took trips back to Iowa.
http://www.grainger.com/product/UNIDEN-Handheld-CB-Radio-32RT59?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/32RT59_AW01?$smthumb$
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=handheld+cb+radio

I see a possibility here! Very Happy

GMman

Number of posts : 797
Registration date : 2014-10-15

Post by GMman on Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:06 am

chebby
Admin

Post by chebby on Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:00 am

you are a bucket load of knowledge on this! Very Happy

now "color me stupid" for just a moment... isn't Includes a DC 12-Volt Power Cord the same as getting your power source from "the wall" vs by batteries?

chebby
Admin

Post by chebby on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:11 am

chebby wrote:

you are a bucket load of knowledge on this! Very Happy

now "color me stupid" for just a moment... isn't Includes a DC 12-Volt Power Cord the same as getting your power source from "the wall" vs by batteries?

hello... honestly... just want to make SURE on this "no brainer" really... Neutral

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:00 pm