BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Gallop in engine

Chroma66

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2011-03-02

Gallop in engine

Post by Chroma66 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:52 am

Hello,

I got my van back from the mechanic with a new water pump. The engine sounds pretty smooth, except for a "Brrump...brrump" and a slight slowing down during the "brrumps". It goes away when I accelerate. Seems like something simple. Am I right, van nation? I appreciate your feedback as always, and happy turkey day.
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Number of posts : 11462
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Re: Gallop in engine

Post by donivan65 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:37 am

could be lots of things,,,,,,,so lets test for a lean fuel condition,,,,,see if the carburetor is loose,,,,,get a can of carburetor cleaner and spray down and the outside of the carburetor when the engine acts up,,,,,,see if anything changes,,,,,,did it have this problem before?
kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:29 pm

Sounds like symptom of a vacuum leak?
Chroma66

Post by Chroma66 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:00 am

It's new- it only started happening after I got it back from the mechanic to replace a water pump (don't have access to a garage right now myself).

I checked the carb screws on top and they seem tight, but I'll get some of that cleaner and check the fuel line when I get a chance. I'll post again when I have more info.
Chroma66

Post by Chroma66 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:17 am

One other thing-trouble starting. The engine ignites but doesn't catch, like it's not getting fuel. I can get it to start by taking off choke and opening the throttle. This is also new.
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:45 am

the choke kind of adds gas ,,so by opening it and holding the gas pedal down to get it to start, that sounds like the engine is flooding out,,,,,,,,can you see or smell gas down the carburetor when it wont start?
Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:18 pm

likely that mechanic removed a vacumn line or broke one while doing the work?? look close & when running @ idle & symptoms exist feel around on some areas near carb & dizzy areas.
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:52 pm

When the engine is cold, take off the air cleaner,,,,,,Do you pull a knob to set the choke or is it automatic? If it is an automatic or electric choke, is the choke open,,,,,,when you step on the gas, does it close,,,,,,when you crank the engine and it starts, does the choke open up about a 1/4" to let some air in to let the engine run,,,,,,,,we need some clues so we can come up with answers,,,,,,,
Chroma66

Post by Chroma66 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:44 pm

The starting issues may have been weather related, no problems now that it's warmed up.

The noise is very rhythmic and seems to follow this pattern: No gas - smooth. Low gas - BRUMPbrumpBRUMPbrump.... Medium gas - Brrump...Brrump...Brrump.... High gas - smoothes out again.

It's a manual choke. I'll have more info tomorrow; It has not been easy to find time hence the delays in replying.
Chroma66

Post by Chroma66 on Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:20 am

Here's some more info:

Yes the choke valve does open 1/4" when the engine starts.

When I press the gas pedal (engine off), I can see the bottom of the carb where the fuel comes in move (sorry don't know the term). Looks like it's lowering/opening.

I will update re: use of carb cleaner. I'm gonna try to check vacuum lines, fuel filter, and the screws on the accelerator pump soon, as well.

Last edited by Chroma66 on Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:42 am

So you think it could be related to the new water pump,,,,,,,,,then take the fan belt off after you hear the noise and run the engine for a few minutes,,,,,,,see if the noise goes away or changes,,,,,,,,with the belt on,,,,,,,,have someone listen at the tail pipe see if the noise kinda comes out of there,,,,,,feel the valve cover,,,,,make the noise,,,,,,do you feel anything like the noise,,,,,,,,DO YOU HAVE TO BE MOVING,,,,,or is the noise there when you are sitting there in neutral?????
Chroma66

Post by Chroma66 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:13 pm

Yep, only happens when the car is moving. It seems to happen after I've been cruising at one speed for about 5 minutes. Then I step on the gas, and it smoothes out. I sprayed some carb cleaner in there. The goy at OReillys told me he puts starter fluid in his carb and sets it on fire to burn out the dirt haha. Fuel lines look ok and it doesn't sound that bad. I should be able to get underneath tomorrow.
wideload
Moderator 1st Class
Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:53 pm

Just a thought, any of your "friends" been around the van when you weren't looking? Might want to check the drive shaft for a rag or something tied around it Very Happy Very Happy Smile

donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:02 pm

is it a noise or vibration,,,,,,with the engine and air cleaner off, shine a light down the carburetor,,,,,as you pump the gas pedal, do you see gas squirting down in it?
AzDon

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon on Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:13 pm

I think what he is describing is a "rich" misfire (flooding) that comes on while under light cruise and clears out under heavy acceleration. The "loading up" would be accompanied by heavy black smoke and would act as if opening the choke was delayed......Having a vacuum leak or leaking vacuum hose would be the "lean" inverse problem and would probably require more choke than usual to draw enough gas and remain running and would probably not include a misfire, but would produce the type of fumes that burn the eyes......
Read the spark plugs: Black or wet indicates overfueling. Light grey soot indicates happy fire. White soot or melted electrodes means lean!
If you've got a manual choke, it's possible that the folks at the shop ran it with the choke the whole time they had it and fouled the plugs.......
Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 on Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:35 am

best bet=!!---???believe every autozone & shucks employee!! They all know whats best from =??EXPERIENCE??!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad affraid lol! lol! lol!

What id believe is about anyone over the age of 55!! cheers Twisted Evil
Chroma66

Post by Chroma66 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:00 pm

According to the mechanic the bolts to the carb are stripped so it keeps shaking loose. They don't see to know what to do about it. I'm having a hard time working on it
myself now-no time no tools, no garage. But I got funds, so the mechanic wins I guess.

Last edited by Chroma66 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chroma66

Post by Chroma66 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:03 pm

Thanks again for the good advice - I trust this site more than these cats at the garage!
Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:10 pm

Keenserts work =Great!! Helicoils too.
Chroma66

Post by Chroma66 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:18 pm

All right!! That is great to hear, I will tell them tomorrow. Won't I sound clevere! I always give credit where its due though- I will post what they say if it's interesting.Thanks again!
Chroma66

Post by Chroma66 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:32 am

I now have the space and time to take a look at this engine so here goes.

I'd better start with the carb.. The word I got is that the bolt holes are stripped beyond Keenserts/Helicoils. The other day the engine was really acting up; I looked at the carb. and sure enough one of the screws was all the way out and fuel was leaking out of the bottom. I tried to screw it back in but just like the mech. says, it's stripped. I don't know if this is causing my problems (black smoke, fuel smell) but it seems like the priority at this point.

Thank you again van clan for helping out a newb.

Here's the screw dropped out:

Top of carb with screw out. Also note the frayed gasket (yellow arrow):

donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:26 am

OK,,,,,that Carter YF carburetor is my favorite,,,,,,,but that vacuum assisted accelerator pump aint,,,,,,,so you got the threads in the top cover stripped out,,,,,,get a 3/16 x 3 1/4 screw and nut and bolt it all together or use 2 smaller ones to hold the top, bowl and base together,,,,,,get or make a new gasket,,,,,,,,

Chroma66

Post by Chroma66 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:46 pm

Looks like I have my weekend project. Thanks donivan 65; I'll be posting on Monday hopefully. Have a good weekend everybody!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:06 pm