BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

SHIFTER Ideas ?

Oscarm

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2014-05-06

SHIFTER Ideas ?

Post by Oscarm on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:08 pm

Looking at adding electric power steering to my Epup. (Equinox / Saturn unit). Looks straightforward. but what to do with the automatic shifter? Still running restored C4, but need a nice (neat / small) shifter and indicator to run it, when steering system is installed in column. For the job they do, most shifter packages seem big and clunky...especially if mounted on the doghouse.
Have any of you installed an automatic shifter that doesn't look like some Flintstone-era axe.? Something dash-mounted ?
Mounting it on the floor requires a shift lever ridiculously long for the job it's doing.
Anybody have pix of a slick installation? Thanks guys!
vanny

Number of posts : 8884
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Re: SHIFTER Ideas ?

Post by vanny on Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:58 pm

Oscar, if you click on the Search tab at the top of the page and type "shifter" and search on it, there are a ton of threads about shifters and quite a few different ideas. All depends on the look you're going for. I know I've seen an example somewhere on here where they installed a Dodge automatic dash-shifter in an Econoline as well. Looked pretty cool. At some point down the road, this is a decision I will have to make as well so I'd love to see more examples as well. I know that Millwright (Tom) had a pretty cool set up in his latest Chevy that I liked. Good Luck and let us know what you come up with. Very Happy

Post by Oscarm on Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks 'Vanny'....did the "Search" thing first, but couldn't find anything that might be considered 'subtle / compact'....Maybe somebody out there has something interesting.
vanny

Number of posts : 8884
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny on Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:29 pm

I'm sure someone will jump in...I'm anxious to see what's out there as well!

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2016-05-22

Post by jifop on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:35 pm

I'm also looking for ideas for shifters!
Oscarm

Post by Oscarm on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:55 pm

Closest I've been able to find is a B&M 80681 for Mustangs. Maybe narrow enough to slip between the seat and doghouse. Unfortunately, the cable pull needs to exit the rear of the shifter rather than the front. Needs more investigtion....
Seth G
Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 1726
Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G on Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:25 pm

I think you could modify on of the lokar shifters to be mounted on the front of the doghouse. I looked into it a little bit, it looked doable with a little re-engineering and fab to brace and relocate the roller. The member with the dropped van and trailer went with a long arm floor mount lokar shifter, but I know that isn't what your after. They make some firewall mount style shifters, but you'd need to fab a mount and not sure how it would look or be hidden enough. You could look for a dodge dash shifter.
Oscarm

Post by Oscarm on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:07 am

One of my concerns was the "PRNDL" shift indicator....Not on Lokar, but the B&M Mustang had it.
Trying to keep body mod subtle, since mine is largely a restoration. Don't want to mount anything funky on my pretty dash ! My long-term plan is for the addition of electric power steering, and that
screws up my (good) column shifter.
jifop

Post by jifop on Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:34 am

I actually think that one of these would look quite sweet sat between the seat and the doghouse lid. https://speedmaster79.com/pce2201004-3-speed-black-billet-grip-race-bandit-speedmaster-shifter-waccessories-cable/

However they are all out of stock, i do have an old vw one that could be ok but really I'm considering how to easily mod the manual column shift to work.
Oscarm

Post by Oscarm on Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:57 am

Wow. Great find! It seems to hit all the right spots. Need to track down some basic dimensions (what's the width of the housing?)....Looks like it would squeeze nicely between the seat on doghouse.
Now to find a source...
jifop

Post by jifop on Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:30 am

Yeah if I could find one in stock I'd buy one now!
jifop

Post by jifop on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:14 pm

So today I went to fit a secondhand B&M Z gate shifter using an 8ft custom cable I'd had made. What I didn't realise was that it is a front exit shifter so would have needed at least a 10 ft cable.

Anyways I ended up using the B&M ford C4 parts on my trans and a random bracket to connect the cable the the manual column shift arm. Although there is no neutral cutout, gear indicator or anyway of stopping you throwing it into park it works quite well. There's allot of play in it atm but I'll work on that (possibly the rubber damper in the shifter arm) and add some kind of indicator too.

68bigblock

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2016-03-19

Post by 68bigblock on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:07 pm

i am looking for different shifter options too, found these guys they make nice stuff
http://www.kilduffmachine.com/
jrdunn96

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:19 am

Watching a movie last weekend I saw another idea. (Wasn't much of a movie, though.) They were driving a recent Chrysler Town & Country minivan. It had a nice, small and elegant dash shifter. I assume it could be adapted and made to look right at home by some of you. I don't have any idea of availability or what years they were used. If you didn't want to hack the dash, maybe build a panel to mount it just below?

Jim
jifop

Post by jifop on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:00 am

I thought I would add to this thread, Someone suggested that I could use a Dodge A100 shifter so bought one on eBay.

I've mounted it in front of the doghouse and I think it looks perfect and period, I've yet to modify the cable bracket to accept my cable but it should work well with my C4 transmission (except position "2" which might be hard to select as it falls between "D" and "1")

What do you think?

http://iamanerd.org.uk/econoline/images/shifter1.jpg

http://iamanerd.org.uk/econoline/images/shifter2.jpg

]http://iamanerd.org.uk/econoline/images/shifter3.jpg
jrdunn96

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:09 pm

I like it! Except maybe the backwards shift pattern. But hey, if you like it, that is all that really matters.

Jim
Seth G

Number of posts : 1726
Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:22 pm

Looks good. I like it to
jifop

Post by jifop on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:47 am

Thanks guys, the shift pattern is correct now, this was a test fit and I had to modify the surround to get it to fit the right way.

In case anyone else wants to use the dodge shifter below are photos of my now extended shifter cable bracket and the shifter cable end I made up.

Modified shifter:
http://iamanerd.org.uk/econoline/images/shifter4.jpg

Cable end:
http://iamanerd.org.uk/econoline/images/shifter5.jpg

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:28 pm